It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds Plan to Chop Down Idaho Man’s $14,000 Treehouse

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is no ordinary treehouse, it's actually a guest room built with approval by the same authority who is now saying it needs to come down or else the community stands to lose fed funding...

Be sure to check out the news clip as well as reading the article..

news.yahoo.com

Tremain Albright has spent more than $14,000 building and renovating a treehouse along the Kootenai River in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. But the Army Corps of Engineers says the house must be torn down or the city could lose more than $128,000 in federal funding.

This couple went through proper channels before investing in this, I think it would be fair for the Feds to reimburse them for their loss, if it does indeed need to go, since it was approved by them in the first place.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
So, they get permission to build, get everything they need to build there, and NOW they want to say it's to close to the river, I'm willing to bet the river was there when they got the permits

edit on 11-6-2012 by mytheroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Boo! They should be reimbursed for the cost of it if they're going to tear it down.
Seems ridiculous in light of the fact that the corps of engineers already gave them the ok years ago.
I love treehouses and had a couple as a kid, nothing quite like this one though.
Did you see the one a guy up in Canada built on public land by any chance? (it was pretty sweet)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Extortion is a crime:

Extortion is a criminal offence whereby an individual obtains money, goods and services, or desired behavior from another by wrongfully threatening or inflicting harm to his person, property, or reputation. Extortion is a different criminal offense than robbery, whereby an offender steals property through force. Instead, the property gained though extortion is handed over to avoid threatened force or other harm. Extortion involves the victim's consent, but the way in which it is gained is unlawful, and therefore the entire act is considered a crime.

The State of Idaho does not tolerate extortion:

By extortion. A person obtains property by extortion when he compels or induces another person to deliver such property to himself or to a third person by means of instilling in him a fear that, if the property is not so delivered, the actor or another will:

1. Cause physical injury to some person in the future; or

2. Cause damage to property; or...

~TITLE 18 CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS CHAPTER 24 THEFT~

(In Part)

Extortion is a crime and no one is above the law.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
This is no ordinary treehouse, it's actually a guest room built with approval by the same authority who is now saying it needs to come down or else the community stands to lose fed funding...

Be sure to check out the news clip as well as reading the article..

news.yahoo.com

Tremain Albright has spent more than $14,000 building and renovating a treehouse along the Kootenai River in Bonners Ferry, Idaho. But the Army Corps of Engineers says the house must be torn down or the city could lose more than $128,000 in federal funding.

This couple went through proper channels before investing in this, I think it would be fair for the Feds to reimburse them for their loss, if it does indeed need to go, since it was approved by them in the first place.

They got permission from the city, but its the Army Corps that is mandating this. The city actually made it pretty clear that if it wasnt for the funding issue, they wouldnt care.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by flyswatter

They received permission from 6 different offices of the Corps of Engineers, according to the folks who built it..

That info is from the news clip

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
reply to post by flyswatter

They received permission from 6 different offices of the Corps of Engineers, according to the folks who built it..

That info is from the news clip

Ahh, I hear that now. I live in southern Idaho myself and had not heard that he had dealt with the ACE years ago.

Sucks for him, unfortunately. I'd like to see him be able to keep it, but I also understand the position of the city and the mandate from the ACE. Compensation isnt something that is required in this case, but I would certainly like to see him get at least something from the city or ACE.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
That's nothing, I spent $80,000 building a business with all of the approvals and permit the County asked for. My business was on the front page of every single piece of tourism literature in the County, We had done events for the County.. One powerful well connected landowner not liking us and and we was shut down after 18 months of operation. This was despite hundreds of support letters from our community.

My County supervisor said and I quote "We know what we are doing is illegal, but he has forced our hand and now you are going to have to sue us, you will probably win, someday"........

Life ain't freaking fair. It cost me two years to rebuild from that one. He has a tree house problem? Wah.

top topics

join