It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Queen's Diamond Jubilee Celebrations: Was it worth it?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Now I am English, born in the midlands, but now living in the sunny south east of Ireland. I have never been much of a Royalist, and I do understand the revenue they supposedly bring into the countries coffers, but never really had much time for them. They seem to have become more and more dysfunctional and obsolete in my opinion.
That said, if you ignore or turn a blind eye to the "bloodline" links and all that, I have never really been set against them. The Queen Mother enjoyed a drink or two, and she was a keen fan of horse racing. Two things we both have in common, more than I do with some other people.
As I am now an "outsider" looking "in" having read the frenzied Jubilee posts on friends facebook pages etc, and listened to the radio from London for news, I could not help but notice the hyper hype it was given. Sure, friends said they enjoyed the extra day off, and the excuse for a few extra beers as a result, but that's about it.
To this end, my question is:
WAS IT WORTH IT?

The below link is a lengthy one, but I agree with it wholeheartedly:

endthelie.com...

I have never cited this source before so cannot vouch for its' reliability.

I am not just talking from a financial point of view, given the austerity all over Europe at the moment, but from a cultural, historical, or plain motivational feel good point of view; WAS IT WORTH IT?

Your views welcomed

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

From a societal point of view, yes it was worth it.

My sister and a few other people i know went to London (independently of each other) for the celebrations. They all shared the same story - one of happy, smiling people with not a hint of trouble anywhere. They were basically saying everything a "feel good" factor for the weekend.

Obviously, i cannot vouch for this as i was in sunny York but it does seem credible to me as they all said the same thing.

Where i am, there was a fairly similar feeling during all the parties, etc. Anything that raises the feel good factor is worth it, in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Queens Jubilee, was it worth it? I guess it depends who you ask. Personally I am a republican, so for me the whole thing was not worth it. I don't like putting people on a pedestal and don't like the fawning in the British media over the Royals.

Having said all that I do not begrudge those who enjoyed the Jubilee and got something out of it. I understand that my belief is a minority one against the iron clad consensus that rules the day in the UK, so I try not to get too wound up about it. The vast majority love the Royals and the pomp and circumstance.

I am a little more concerned about the worth of the Olympics. We have spent billions on this event and will be paying it back for decades.
edit on 13-6-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
funny that i'm still the only one that found it odd her 60th annny was on the venus ecplise that happens again in 118 something years

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

That's a very valid point, and amidst all of the celebrations I would hope that if only one thing came out of it, then it would be that the length and breadth of the populus would receive a lift.
Wouldn't care too much about big business, politics, or even the Royal families diagnosis. I would just hope that after the extended Bank Holiday, everyone would become re-energised, and pepped up a bit, if that makes sense.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
her prince is about to kick the bucket

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Yes it was worth it ...great too see the communities across the UK coming together enjoying the parties and activities. GSTQ

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Don't be a killjoy about the Olympics. I understand your objections but the fact is we have it, it starts fairly soon, so lets just embrace it.

My biggest regret is that my kids are far too young to appreciate it. If it is anything like before, that means they will have to wait 60 odd years before we get it back again.

Yes, it costs a lot, but things were looking rather rosy when we won it. Once it had been awarded, it was too late to worry about subsequent market crashes and economic woe. I honestly believe we wouldn't have bothered bidding had we known what was around the corner but we didn't so tough, too late. That leaves us with 2 choices, either we enjoy it (my choice) or we become all moody and grumpy about it (personally, i don't see the point with this option).
edit on 13-6-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mufcutcakeyumyum
reply to post by Flavian

That's a very valid point, and amidst all of the celebrations I would hope that if only one thing came out of it, then it would be that the length and breadth of the populus would receive a lift.
Wouldn't care too much about big business, politics, or even the Royal families diagnosis. I would just hope that after the extended Bank Holiday, everyone would become re-energised, and pepped up a bit, if that makes sense.

That is it, basically. People had a spring in their step. Doesn't matter if it was because they had a 4 day holiday or because they worship the Royals, the end result is a more positive nation (for however long it lasts).

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I resent being called a killjoy. I get called a killjoy because I don't want to wave flags and put up bunting for the Jubilee and a killjoy if I don't welcome the corporate image cleansing event of the Olympics. Just because I don't find joy in the same things as you does not mean I do not find joy in other areas of my life.

Olympic sponsors are companies responsible for obesity, like McDonalds, Coca Cola, Cadbury's, Walkers crisps. Companies that have caused some of the world's worst industrial catastrophes like Dow Chemicals in Bhopal.
Rio Tinto who supplies the Gold medals have been accused of using child labour in their gold mines.

The more I hear about the Olympics the more I dislike. Again like the Jubilee, I will keep my "killjoying" to myself and not speak my mind. I enjoy watching sport , so I am sure I will enjoy watching some of the events. But I won't be getting whipped up in the Olympic dream nonsense.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Sorry, wasn't meant to offend you. Killjoy was admittedly too strong a description - one born out of frustration out of listening to everyone i know moaning about us having the Olympics. I apologise for antagonising you.

