It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someday - Maybe Even Soon - Your Home May Be Your Hospital

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I was searching around the internet looking at different medical issues...and I came across an article about people who are able to stay at home and get good medical care rather than stay in the hospital; it is called "Hospital At Home" and people in New Mexico have been trying it out.

What do you all think?

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I was searching around the internet looking at different medical issues...and I came across an article about people who are able to stay at home and get good medical care rather than stay in the hospital; it is called "Hospital At Home" and people in New Mexico have been trying it out.

What do you all think?

www.forbes.com...

" SOME DAY SOON YOU WILL LIVE IN HOSPITAL "

are you threatening me?

edit on 14-6-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

edit: no but seriously, this is cool.

i think everyone's homes should have little mini hospitals built into them, where robots could take care of any injury and sickness you may have.

you could walk up to the robots in the little hospital area, and say, got any ginseng? im feeling weak.

got any prozac? im depressed.

got any penicillin, SON, I AM INFECT.

help robots! halpppp

and then they say "(your name here) please lay down and we will assist you.

kay robots thanks :3

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

are you threatening me?

I think it's a good thing. Not only because of the lowers costs, but because they're in their own home. A comfortable, familiar setting. They can also have help from family members. Familiar people they can trust. Familiarity is a very good thing here because it helps make you more comfortable with things and as a result helps give you peace of mind. You have peace of mind and you're generally more happy. When you're more happy you can get better quicker. Get better quicker and the whole process can end sooner and you save money. Among other positives.

Anyway, that's my quick breakdown of the whole thing.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Im good with that. Less disease and less of a chance to contract MRSA or some other god-awful funk from the hospital.. which is pretty common.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I myself have only pulled an 8 day stretch in ICU/Telemetry and can hands down say that I cried like a big fat baby every day the doctor came in and told me that I wouldn't be going home on that day... and I rarely cry. I was so miserable I couldn't stand myself for company.

I think this would be a fantastic idea and know that we have some places here already that will set up a hospice situation in your home if you can afford it. It keeps the patient more comfortable which in turn helps with pain and recovery (If you aren't in a hospice situation that is). It also helps the family to help take care of their loved ones with room to sleep over, shower, etc. so they can stay longer and possibly provide more care.

I think there are massive benefits to this!! I love it!

edit on 6/14/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Im good with that. Less disease and less of a chance to contract MRSA or some other god-awful funk from the hospital.. which is pretty common.

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
I myself have only pulled an 8 day stretch in ICU/Telemetry and can hands down say that I cried like a big fat baby every day the doctor came in and told me that I wouldn't be going home on that day... and I rarely cry. I was so miserable I couldn't stand myself for company.

I think this would be a fantastic idea and know that we have some places here already that will set up a hospice situation in your home if you can afford it. It keeps the patient more comfortable which in turn helps with pain and recovery (If you aren't in a hospice situation that is). It also helps the family to help take care of their loved ones with room to sleep over, shower, etc. so they can stay longer and possibly provide more care.

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska

are you threatening me?

I think it's a good thing. Not only because of the lowers costs, but because they're in their own home. A comfortable, familiar setting. They can also have help from family members. Familiar people they can trust. Familiarity is a very good thing here because it helps make you more comfortable with things and as a result helps give you peace of mind. You have peace of mind and you're generally more happy. When you're more happy you can get better quicker. Get better quicker and the whole process can end sooner and you save money. Among other positives.

Anyway, that's my quick breakdown of the whole thing.

i agree ^_^

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe

Get this.. I was an RN for yrs. Never got anything too rough or bad. That was 12 or so yrs ago. In 2009 my middle daugfhter had a transplant in which everything that could go wrong did. We LIVED in the hospital. Seriously. One issue we were in isolation and then moved to a regular room with a room mate because the floor was packed. She has a lowered immune system on purpose so she does not reject the new organ. So there we are.. and this kid is coughing her head off. Lots of kids with heart or lung transplants to this so I wasnt too alarmed. The kid only spoke spanish, and that wasnt a huge deal cause we had fun mangling spanish with her.
Then BLAM BLAM my daughter gets VERY ill.. then about 24 hrs later I was laid up. We BOTH were diagnosed with inf A h1n1. Back into isolation for a week and a half. I was LIVID and let them have it for putting a transplant kid in with a sick kid.. well when I revived from feeling as if Id died and went to hell anyway.

