It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moses, the man who killed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I wanted to look at one observation about Judaism that does not get brought up much. Also, everything else in between. Moses killed a man, and God still had a working communicated relationship with him as well. This speaks much volume, and also having created the ten commandments≥,.... I just wanted an open discussion on this. The bible does not give his input on asking forgiveness nor is their any mention, i'm sure he did (moses). So i was thinking about a few things.

First, you can kill a man and still talk to God (real communication) not some spiritual,mystical, coincidental situation.

I am not saying, go kill people either

Many of the stories of blood shed happen afterwards with Jacob, all tribal warfare.

So basically, how do you get to God, if your sins are washed by J.C, with repentance and strong forgiveness, what holds God from discussion with you?

Probably His time, His moment, not a lot, i've talked and discuss with God, but it was more of a prayer intuitive. I guess this is more ranting of a lonely heart

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   
The Old Testament is full of people killing each other. God also participated. There's the story of the tribe that wanted to marry the eligible Jewish women. They said, sure but you must be circumcised first. So the men of the tribe submitted to circumcision and, of course, needed some recovery time, which was when all the Jewish men slew the people of the village. Then there's Sodom and Gomorrah. After God destroyed the cities Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him. Pretty rowdy bunch.

In seminaries one the favorite sayings is, "The New Testament, in which God is in a much better mood."
edit on 6/10/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I have a strange story about Moses and I dont know if many people know this. In Exodus 4:24-25 there is a very odd occurence.
"As Moses was on his way to Egypt, he stopped at a resting place for the night. The Lord met him there and tried to kill him. But Zipporah (moses wife) took a flint knife and circumcised her son. Taking the skin, she touched Moses feet with it and said to him, you are a bridegroom of blood to me. She said, you are a bridegroom of love, because she had to circumcise her son. So the Lord let moses alone."

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

If prayer is a just a one way conversation then so many wouldn't both. I would suggest broadening your understanding of "God talking back". There are certain times in life when you are presented with options and you instinctively can make a decision and go with it. Non religious folks will say it's our natural instinct, but I think our natural instinct is to question. So when I can make a decision and never look back, that's God talking back in a way, giving me the peace of mind I wouldn't have had.

The bible is full of murders and prostitutes and some of the worst among us. But that's the point, the message of the bible isn't do this list of things and God will love you. No, it's about in spite of you NOT doing the right things God loves you.
edit on 10-6-2012 by KnawLick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Moses looked forward in time to a coming Messiah in the same manner we look back in time to a Messiah who came. The law was NEVER given to mam to make them holy or righteous. Man was given the law to show them how Holy and perfect God was, the intended secondary result of that was for people to acknowledge their hopelessness and need for a Savior. Moses killed, David killed, Sampson killed, Joshua killed, Saul killed and on and on and on. This should comfort people that no matter how serious their sins may be that God will forgive the person who humbles themselves and asks for forgiveness. And not only forgiveness, but God will still use someone who has been redeemed, it's a better testimony than when a "good" person gets redeemed.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
The Old Testament is full of people killing each other. God also participated. There's the story of the tribe that wanted to marry the eligible Jewish women. They said, sure but you must be circumcised first. So the men of the tribe submitted to circumcision and, of course, needed some recovery time, which was when all the Jewish men slew the people of the village. Then there's Sodom and Gomorrah. After God destroyed the cities Lot's daughters got him drunk and had sex with him. Pretty rowdy bunch.

In seminaries one the favorite sayings is, "The New Testament, in which God is in a much better mood."
edit on 6/10/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

Lol, they were the enemies of Israel. It was wise to trick them into circumcision so that in the weakness of their recovery they would be much easier to be defeated. That's simply wise tactics.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Moses killed an Egyptian who was beating a Hebrew slave and hid his body. Later, he became concerned after it came to be known.

"Then Moses was afraid and thought, "What I did must have become known." -Exodus 2:14

IMO, Moses was reacting like a normal man, as this was before his encounter at the burning bush.... where he was given the mission of leading the Israelites out of Egypt.

what holds God from discussion with you?

