It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stare at the raisin grasshopper, hear the raisin. Be one with the raisin.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Ohio Democrat Secured a $1 million Earmark to Teach Kids to Meditate with Raisins

Congressman Tim Ryan, about a week after making it known he was interested in running for Governor, has chosen this as his introduction to Ohio’s voters. His book, A Mindful Nation, discusses his interest in the idea of “mindfulness” and it’s applications to daily life.

A Cleveland Plain Dealer article goes into more detail, but the idea of staring at a raisin comes from one of the first exercises behind this way of thinking. A student gazes at a raisin and holds it to their lips without eating it then they squeeze the raisin to hear its sound. By the time they actually eat the raisin they are aware of all of the sensory urges that it elicits. Apparently the awareness is the lesson.
www.breitbart.com...
I’m not debating whether “mindfulness” is good or bad, because I frankly don’t care. I’m just surprised that he thinks the study and teaching of this style of thinking is more important than saving jobs in his district.

Would this be considered a religious pursuit?

Mind you I am very spiritual, love the metaphysical and do mediate,

Just found it funny.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Seems legit, understanding the microcosm of this reality really enhances our awareness and perspective as a whole. Adds a new meaning to playing with your food

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

Adds a new meaning to playing with your food

Indeed it does, lol

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This story is missing the nuts element....

I would like to know who first picked up a raisin, sultana etc and tried it. Not many people pick up and eat dried out and shriveled things.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the American society has a lot more wrong with it than jobs creation will ever address. I think one of the fundamental problems with human civilization today is the unbridled greed and apathy toward others. Teaching mindfulness is getting more to the point.

However, I do take issue with any sort of funding to do so. It's a mindset. It doesn't cost. Raisins are not that expensive that it can't be covered within any normal budget. That part points to his lack of dedication to the concept as a whole philosophy. He's just being a politician. I know a million bucks isn't much on a statewide scale, but it shouldn't cost anything. I'm pretty sure Sunmaid would donate the damn raisins for a tax write-off.

And what's with the raisin anyway? Meditation does not require props. Actually, those props take the focus away from meditation. There's no need for mats or cushions, no need for music or incense, no need for a particular position or chanting. You only need to silence your mind. That's free and it's what we need most in this world right now.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by komp_uk
This story is missing the nuts element....

I would like to know who first picked up a raisin, sultana etc and tried it. Not many people pick up and eat dried out and shriveled things.

Raisin history

boomdryfruits.com...

Oh! the Egyptians,

Jars of raisins were allotted by the thousands to the Nile god temple by Ramses III, as were dried dates.

Aha, more than I need to know.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

There's no need for mats or cushions, no need for music or incense, no need for a particular position or chanting.

I agree, in fact you live it.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is a beautiful way to teach children at the youngest ages how to simply become aware. I am sorry that it will be misunderstood and outright made fun of.

So many go though life like automatons, doing things, everything in unconscious ways until the day finally arrives when they are no longer able to understand themselves or the world around them other than through the automatic cycle.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Star for you. Also by reading only the OP missed the part about the funding.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

So many go though life like automatons,

I agree, I cannot argue with that, plus humor is important.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I think meditation is more healthy than spiritual. I don't see nothing wrong with it. Only when he starts to claim it as the path to enlightenment or the key to life is when we should pay most attention.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

I must admit, body, mind, spirit, all is one.

top topics

join