We survived and in 2012 she is fine, we dont live in the hospital anymore, we spend a fortune on drug co pays... and I am here to tell ya.. h1n1 is HORRIBLE!!

Yes.. Im liking this idea of a home hospital more and more...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

wow what a terrible story.

i caught h1n1 once, it made me grouchy and mean while i had it, and i couldn't stop coughing green goo EVERYWHERE.

had it for a week, and then i got better. it was BAD, but nothing like what you went through.

i really like the home idea.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Ah, Geez! I bet you were livid. That is crazy for sure. I am glad to hear she is fine after all of that. You are blessed and posts like this remind me how blessed I am . Thanks for that.

Every time I have to go for any reason there is always someone hacking in the elevator, kids with 3 foot strands of snot running down their shirts, and I try to hold my breath for as long as I can!
I swear. The day after I was admitted and was allowed to get up, I refused to until I had something on my feet!! No way in hades am I standing on that floor barefoot. eek.

My mom is an RN like you and I think that is when my phobia really kicked in.

This idea would definitely make it safer for a lot of folks like your daughter!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I think it's a good idea.
Recovery is better if you're at home.

I was hospitalized for almost a year. I hated every minute of it. Its a frightening experience to be taken from your home when you were least expecting it.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

You have an interesting sense of humor. I think staying at home as opposed to the hospital is a grand idea.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I agree with you...peace of mind...is so important. I think that many people would heal quicker if they were home.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

You have stated a very important point....in a hospital there are many other illnesses around...if at home that risk is gone.

edit on 15-6-2012 by caladonea because: correction

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

So true...the benefits outweigh a stay in the hospital...there are so many positives...I just hope every state follows NM example.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   

That was an awful experience that you and your daughter went through. I am glad you are both ok now.

I think your story is a very good example of why "hospital at home" is an excellent idea.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

Staying in a hospital for a year...needless to say...must have been very, very challenging. I just hope that "hospital at home" catches on.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I will graduate from nursing school in a few months and I work in a hospital as well. Everyone has brought up some valid points that mirror the growing trend for home health/hospitalization care (except for the robot care, which would make me useless, lol). The hospital I work at is very pro-active in involving the family in the care of the patient, from baths to linen changes to giving medications once the nurse has done the medication check offs and verifications. This helps the patient recover faster and also (please don't kill the messenger!) relieves the hospital of some liability and helps gain trust from the patient and family. Our own hospital system studies have confirmed that patients recover faster when their families are given unlimited visiting hours and are allowed to stay with them as long as they are admitted. So home hospitalized care would be the next evolving step out of this for the medical industry and the hospital system I work for. As some may already be aware, many patients are discharged even when they aren't fully recovered so recovery can continue at home and in their doctor's office because their level of care can be managed at home and also because insurance companies bean count the care provided regardless. Having said of all this, hospitals are extremely expensive, and at least here in the US where insurance companies basically are mandating care received, it will be only some time before home care will be the care of choice for the insurance industry. I have mixed feelings about this, especially with those patients who have very complicated conditions and histories and who have higher acuity care needed.It is absolutely critical that round the clock labs and diagnostics be available 24/7 for certain patient. Even though this is already being done with hospice care, hospice is more about providing comfort measures to the patient than medical management. Anyway, It will be interesting to follow the data that continues to come out of this hospital system trying this out and I'm sure it's being monitored by many in the industry. There will be pros and cons but I think more pros than cons.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

I understand your mixed feelings about this. I think (hospital at home) has more pro's than con's too. It is good to get the perspective of someone who is a medical professional and can give us more insight.

top topics

join