It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A decade of Civilisation II shows grim outcome.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

What will the world be like in 2000 years?

According to one visionary using a computer simulation, the distant future will be a "hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation", largely uninhabitable, flooded and beset by in-fighting, nuclear war and periodic annihilation.

Admittedly this "simulation" isn't anything complex... In fact it's Civilisation 2, an infamous turn-based strategy game - which one Reddit user revealed on Tuesday he has been playing for more than 10 years.

The Civilisation series allows users to make nations, develop new technology and battle for territory and the hearts and minds of computer citizens.

The chap in question, named Lycerius, told Reddit that he's been playing the same game of Civ II in fits and spurts for over a decade.

"I thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be," he said.

FULL ARTICLE!

Is the Universe itself not an unfathomably endless simulation bound by laws and rules?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That's pretty cool- I wish there was more info out there about it. However, I used to play the civilization games (I actually have civ 4 downloaded on my computer right now) but I don't remember it taking 10 years to get to the year 4,000? That's kinda weird. But it was interesting nonetheless.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by g0dhims3lf

What will the world be like in 2000 years?

According to one visionary using a computer simulation, the distant future will be a "hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation", largely uninhabitable, flooded and beset by in-fighting, nuclear war and periodic annihilation.

Admittedly this "simulation" isn't anything complex... In fact it's Civilisation 2, an infamous turn-based strategy game - which one Reddit user revealed on Tuesday he has been playing for more than 10 years.

The Civilisation series allows users to make nations, develop new technology and battle for territory and the hearts and minds of computer citizens.

The chap in question, named Lycerius, told Reddit that he's been playing the same game of Civ II in fits and spurts for over a decade.

"I thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be," he said.

FULL ARTICLE!

Is the Universe itself not an unfathomably endless simulation bound by laws and rules?

Civ 2 always ends in 2020. If you reach 2020 and haven't reached Alpha Centauri or become the only civilization, the game is over.

When I played Civ 2 (all those years ago) I used to amaze everyone with how quickly I could "win" the game, every time!

I always used to end by building stacks of "launch arkologies". The arkologies all launch into space, civilize other worlds and the game ends.

One trick is to not bother with making the roads & rails connect with each other. The simulation doesn't care if they are disconnected and too many connections = 'too much traffic/too quick degradation', regardless of population.

There are also several other parameters that everyone screws up with because they expect them to follow the logic of the real world. Just do a little experimentation with the building blocks and see if you can reverse engineer the operational algorithms from it.

You then put it all together into an equation and the optimal parameters just fall out of it.

edit on 12/6/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
wow thats one epic sized game.
His wife later commented "i don't exist"

civ 4 was pretty good, if you haven't played 5 yet you have to.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

A visionary? please...The guy just played a game for a really long time....

This is just a copy post from reddit .....

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I saw this thread ealier on reddit, awesome read. Makes me wanna pick that game up.

Heres a link to the thread
CivII thread on Reddit

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I've played civ 2 since 1996. Does that make me a dooms day prophet? Your post is a joke. Really posy somewhere else.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Chargeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Spike Spiegle

Originally posted by Spike Spiegle

A visionary? please...The guy just played a game for a really long time....

This is just a copy post from reddit .....

Yeah well I actually found it on FARK, and brought it over to my preferred forum of discussion.
edit on 12-6-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: add quote

Also I agree with you on the wrongful use of the term visionary for this gamer. It was just interesting and used to try and connect it to the discussion of our actual Universe and civilizations and their possible fate.
edit on 12-6-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: added input

edit on 12-6-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: grammer

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chargeit

It was not ment to be taken at face value, notice I posted it in games, also my question after the article was ment to spark others opinions or theories they believe on the rules and laws of our universe in comparison to a simulation with a possible pre determined fate.
edit on 12-6-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

It's more the fact that they call him a visionary that got me going, you're quite right about bringing the story here...

Good topic and it's in the right forum, I'm just bitching for nothing.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Love this game. Great effort.

Radio excerpt about this on BBC Radio4.

news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

join