It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon FIOS to top 300 Mbps coming in June:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
According to a litany of supposed training materials sent over to The Verge by an anonymous Verizon employee, Verizon's overall FIOS service will split into six different pricing levels – up two from the four price tiers the company currently offers. New to Verizon's plate will be an (absurdly fast) 300/65 Mbps service that's expected to cost a mere $204.99 monthly with a two-year service agreement.

www.pcmag.com...

Verizon Wireless once again is breaking the boundaries of the internet. It was the first company to revolutionize with 3G internet speeds. It was the first company to come out with FIOS and it was the first company to introduce 4G internet to the world! Now, breaking it's own speed record, Verizon will soon bump up its fastest connections at 100 Mbps to 300!!!! Would you pay more than $200 a month for blazing fast internet that's three times as fast as the fastest connection today?

Me? I'll probably wait about a year for pricing to go down and get in on a good deal. Imagine what they are working on in private.
edit on 3-6-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
4g is gonna get a lot faster than this too. i heard in the gbps range

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a "mere" $200?
It's weird how you describe that amount of money as mere lol.
I wouldn't pay more than $40 for internet service no matter how fast.
After a certain speed it all seems the same to me.
I'm happy with my 20mbps.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
a "mere" $200?

If you know my posting format that's part of the article sorry. I post a paragraph from the article than the article, then my own thoughts.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thats great and all, but for it to even work
the networks and sites have to have the bandwith
on the servers to even support it..

The whole system had to be updates
or your still going to max out at 2-3 mb's
download speed pure download like
say your downloading a legal released movie
your not going to see over 2-3mb's down on it,
Which is still pretty fast .

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Thats great and all, but for it to even work
the networks and sites have to have the bandwith
on the servers to even support it..

Yes, that's the downside. Government is slowly but surely taking down and monitoring torrents and peer to peer networks so that we are forced to use legal broadband uses like netflix and stuff.

I know FIOS caps torrent connections now! That's why I say, wait a year so the hackers can get on the scene too to find ways around the blocks.
edit on 3-6-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
a "mere" $200?

Your not understand the implications...

WITH THIS service you could run your on servers
and support THOUSANDS of users.. All by yourself
that is why the fcc and all the legal jumps have to be
hurdled through.

by the way love these types of threads
edit on 3-6-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
OMG, time to download the library of congress in 5 minutes to my computer. This is gonna be so awesome, but at 200 bux a month I would split it with someone else to at least make it 100 a month per person at least.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

I have 768/128k DSL. Had it for over a decade now. Its been sufficient for all my needs thus far, and I do many things: download, play online games, stream videos, etc. I wouldnt mind a small upgrade, it would definitely help with large files... but honestly I dont really fret over it, I just occupy my time elsewhere while files are downloading.

I think the fact a residential service offering 400 times this speed for a hefty premium is indicative of the culture of excess thats still pervasive in our society today, even though the normal joe doesnt have the money to really afford any excess at all, and sometimes, cant even afford some of the necessities.

And what kind of files are people downloading that require massive bandwidth like this? Was 12 seconds to long for you to wait on that 100mpbs connection? Perhaps your connection speed is not the issue then, if 12 seconds is to long to wait for some arbitrary file to download. Sounds more like an internal problem, rather than an external one.
edit on 6/3/2012 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Yea those bastards are at it again. I use Verizon and it is awesome, but here are some things you can do to obfuscate your torrent connections (I use utorrent):

1 - Random port at each startup
2 - Force Encryption (keep legacy connections checked)

They won't be able to read the traffic but I heard that they are doing traffic usage analysis to see how is using torrents.

For instance they do not know it is a torrent but it does look suspicious when you have 100 peers connected to your ip address, that is how they suspect you are using torrents even if you encrypt.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaticusMaximus

And what kind of files are people downloading that require massive bandwidth like this? Was 12 seconds to long for you to wait on that 100mpbs connection? Perhaps your connection speed is not the issue then, if 12 seconds is to long to wait for some arbitrary file to download.

I'm guessing HD movies which can take hours to download with a low speed connection.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

They won't be able to read the traffic but I heard that they are doing traffic usage analysis to see how is using torrents.

For instance they do not know it is a torrent but it does look suspicious when you have 100 peers connected to your ip address, that is how they suspect you are using torrents even if you encrypt.

Exactly but even that is going away on smartphones at least. I had a hack where I could use my unlimited 3g network on my grandfathered data plan at my college to get around its firewall. Before the caps and such. Now, Verizon Just announced that the grandfathers are getting buried at the end of the summer. I will be forced to have to figure out how much data I need and pay for that even though it has a cap. Good thing I graduated!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
4g is gonna get a lot faster than this too. i heard in the gbps range

Keep in mind that Mbps is not megaBYTES its megaBITS.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
OMG, time to download the library of congress in 5 minutes to my computer. This is gonna be so awesome, but at 200 bux a month I would split it with someone else to at least make it 100 a month per person at least.

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaa

If you lived in an apartment?
Hey neighbor, how much you paying for internet? $30 a month and you can have super fast internet...

And yeah, 300Mbps, thats great but I hardly go over 100Mbps on my internal network as it is. Maybe torrents would go faster but if they are capping them.. then it makes no sense.

I also can't get FIOS in my area. It took until June 2002 to be able to get cable.. DSL just a few years ago as you can't be over a certain amount of feet from the nearest CO..

This would really only make sense if you want to run servers like another poster said.

top topics

join