It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Cause Global Warming - Society vs. Science

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I was rummaging amongst some saved files on my PC and came across this little gem from almost 2 years ago. It is a speech given as part of a series of Caltech Michelin Lectures by Michael Crichton on 17 January 2003. I actually found a number of still-active links on the web and am posting one here:

Aliens Cause Global Warming

The text is too long to post in it's entirety here, but an excerpt that gives a good idea of the general flavour of the speech would be:

"Once you abandon strict adherence to what science tells us, once you start arranging the truth in a press conference, then anything is possible. In one context, maybe you will get some mobilization against nuclear war. But in another context, you get Lysenkoism. In another, you get Nazi euthanasia. The danger is always there, if you subvert science to political ends."

It is an interesting read, with which I wholeheartedly concur (which is why I saved it in the first place!). Some of the stuff that I read here on ATS is really stimulating and thoughtful, while some of the other stuff is so shot full of wishful thinking, paranoia, and pseudoscience that "it would make a grown man weep".

If anyone wants to take the time to read the speech, I would be interested in their thoughts and comments. I personally believe that we could use more of that sort of thinking here on ATS......Objectivity over PC thinking and false science!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Some of the stuff that I read here on ATS is really stimulating and thoughtful, while some of the other stuff is so shot full of wishful thinking, paranoia, and pseudoscience

I wholeheartedly believe that once an idea is manifested and filtered through the limitations of a spoken language it becomes a pseudoscience, regardless. You have to use your own sense of logic and passion to discern the truth. This is evident when you understand everything is prone to change...including modern western science; and it does all the time.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well I seriously doubt aliens hav anything to do with global warming. Scientists still don't have a hold of it, even though they are still debating. Does global warming occur? Of course. It causes and amounts of change are still being monitored. Its already gone down from last year. Why is that? Less hair spray and deodorant? Its certainly not less fuel consumption.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by RR98

"Once you abandon strict adherence to what science tells us, once you start arranging the truth in a press conference, then anything is possible. In one context, maybe you will get some mobilization against nuclear war. But in another context, you get Lysenkoism. In another, you get Nazi euthanasia. The danger is always there, if you subvert science to political ends."

It is an interesting read, with which I wholeheartedly concur (which is why I saved it in the first place!).

That is indeed an interesting sentence, and I understand absolutely not a single word of it

Anyway, does it take into account the fact global warming/cooling has happened so many times throughout history we cant even count the times? Does it assume that aliens has been here since like billions of years back, just playing with the global temperature? Man that must take some patience!!!

top topics

join