Corporations have ruined every aspect of human life - why should the Olympics be any different?

For me, that side of things is a separate issue. It is simply about the sport and about the dedication that athletes have throughout their lives in order to hopefully compete at the Olympic Games.

I also think that once they start, people will have the same feel good feeling as that during the Jubilee.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Well I don't watch T.V so I've seen very little about it and didn't notice anyone that was celebrating it. Everyone I spoke to about it said celebrate what? The very idea of a "queen" repulses me! I think they are immoral and the whole system is unjust!

Still there are plenty of drones that love to drool over the royal family! Many I'm sure would love the position of "groom of the stool" (royal bum cleaner)! And if possible they would insist on using only their tongue!

I just don't get it! To me they are no different than actors, I don't understand people that drool over them either! It's just really strange when you think about it.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
It was nice to see people celebrating in Britain, it's a shame about the subject matter, I'm a Republican and I'm not a fan of Constitutional Monarchy, we were bombarded by Royal propaganda for months beforehand trying to justify the existence of the monarchy, it's fair to say it got on my nerves somewhat, although the extra day off was nice :-)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I just don't like the way that people who do not go along with the current consensus in the UK, are labelled killjoys or miserable. It's a way of silencing and mocking any dissent. It's almost like propaganda.

However, you are right that it is probably best to concentrate on the positive things about the Olympics. I just think it's important people are aware of the negative parts, rather than them being erased from peoples conscience.

These sporting events allow these corporations to associate them self with something good in an attempt to clean their image and the negative impacts of their business.

Now if England won the EURO's that would be a real feel good factor. I remember the "feel good factor" in Euro 96, when England were doing well. Still it's a shame we have to rely on sporting events and royal pageants to give us a feel good factor.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

No it wasn't worth it as it was pissing down with rain

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Coo

I agree, in amongst the doom and gloom we hear everyday around the world, it is healthy to be able to give yourself a distraction, and one which can be shared in a community like way is in my opinion one of the best ways to provide that distraction.
Sporting events, as have been mentioned, in general do a great job in amalgamating people, it's a shame it usually ends in underachievement though!
If we are including the Olympics, as has also been mentioned, then all well and good (concentrating on the positives), but I am just wary of a huge hangover at the end of the summer, when the visitors are all gone, the litter has been picked up, and people revert back to the day to day humdrum. In the preceeding days, a lot could have developed across Europe, and it is my feeling that a lot of anything that may develop, may well go by unnoticed.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:19 AM
link   

As long as we have our bread and circuses or Burgers and Olympics

"Bread and Circuses" (or bread and games) (from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metaphor for a superficial means of appeasement. It was the basic Roman formula for the well-being of the population, and hence a political strategy unto itself.[citation needed] In the case of politics, the phrase is used to describe the creation of public approval, not through exemplary or excellent public service or public policy, but through diversion, distraction, and/or the mere satisfaction of the immediate, shallow requirements of a populace.[1][2][3] The phrase also implies the erosion or ignorance of civic duty amongst the concerns of the common man (l'homme moyen sensuel).

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

A great pick, and so very true. How many people can see what it going on around them while they are waving a flag and singing Rule Britannia?

Pictures of the Artful Dodger and Fagin wandering the crowds on Pall Mall picking pockets would have been a poignant and symbolic scene.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I think the article is great. Funny and well-written yet critical of the Windsor's grand celebration.

I like these quotes:

Thus the capital was transformed into an armed camp, harmless, happy party-goers scanned from the rooftops for signs of intent to commit crimes or just “the wrong kind of look.” The UK or Great Britain, call Shakespeare’s “sceptered isle set in a silver sea” what you will, has acquired all the appurtenances of a police state in formation. There is a single famous statistic that makes this all too clear. A small offshore nation with 1% of the global population now has more than 20 percent of its CCTV cameras.

If the royal family weren't so filthy rich I could pass this off as pageantry and a genuine celebration of British spirit. While austerity hangs over England like a vulture the public pays the bill which the royal coffers could easily afford. To me that would be a slap in the face then being told to love it.

edit on 13-6-2012 by Asktheanimals because: tags fixed

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
What are the royal family good for really?

Other than some sort of tourist attraction...or a day off work.

How pathetic is that?

I wish one of those attracted tourists would take them home with them.

And feed and house them!

Perhaps the true meaning of Jubilee should have came into play.

Wouldn't that have been something to celebrate!

And did you see the excuse for a concert?

Still what else would you expect from that lot...Gary Barlow sheesh!

Sycophantic or what?

The whole sorry saga of that jubilee makes me despair...and...

What is it we are supposed to be celebrating...

A better time to celebrate would be when we finally get rid of the idea of royalty and their ilk.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join