It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Websites will soon to be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online.
New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.
The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

bbc.co.uk...
edit on 12-6-2012 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What does this mean?

Can it be viewed as a good thing that they're choosing to "out" trolls..

Or is this just another way of further invading our privacy?

I'm guessing certain people, such as government shills will be overlooked when it comes down to it at the end of the day.

Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
It's an attempt to control the internet. What is a troll? What do you consider it, or what I consider it? Have you ever been called a troll?

The implications are amazing.

Nah, just trolling.

edit on 12-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I wish we knew who we were talking to on social media I think it would make social media more honest. I think we should all get a internet id and we should not be able to post anything online that is anonymous. The id would be required to log onto the net so different ip addresses would not matter. People would know who you are no matter what computer you are on. I have had many insults here on ATS. I think this would happen less if people had a face or identity and were not hiding behind an avatar. Its only a matter of time since they are already arresting people for the things they post on twitter and facebook. I will be happy to lose the right to anonymity. I will be happy that all the cowards do. it will be awesome. Its a form of verbal assault that happens on sites like this very often. It should stop. And people should always know that there are potential consequences for their actions.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am all knowing. I am an oracle.

Do not be afraid.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Short of threats you should be able to say whatever the hell you want online. Let it be up to individual sites how they deal with perceived trolls. No one needs the government protecting them from having their precious little feelers hurt. Good luck defining troll. On many a website *ahem* people with dissenting viewpoints are routinely called trolls. I didn't read the article so I may be way off. I don't care, I just want to see myself talk.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Three letters: TOR

Not that I troll..but if was to...

OK # you beat it out of me, so I am a troll. WTF do you want out of me?
edit on 12-6-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-6-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

This is more to do with cyber bullying and the biggest culrpit of any website are Facebook users

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I'm sarcastic, sue me.

No seriously

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Headshot

the only problem with such laws they have to prove beyond a doubt who used the actual computer at the time cyber bullying was committed. Now if there is a family of say 4 or more using the same computer........

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
trolling, trolling, trolling, keep those wagons trolling.... raw hide!!

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Good luck, I'm behind 7 proxies.

Second line.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

the bbc story is misleading - its all about libel , not " trolls " as an entire genre

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
From the source:

"The government wants a libel regime for the internet that makes it possible for people to protect their reputations effectively but also ensures that information online can't be easily censored by casual threats of litigation against website operators.
"It will be very important to ensure that these measures do not inadvertently expose genuine whistleblowers, and we are committed to getting the detail right to minimise this risk."

How would they minimize the risk?

I also wonder how this should work? How would for example ATS know who I am? The only thing they have is the IP and time. They would need to contact the ISP to get further informations. The ISPs don´t store it for infinity. In my younger years, I knew if you didn´t had a record in computer crimes in germany, ISP would store IP data for 90 days.

But back to topic, there would be some kind of interface needed. So that certified (does this ring bells?) websites can retrieve the Adress when IP and timestamp is given, otherwise it would be a long time consuming process for both the website and the ISP. This would be a really powerful tool.

So they have to do it otherwise because they can´t do that. ID for everyone, which can be faked some time after it is implemented, for sure.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.

I think it would be more effective to start identifying the weak lil sissies that can't handle words directed at them from a nameless faceless person online.

It is words. That is all. Just words. Dam crybabies.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Reported.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Short of threats you should be able to say whatever the hell you want online. Let it be up to individual sites how they deal with perceived trolls. No one needs the government protecting them from having their precious little feelers hurt. Good luck defining troll. On many a website *ahem* people with dissenting viewpoints are routinely called trolls. I didn't read the article so I may be way off. I don't care, I just want to see myself talk.

Alas amigo that is the world that has been created....everyone is special, everyone is equal, and everyone is slowly being turned into a PC dooche bag because of it. Everyone is a winner,,there are no more losers...

Thats the problem. And until it effects them individually, no one will care to raise a stink.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Does this mean i will have to change my avatar? My avatar is a troll, does this mean that i am a troll?
Also, who is going to monitor the ones who give us all this so called true facts, maybe they trolls.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I don't think your average troll has anything to worry about, they are only really after your mentallist malicious numpty who thinks it's hilarious baiting relatives of the dead and bullying kids. Mind you if I'm honest with myself it's probably more to do with locking up those who troll celebs.
edit on 12-6-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Can't wait to get turned down from a job because of teh trolling, lulz. can't have fun online anymore, not without being labeled a troll. So a troll badge I shall wear, proudly!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
They're going to have to re-define the term troll. or better still, make a new name for the people they're talking about that actually de-fame someones character to the point where they are socially stigmatized away from the internet.

What they consider trolls on Facebook doesn't apply to people who are called the same thing here. Derailing a conversation with nonsense and calling someone a pedophile are two very different things. The latter of those two offenses should be punishable. The former should just be overlooked because the poster is just being childish.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join