It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Witnessed a Green Shooting Star, a First For Me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I have had alot of amazing skywatching experiences so far this year.
This, by a long shot, takes the cake. I wish I could have caught it on camera!
It is now 10:05pm, this happened 10 minutes ago.
After the sun went down, but before dark, just dark enough to be magnificent. A huge ball of Green Fire. I'm still awe struck...

Question or two, or three...Is this common? Has anyone else seen one? What would it be made of to burn green?

It was really cool, I hope Lots of people enjoyed that...wow

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by reverandrandy

Always cool...if memory serves I believe green is copper rich.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I never saw a green one!

I didn't know that was possible !

Can't wait to see one~!!!!!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Yes copper!

I have seen one it was close so it was huge looking! Always an awesome thing!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I saw one once that was blue in color streaking across the sky then split in two and exploded in a green flash, so yeah that was pretty cool.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I also saw the same thing....i am located in central michigan...didnt get my phone out in time...it seems like along with the green there was also some blue...

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I too have seen a blue one, it was an amazing site to behold! The green one OP saw would be awesome to see too.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Here is some info:

Colors of meteors The color of many Leonids is caused by light emitted from metal atoms from the meteoroid (blue, green, and yellow) and light emitted by atoms and molecules of the air (red). The metal atoms emit light much like in our sodium discharge lamps: sodium (Na) atoms give an orange-yellow light, iron (Fe) atoms a yellow light, magnesium (Mg) a blue-green light, ionized calcium (Ca+) atoms may add a violet hue, while molecules of atmospheric nitrogen (N2) and oxygen atoms (O) give a red light. The meteor color depends on whether the metal atom emissions or the air plasma emissions dominate.

leonid.arc.nasa

Another source in conjunction:

Why do they have different colors? Meteor showers can produce different colors of light. The difference in the color of light is caused by the different chemical make ups of meteors being vaporized. Sodium particles can produce orange/yellow light, iron will produce yellow, magnesium creates bluish/green, calcium makes violet and silicate meteors produce fiery red colors.

Brighthub.com

However this source claims a slightly different story:

For example, sodium produces a bright yellow color, nickel shows as green, and magnesium as blue-white.

amsmeteors.org

So this source claims it is nickel rather than magnesium.

Unless that issue can be rectified, I will go with the most common information (Magnesium).

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PPGrocks

I'm in NE Indiana, and it was to the north of me
so wasn't that spectacular or what??

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Awesome!

Those are nice, i'm glad you had the opportunity to see one!

The one that takes the cake for me though is a few years ago, I heard the sound of a shooting star! I was lying in bed in my 10th floor apartment looking at the sky through the window. I was lucky enough to see a shooting start and even luckier to hear its sound.

It was a kind of whooshy, fire-worky crackling sound... That's the best way i can explain it.

...Even less common though, are the occasions when witnesses are able to actually hear audible sounds associated with the falling meteor. These have been described in many various ways such as: whistling, popping, booming, thunderous, whizzing, whirling, whirring, crackling, drumming, rumbling, humming, roaring and more...Source

Imagine if one blew up over a city
Tunguska style, but over a metropolitan area... that would be devastating! I hope that never happens!

edit on 14-6-2012 by Jeedawg because: typo

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm in northwest Ohio and saw this, too! It was very briefly, but a bright green streak across the sky. It was also very large and from my estimation northeast of me. It was so amazing. I was on my way home from class, driving on the highway and couldn't help but to see it. As soon as I got home I looked up what it could be. I was reading about green meteors when I saw your post.

Wanted to share the moment with you. It was breathtaking!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I've seen a green meteor. I more often see trails left in the night sky that appear green.

Thanks for reminding me how spectacular meteors can be.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Maybe it was Green Lantern coming to save the day!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
sorry, double post... stupid chinese computers!
edit on 15-6-2012 by theMat because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-6-2012 by theMat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenedEmpress

I am so glad that others on this forum saw that meteor. So cool to trianglulate the location from different points and have the info all match up so nicely.
Something drew me outside and a moment later the meteor appeared. Perfectly positioned above the local airport.

I hope other people will see this thread and report on their siting of this space rock.

There was an asteroid fly-by yesterday afternoon, I wonder if this was a common traveller with that other bigger rock? Perhaps?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

my buddy and I saw a green shooting star once! It was awesome!! and the green light started very bright and trickled off almost like a flare gun. Very cool tohugh!

top topics

join