Good question.
Perhaps God selects only a very chosen *few* to communicate directly with.
I believe Moses and the patriarchs had a faith which was stronger than our generation, by several orders of magnitude.

I doubt its as simple as telling oneself, "I've been saved, so God is going to start talking to me".
God does as He pleases.... not as we fancy.

I'd also be careful of people who claim they have had discussions with God. They could be telling the truth, but at the same time they might be mistaking their inner mental dialogue to be Gods voice. Then we have some people who think way too highly of themselves and are 100% sure that their inner mental dialogue is indeed the voice of God.

My approach is simple. I just pray or talk to God knowing that God is listening.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
I wanted to look at one observation about Judaism that does not get brought up much. Also, everything else in between. Moses killed a man, and God still had a working communicated relationship with him as well. This speaks much volume, and also having created the ten commandments≥,.... I just wanted an open discussion on this. The bible does not give his input on asking forgiveness nor is their any mention, i'm sure he did (moses). So i was thinking about a few things.

First, you can kill a man and still talk to God (real communication) not some spiritual,mystical, coincidental situation.

I am not saying, go kill people either

Many of the stories of blood shed happen afterwards with Jacob, all tribal warfare.

So basically, how do you get to God, if your sins are washed by J.C, with repentance and strong forgiveness, what holds God from discussion with you?

Probably His time, His moment, not a lot, i've talked and discuss with God, but it was more of a prayer intuitive. I guess this is more ranting of a lonely heart

Moses killed the egyptian to protect one of his relatives, he honored his family by protecting them, to the point he was going to be killed. He also showed remorse. Moses was a warrior prophet, his older brother Aaron was a healer prophet who mended marriages and made peace. When you are called to do whatever YHWH asks of you, you will do it and perform that function, perhaps not flawlessly for no human is perfect.

Yeshua said when he was ascending the time was coming when he wouldn't talk with us much until his return. This is because he has gone into the temple in heaven and begun his intercessory duties as the Melchizidek. He speaks to you when you are down, and when you cry he comforts you. He's there inside you, you just have to learn how to see his hand in everything. Once you begin to see his hand in everything, you see that he is there and always has been.
edit on 10-6-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Actually if I recall correctly, wasn't that in response to the rape of their sister Dinah, and actually only carried out by some of the sons of Israel, after they claimed the rapist (and his tribe) - now seeking her hand - could not marry her unless brought into the tribe via circumcision?

SLIGHTLY disproportionate response, perhaps...but they did have motive beyond just being enemies.

edit on 11-6-2012 by PeterWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I love the response from everyone. I have a very scholarish point of view on on the bible and metaphyics, and I constantly forget about the simplicity of Gods unfathomable love.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Lol, they were the enemies of Israel. It was wise to trick them into circumcision so that in the weakness of their recovery they would be much easier to be defeated. That's simply wise tactics.

They were people Jacob was trying to get along with. "You have brought ruin on me by making me a foul odor among the inhabitants of the land – among the Canaanites and the Perizzites."
The perpetrators of the crime (Simeon and Levi) were cursed by Jacob (for their violence) before he died, as he was giving prophecies about the future of his descendants.
edit on 13-6-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Moses looked forward in time to a coming Messiah in the same manner we look back in time to a Messiah who came. The law was NEVER given to mam to make them holy or righteous. Man was given the law to show them how Holy and perfect God was, the intended secondary result of that was for people to acknowledge their hopelessness and need for a Savior. Moses killed, David killed, Sampson killed, Joshua killed, Saul killed and on and on and on. This should comfort people that no matter how serious their sins may be that God will forgive the person who humbles themselves and asks for forgiveness. And not only forgiveness, but God will still use someone who has been redeemed, it's a better testimony than when a "good" person gets redeemed.

You're wrong. The desired effect of the law was to make man righteous by doing works under God. Faith in the Messiah was a condition of really following the law, but it was unrecognizable by the Hebrews.

top topics

join