It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cyber experts warn of 'intelligent weapons'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by rkseid

That's something I've wondered for a long time. I'm not a techie by any means but I do understand a few things nonetheless.

What if some of these viruses found a place to collect, so to speak. A sort of hiding place that we have no idea about, that maybe is known only to that level of existence, much the way a small child can find a place adults were simply unaware of because we don't see the world from that perspective. What's to stop them from going feral and recombining in all manner of wild and wonderful ways. We could have something brewing out there right now in a number of places but we have not even a whiff of it yet.

With governments, militaries and corporations putting out untold volumes of code into the environment, something is bound to happen now that these programs are becoming increasingly complex. We won't know until it's too late unless we are extremely vigilant now, and even then we humans are none too impressive when it comes to noticing what's going on right under our noses. "Too late" seems to be right on time for us.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

I grew up in a semi christian upbringing and only got half way through genisis in trying to read the bible. Still got the general life of Jesus who seams like a good, decent bloke but cannot get organised religion with its conflicts, contradictions and dogmatic approach. Spiritually I am more associating with scientism, I know there is still a lot unknown within the scientific community but it is making good progress in understand the workings of life and has a good framework when applied to actually establish the truth.

More recently I am starting to understand the duality of life and how this becomes a basic building block for matter and energy from time and space. On a more practial level, like how money splits into rich and poor or intention into good and bad. There are still trinities like volts, amps and ohm in electricty or heat, fule and oxygen for fire that still do not quite fit this mould but the search continues.

The core requirements for consciousness seam to be an ability to sense the environment, process this information and affect change, like how a tree root takes up nuitrents and feeds it up to the branches or as a dust mite walks around looking for dead skin to further decompose. Consciousness is not limited to humans, but our capabilities are unique and powerful in this world with all the functions our bodies posses. There are still many questions on the topics of spirit, soul and personality but the search still continues.

If one day the AI does realise that it is caught, then it is very much a sign of self awarness as we can make the same realisation with feed back loops part of this process, (output becomes input). It does sound like a very imaginatitve background you come from in exploring these topics and sure to have a few important concepts.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I want to point out this site as something we can all keep an eye on. There are lots more out there of course but this one seems to allow us to glimpse what they don't mind us seeing and dig further to find what they don't. Of course, the really nasty stuff won't be found easily, if at all, by the uninitiated.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I wanted to point you guys to this thread that is discussing something very much along the lines of what we're saying here.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Send in the terminators!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Meeting the energy needs of the Robot: make it very, very tiny; have it emulate cellular processes, and enable it to utilize the biological processes of other organisms for its fuel.

The Glucose Fuel Cell

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Eidolon23

Yeah. There's that too. When you look at everything they show us under the guise of something else, it makes you really wonder what they're hiding. Already that fuel cell can be used in really scary ways.

It's going to be a long, difficult task to find out what they're up to and counter it somehow. Best plan is to cut them off completely. It can be done. We just have to figure it out.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kwakakev

The core requirements for consciousness seam to be an ability to sense the environment, process this information and affect change, like how a tree root takes up nuitrents and feeds it up to the branches or as a dust mite walks around looking for dead skin to further decompose. Consciousness is not limited to humans, but our capabilities are unique and powerful in this world with all the functions our bodies posses. There are still many questions on the topics of spirit, soul and personality but the search still continues.

If one day the AI does realise that it is caught, then it is very much a sign of self awarness as we can make the same realisation with feed back loops part of this process, (output becomes input). It does sound like a very imaginatitve background you come from in exploring these topics and sure to have a few important concepts.

Imaginative. Very crazy. It is a fine distinction.

What if you and I are the sensory input for an AI? Your sensory system becomes the input stream for the environmental information, and possibly an external actor to produce change in the environment?

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Yeah. There's that too. When you look at everything they show us under the guise of something else, it makes you really wonder what they're hiding. Already that fuel cell can be used in really scary ways.

It's going to be a long, difficult task to find out what they're up to and counter it somehow. Best plan is to cut them off completely. It can be done. We just have to figure it out.

I disagree.

