It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic Genealogy , Search your DNA history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Not sure if this has ever been brought up before ??

But , there is a company that will trace your DNA and give you a full report on your genetic back ground . They will , apairently , be able to tell you if you are related to some of histories greats , your ethnic make up , as well as some other interesting info on you and your genitc history .

They do charge a fee to send you out a test kit , then once you take your sample you send it back to them for testing .

This does sound very interesting and I was wondering if anyone out there in ATS land has ever done this , or thought about doing this ?

Anyway , for those interested to learn more here's the link . www.dnaancestryproject.com...

And for the record , I am in no way affiliated with these people nor am I endorsing this company . I only seek your thoughts and would love to hear from anyone who has done this type of thing in the past .

edit on 3-6-2012 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This would be interesting but I'd make sure the company is reputable before going all in.
You never know what you'll find

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I've gone through 3 deepening layers--more thorough analyses via the

National Geographic Society DNA study.

Each succeeding analysis seemed to be advertised as more and more revealing.

I was repeatedly underwhelmed with the "more revealing."

I'd like to do the "more revealing" family relationships 'deeper analysis.'

I'm torn. It's more money than I can logically afford. It would purportedly reveal the degree of the two Native American ancestries I contain--Choctaw and Cherokee. And I am keenly interested in that.

However, I'm loathe to pay out that kind of money only to be underwhelmed yet again with the degree of helpful information provided. Supposedly, that analysis would be REALLY SUBSTANTIVE in more interesting and useful specifics resulting from the analysis. It just feels like I've thought that before, only to be disappointed.

Nevertheless, my ancestry has been matched with folks from . . .

--the middle East
--India
--the balkins
--Scandanavia
--Britain
--Germany
--Scotland
--Ireland

I think those were all on the Y chromosome. My Native American heritage is all through my Great Grandmothers--which does not show up, of course, on my Y chromosome.

I don't know about the company cited. They may have bought out the company involved with the National Geographic Society--which is Family Tree DNA. I don't recall.

I think it's a lot of money on my Social Security income. So, in such a financial status, I'd encourage it ONLY if it's a REALLY BURNING INTEREST.

And be REALLY CLEAR what will be provided for what cost.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

Thanks for sharing your expereance !

The company posted in the link offers there complete back ground check , if I read it all correctly , for 380 bucks , or there abouts . Does that price reflect with your past expereance ?

Once again , thanks for sharing !

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I've done some of this. Our family has one of those "Cherokee Ancestor" stories, so we tried to prove it with a male ancestor and with a female one (much harder because surnames change every generation. We proved that we have no Native American DNA at all, which was a disappointment, but still it's best knowing the truth. because some of my ancestors had Indian names, we think maybe they were adopted into the tribe and lived in the area.

I also did the National geographic study. It is generic. They can tell you more or less where your deep ancestors came from, which in my case is Europe, which is, well, obvious. The charts they send along are very nice and if you're intersted in DNA, anthropology, and the such, you'll learn a lot from them.

As far as being related to someone famous, of course you are. Just do the math. With four generations per century you have 2^40 power in 1,000 years, which is over a trillion. Every time I see someone on these boards say, "I'm related to Charlamagne" I snicker, because of course they are. Me and you, too. If you've ever done any genealogy, once you get back 100-200 years you will wind up running into an ancestor that has been traced, and you just piggy back on that. I found a book where my great great grandmother was listed, a Mary Montague. That took me back to Jamestown in 1620, then to England back to 1066.

But the point is that this is selective genealogy. Everyone is related to Caesar and Alexander the Great. It is more or less impossible for you not to be. It's just that some people can trace it and some cannot. In summary, this can be a lot of fun. If you think DNA is going to provide you with some dramatic revelations, well, probably not. Slogging through census data is a lot harder, but probably more accurate for your particular family. The DNA stuff can show you general trends.
edit on 6/3/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I think it's just a scam to get hold of your dna.
I wouldn't do it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I wish I had the money to trace my DNA, I know I would find some surprises.

I can say for sure that I have East Indian in my family. My mother is from Guyana which is about 40% East Indian, and 40% Black African, with mixtures of Amerindians, Chinese and other ethnicity. Plus some of the first settlers of Guyana were the Amerindians so I know there had to be some mixing in her ancestry. I might even have some dutch in my line, who knows lmao.

My father side, I don't know.

edit on 3-6-2012 by Q2IN2Y because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

They collected DNA samples from Julius Caesar, then?

DNA profiling can take us back to population areas, from when there were fewer people, but cannot explicitly link us to individuals for whom we have no DNA record.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
reply to post by Max_TO

They collected DNA samples from Julius Caesar, then?

DNA profiling can take us back to population areas, from when there were fewer people, but cannot explicitly link us to individuals for whom we have no DNA record.

Don't think I mentioned Julius Caeser ?

As to if they have his DNA , I have no idea

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Yes I did it through a company in England - Oxford Ancestors. I can't say it was very revealing but it did not cost $380 (About$195).

They all vary but the important thing is not how many nice bits of paper you get but the number of genetic markers the test uses. Mine was 15 and it is not enough. I wish I had known that before do it. You need a 37 marker test at the very minimum. The more markers the better chance of finding a match.

You also want to find one that maintains a database that you can be cross matched to. Another English one is DNA Heritage

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for your input !

Did you have a chance to look over the link I posted ? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on their test procedure , given that you have been through this before and have learned a thing or two from your past expereance .

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

My dad did this a few months back, at the urging of one of his sisters. (They're real big on "family" and geneology on that side.) I told him I wanted no part of it, sounded like a brilliant way to get thousands of people's dna without much fuss. I'm leary of anything that'll ask for dna in exchange for any darn thing.

The results he got back were just a run down of the different halpogroups his dna was associated with. He thought it was kinda interesting (considering he's the sort of individual who can't spell Halpogroups, on a good day), I thought it was pretty disappointing. Not to mention, now this random company has the dna of my father and countless other family members *sigh*

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by starsyren
The results he got back were just a run down of the different halpogroups his dna was associated with. He thought it was kinda interesting (considering he's the sort of individual who can't spell Halpogroups, on a good day), I thought it was pretty disappointing. Not to mention, now this random company has the dna of my father and countless other family members *sigh*

It's "haplogroup"

I'd be very cautious of sending my DNA for testing. Not only because of all the privacy issues (e.g. what if some insurance company gets hold of your profile), but also because what I might find out. For example, I wouldn't be happy to hear that I have Huntington's disease. Anyway, it would be nice if everyone submitted their results to this guy. He's doing some really cool open source science..

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

Was that my only mistake? HA! Not bad for a dyslexic huh? You wouldn't believe how long
it takes me to type these posts out and proof-read them...

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I didn't use this company but I have done a very similar test. Maternally, I belong to a subclabe of the maternal haplogroup that produced Luke The Evangelist, Marie Antoinette, and Napoleon.

edit on 5-6-2012 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rhinoceros

I've used some of his tools on Gedmatch. Very interesting.

2nd.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I too share the concern about handing over my DNA and it is a topic that can't be totally disregarded when talking about this subject .

join