It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the equal sign (=) have any symbolic relevance outside of mathematics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I ask because I have come across 3 separate people wearing or sporting this sign within the last month, and I'm curious to know if it has any other meaning that I'm not aware of..

The first man I saw had this patch sewn onto the left side of his shirt.... a solid black circle, with yellow equal sign within..

The second was a man who obviously had made this shirt himself, this time was a large black square with yellow equal sign in the middle.

And the third, was a bumper sticker on a car that I was driving behind this evening... again, a black square with bright yellow equal sign ( = ) in the middle of the block.

(There are also a couple of members on ATS who have this sign as an avatar, I've noticed...)

Is there a deeper meaning behind this symbol?
Are they only mathematicians, simply someone interested in the sciences, or something more?

Does anyone know if what this could be about? (if anything)
edit on 9-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
All I can tell you is that in the Mayan counting system the equal sign(=)represents the number 10....Other wise I just don't know....good question

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
This person had the same (or a very similar) question:
Equals sign

And this seems to be the answer:
answer

It is a symbol created by the HRC, (Human Rights Campaign), an organization working to advance civil equality and personal liberty for the gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered community. The equal sign (=), symbolizes human rights and is often cited as a token for the ongoing struggle and persecution the LGBTQ community still face.

edit on 9-6-2012 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2012 by OuttaHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by OuttaHere

edit on 9-6-2012 by fairguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
It's as above, so below to some.

top topics

join