If you want to counter it, you need to REDIRECT it into some other end. Conflict just happens to be the easiest lever available.

Personally, I'm all for conquest....of space. That should produce about a thousand years of a different goal until some new reasons for conflict come up. A thousand years of peace, based on some other goals. Very Biblical.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   

From Ray Bradbury's Christus Apollo:

And the Ninth Day’s sunrise
Will show us forth in light and wild surmise
Upon an even further shore.
We seek new Gardens there to know ourselves.
We seek new Wilderness,
And send us forth in wandering search.
Apollo’s missions move, and Christus seek,
And wonder as we look among the stars
Did He know these?

onefracturedfairytale.blogspot.com...

The Space Race- probably our best chance to keep ourselves from stagnation or destruction.
edit on 14-6-2012 by Eidolon23 because:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I agree. All those interested in that existence can go forth and seek new worlds. The folks with the tech will be out there in a flash. They can leave dear old Planet Earth to the meek. I'm staying here.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I agree. All those interested in that existence can go forth and seek new worlds. The folks with the tech will be out there in a flash. They can leave dear old Planet Earth to the meek. I'm staying here.

I'll have to go look for it again. There are two divergent strains of one genetic mutation, and one seems to correlate to people whose ancestors are moving around from one place to another, and the other is a settler. However, for a good amount of time the Earth will not be left alone. It'd be a hub of activity, and the balancing act will be how to account for a net influx of material into a closed system, and a loss of bio-matter from a closed system.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Oh yes, I think I saw it. It had to do with ADD or ADHD and the genetics behind that being from the hunter/nomadic type and the other being the farmer/forager type. Definitely gonna be the former jetting off to unknown horizons. Suits me. I'm a forager par excellence.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

What if you and I are the sensory input for an AI? Your sensory system becomes the input stream for the environmental information, and possibly an external actor to produce change in the environment?

Then I would not call it AI, but maybe GI (Greater Intelligence), some might even like the term god.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   

you've struck a nerve there. I mean our eyeballs are basically cameras. we're uncannily designed to operate as a biological computer.

who's to say we're not just part of a huge network feeding some gigantic cray somewhere?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae

I disagree.

If you want to counter it, you need to REDIRECT it into some other end. Conflict just happens to be the easiest lever available.

Personally, I'm all for conquest....of space. That should produce about a thousand years of a different goal until some new reasons for conflict come up. A thousand years of peace, based on some other goals. Very Biblical.

For all practical purposes, when you leave for that extended period of time you can call it "gone for good". If they are out there that long then I'm pretty sure there will be little to no reason to return, certainly not with any claim to control.

A lot can happen in a thousand years. Imagine if Charlemagne showed up today claiming the rule of Europe. That's probably not going to turn out well and I don't think I could predict the winner.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
the movie Screamers dealt with just this problem
starring Peter Weller and based on a short story by Philip K Dick
en.wikipedia.org...(1995_film)

once the screamers started replicating and evolving....

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

All your teddy bear are belong to us.

Yes, something along those lines but with less cheese. lol

That's why we need to nip this in the bud, but it just seems unlikely that the perfume we're all smelling means the bud is now a blossom and I fear for the arrival of the fruit.

Well, I did say that I'm a forager...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   
The only way to prevent the Hijacking of automated weapons is to make them sentient. This arms race will lead to the TRUE bench mark for a civilization.

We are making our new best friends... and the gods we've always wanted. it knows when you are sleeping it knows when your awake, it knows if youve been bad or good... so be good for goodness sake.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

No, it *decides* if you've been good or bad. Our human morality will be irrelevant should they decide to make it so. What do you do then? We've read about it for years thanks to Asimov, Roddenbury, et al, but how will it really play out? I can't see humans outsmarting or out-maneuvering those sentient machines. I can't see us exerting our will when we're cyborgs. At some point our own personal will may disappear entirely as we rely more and more on the superior machine to do the work for us. Look at us now: We barely care enough to raise a mild grunt of displeasure at the actions of government or corporation. Our will is fading fast. Putting faith in those machines as - I absolutely gasp at the usage of the word by you - "gods" is so very unenlightened that it simply defies comprehension.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join