It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Visiting a Masonic Lodge

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by whenandwhere

do you give a charge to the candidate? We do a charge, then the lecture. They are usually two different people who do these. We only have a few who can do the lectures.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Yes , the Charge is the last thing we deliver in each degree . Other than the various officers small speaking parts and unless someone informs me that they wish to deliver a certain lecture , as Master I prefer to confer all three degree in their entirety myself .

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

This is SOP for us too.

I regret agreeing to do a multiple MM for my third. Granted the third is long and complex and takes a lot of effort, but I think the meaning is lost when doing short-form.

I was asked by my lodge how I wanted to do it , with a "class" or by myself . I opted to go it alone for a couple of reasons . One) so I would not be short formed and Two) for selfish reasons , I wanted that evening to be my own and not share it with other candidates lol .

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

we have a tradition that the JW does the 1st degrees, the SW does the second degrees, and the WM does the third degrees. (unless someone else has a reason they would like to preside.)
This gets the up coming masters time to get their feet wet in the East.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

We used to have that tradition , but my JW and SW are far , far from the best ritualists . I spent most of my time prompting them so I just took over all degree responsibilities (with their blessings ) .

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

That's too bad to hear. The top 3 officers (and even include the Sr. Deacon) should know their part flawlessly.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

In a perfect , yes they should , but when you have one who has had multiple concussions and a retiree who's memory is starting to fail then you do what you have to do .

But flawlessly ? In all my years as a Mason I have yet to see a flawless ritual .

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Should have put, as near perfect as one can get

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KSigMason

LOL , true . When I deliver lectures , I need a windshield in front of me because I CAN deliver flawless ritual in my truck .

These are good men and leaders , I do not want to deny them the opportunity to serve the lodge as Master because they can no longer retain ritual . I told them "You be a good leader , I will be a good ritualist" . I realize it is not the norm , but I will do what I can to help them out .

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
My cousin is a Mason and he's been trying to get me to join for years. I know its horribly prejudiced of me, but I can't get past all the things I'd always heard about Masons...satanists, etc. Logically I think they're just foolish accusations. After all, I grew up with him, he's hardly the type to be a secret satanist and plotting to take over the world. This thread has inspired me to check it out at last. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

That is the kind of thing that got me to join. the stories sound almost convincing, but the friends I know who were involved could not have possibly been into that kind of stuff. I am happy to say I have never had to kill a virgin, or eat a baby. yet.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Then your not at the right Lodge, Bro senior!

We have a sacrifice every stated meeting!

Bwaaahahahahahahaha ( rubs hands evilly ).
edit on 14-6-2012 by W3RLIED2 because: Ipads kill me. And network dude maybe has beer

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by W3RLIED2

I always knew there was something strange about you Left Coasters!

Evil is as evil does!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
When you have your meetings, are the focus on the rituals or philosophy?

As far as I know, there are allot of different kinds of rituals, but there should also be extremely much philosophy to ponder about.
I can imagine that different Lodges/countries/rites have their own view upon what is the most important part of Masonry?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

As far as I know, there are allot of different kinds of rituals, but there should also be extremely much philosophy to ponder about.
I can imagine that different Lodges/countries/rites have their own view upon what is the most important part of Masonry?

the meetings are business. Just like you have to do for any organization. Some ritual, but mainly business. The degrees are all ritual. The Philosophy happens here. Or outside the lodge. Some chose not to bother with it, some are very engrossed in it.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

This is a very good question!
In my Order of the Continental Tradition, good ritual is important but the "works" are emphasized. At each regular business meeting, one member is assigned to present a 5-10 presentation of their understanding of symbolism, philosophy or another Masonic topic to which the Brethren will have an opportunity to respond. The WM has the final say after which no other may speak again. The philosophical works are done so that members will explore Freemasonry in depth, and are required for advancement in the Craft. The mainstream Lodges have something similar that they call "Lodge of Instruction" but I don't think it is a requirement.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by LiberalSceptic

the meetings are business. Just like you have to do for any organization. Some ritual, but mainly business. The degrees are all ritual. The Philosophy happens here. Or outside the lodge. Some chose not to bother with it, some are very engrossed in it.

When you say "business", do you mean as in networking and expanding ones company, or do you mean as in the Lodge-workings being business it self?
With all the history and values connected to Freemasonry I would imagine that there are allot of philosophy to it.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by no1smootha

This is a very good question!
In my Order of the Continental Tradition, good ritual is important but the "works" are emphasized. At each regular business meeting, one member is assigned to present a 5-10 presentation of their understanding of symbolism, philosophy or another Masonic topic to which the Brethren will have an opportunity to respond. The WM has the final say after which no other may speak again. The philosophical works are done so that members will explore Freemasonry in depth, and are required for advancement in the Craft. The mainstream Lodges have something similar that they call "Lodge of Instruction" but I don't think it is a requirement.

Thank you no1smootha.
I bet you have allot of fun and interesting discussions in your Lodge then.
But since symbolism can be interpreted in so many different ways, what would be the "gauge" for deciding/measuring what would be the correct way? Is it the WM whom decides that, or do you have some written scriptures to go by?
All these presentations done by the members, are that something that you save and archive for future generations of Masons?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

At our regular business meetings, we conduct Lodge business that can't be handled at an officers meeting. Reading new petitions, voting on petitions, reading correspondence and minutes, things like that that must be done in open Lodge. At the officers meetings we handle the bills and expenses of the Lodge, which would also be considered Lodge business.

All works are archived and eventually many of the better ones are published in a book available to our members.As you said, our perception and understanding is subjective, and based on limited information if the presenter is of lower degree. The idea is that the right of speech passes from the least experience to the most experienced. If there is something that a member respectfully disagrees or thinks something important was left out, they must wait until right of speech passes to them to address the works.

edit on 16-6-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by no1smootha

At our regular business meetings, we conduct Lodge business that can't be handled at an officers meeting. Reading new petitions, voting on petitions, reading correspondence and minutes, things like that that must be done in open Lodge. At the officers meetings we handle the bills and expenses of the Lodge, which would also be considered Lodge business.

All works are archived and eventually many of the better ones are published in a book available to our members.As you said, our perception and understanding is subjective, and based on limited information if the presenter is of lower degree. The idea is that the right of speech passes from the least experience to the most experienced. If there is something that a member respectfully disagrees or thinks something important was left out, they must wait until right of speech passes to them to address the works.

edit on 16-6-2012 by no1smootha because: (no reason given)

It sure would be interesting to read that book!
Sounds like a very good system.
Thank you for the answers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join