It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unmanned Navy drone has crashed in a marshy area near Salisbury, Maryland, according to the U.S.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

An unmanned Navy drone has crashed in a marshy area near Salisbury, Maryland, according to the U.S. Coast Guard.

Navy drone crashes in Maryland

(CNN) -- A U.S. Navy drone crashed Monday in marshy area near Salisbury, Maryland, military officials said.

The unmanned RQ-4A Global Hawk drone went down during a routine training flight from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, according to Jamie Cosgrove, a spokeswoman for the Unmanned Aviation and Strike Weapons Program at the base.

The drone crashed into a tributary of the Nanticoke River, according a U.S. Coast Guard official. The crash site has been blocked to recreational boat traffic while the agency investigates, according to the Coast Guard official.
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 11-6-2012 by Sek82 because: Added article

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
CNN reports that a Navy Northrop Grumman RQ-4A Global Hawk has crashed outside of Salisbury Maryland. An article has now been added to the original post with link to the breaking story.

The RQ-4 Global Hawk (picture above is not specific aircraft involved) was used in training missions in the region and has a 116 foot wingspan and an operational ceiling of 65,000 feet with an endurance of 36 hours.

This incident will surely serve as cannon fodder for those opposed to the proposed increase of drone use in U.S. Airspace in the future, and rightfully so. Your thoughts?

(As an aside, this is my first post in the breaking news forum and am still figuring out how to edit this odd double-post format so please forgive any associated errors.)
edit on 11-6-2012 by Sek82 because: corrections/additions

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Drone Crash CNN

Might want to put this link in your op......

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
grrr...quick someone drive out to there....you know how much i could get for that thing on e-bay

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Yes, thank you. I'm currently having issues adding the link in edit - It did not exist at the time of posting, thanks for the assistance.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well thats strange, wonder what happened to the drone, in the first place.??? Sabotage, Enemy take down, or just Human controller error, My guess is on Human error. Still though was this just being used for training or was it actually patrolling the skies of the Maryland, close to D.C??

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

grrr...quick someone drive out to there....you know how much i could get for that thing on e-bay

China would pay you a good price, they have been buying up every bit of US millitary tech they can get their hands on.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OtherSideOfTheCoin

China would pay you a good price, they have been buying up every bit of US millitary tech they can get their hands on.

You will not believe what google turned up

Filipino to plead guilty for peddling military drone on EBay

TAMPA --
A man who tried to sell an unmanned military drone on EBay is scheduled to plead guilty in U.S. District Court Thursday to violating arms export and smuggling laws, according to court filings.

Henson Chua of Manila, Philippines, was arrested in February after Homeland Security officials said he shipped a 3-foot-long, hand-launched, computer-controlled RQ-11A/B Raven to undercover agents.

Chua faces up to 20 years in prison, but likely far less under federal sentencing guidelines.

According to Chua's signed plea agreement, Special Operations Command at MacDill Air Force Base contacted the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement in May 2010 after seeing the drone listed for sale for $13,000 on the Internet auction site.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

That is just too funny,

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Can't wait to find how many more will crash or be shot out of the sky?

2nd

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

The unmanned RQ-4A Global Hawk drone went down during a routine training flight from Naval Air Station Patuxent River, according to Jamie Cosgrove, a spokeswoman for the Unmanned Aviation and Strike Weapons Program at the base

The drone crashed into a tributary of the Nanticoke River, according a U.S. Coast Guard official. The crash site has been blocked to recreational boat traffic while the agency investigates, according to the Coast Guard official.

[Thats a pretty damn big drone to come down!

edit on 11-6-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I'm an air traffic controller just north of salisbury, and this is news to me... we know within seconds of anything happens in any airspace or airport nationwide, unless it happens in class echo.

well that explains it, it was after I left work
edit on 11-6-2012 by exTAC because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

With a price tag of $176 million a piece, it would be worth the trip if it weren't for the fact the place is already cordoned off by relevant alphabet agencies. The good news is no one was injured according to the still updating CNN article.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mytheroy

i've been researching drone crash rates in general and it's difficult to come up with a reliable figure. I live near an air force base that operates them and they crash fairly often. I've found numbers as high as 50 crashes per 100,000 flight hours. To put that in perspective, airliners have a rate of less than .5 per 100,000 flight hours. Give or take a couple of tenths.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Can't wait to find how many more will crash or be shot out of the sky?

2nd

Yeah, why was it 'training' in civilian, non-military air space? Isn't there enough room at groom lake for test flights? I don't like this one bit.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
thankfully no one as hurt

can't wait to see all the xperts claim it was shot down by a chinese laser from the moon

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

yes....i can tell from that video they "augered it in"
automatically maybe

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

the east coast is absolutely littered with restricted areas, and warning areas... and yes military is allowed to fly in civilian airspace. there really is no "civilian" or "military" airspace (with the exception of a restricted area, which anyone can use with the approval of range control and an air traffic controller) it is all under the FAA

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

it crashed in R4002

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Quick, Someone take credit! You'll be the next George Washington!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join