It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

abioGenesis hypothesis: scientific or just a silly idea? What say you?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by edmc^2
Ahh... that's the difference between you and I. I know what I believe and can prove it where as you don't know what you believe and can't prove it.

Wrong. You can't prove it and you don't know the answer. You are taking a pure guess as fact. The process of evolution IS proven.

Life can only come / arise from pre-existing life - science not only can prove it but duplicate it.

You have your science backwards. Science can't prove or disprove that statement.

The Fine Tuned Universe points to an intelligent Designer / Creator - an Intelligent Design requires an Intelligent Designer. Science not only can prove it but can apply it to reality.

Fine tuned universe is your opinion, NOT proven by science.

But let me also ask you this question - is Evolution theory a fact or just a theory - an unproven theory?

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. The theory is the part we are trying to learn more about. The fact, is the process of evolution which can be observed and measured in any creature on earth.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
reply to post by HappyBunny

Neil DeGrasse Tyson said it best:

Good video. He's absolutely right!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Only in America (or Amercia) would someone claim that education is a bad thing. No wonder our math and science ranks around #30 in the world and our children can't compete in a global economy

And no one said an education was a, " Bad thing " either. I did imply some are smart enough not to let it blind them. I suggest you join them. That is all.

How bout you Bunny. Do you believe you have a soul ? Again it's a yes or no question. Lets see how you handle it.
That doesn't mean you can't follow up your answer with an explanation. Just please yes or no first ?
Don't make me throw upper case symbolism at you. Because I will. You've seen it.

edit on 5-6-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs

Only in America (or Amercia) would someone claim that education is a bad thing. No wonder our math and science ranks around #30 in the world and our children can't compete in a global economy

And no one said an education was a, " Bad thing " either. I did imply some are smart enough not to let it blind them. I suggest you join them. That is all.

You sound like Thomas Dolby. Though where you get off calling people who think science over religion is the way to go is beyond me. Your faith has brainwashed you into thinking science is evil and that evolution is just a giant conspiracy theory aimed at getting our kids to turn away from God. If you were honest, you'd admit that.

How bout you Bunny. Do you believe you have a soul ? Again it's a yes or no question. Lets see how you handle it.

Oh, please. Once again, your question is flawed. What evidence do you have that there's any such thing as a soul?

That doesn't mean you can't follow up your answer with an explanation. Just please yes or no first ?
Don't make me throw upper case symbolism at you. Because I will. You've seen it.

Then you can go right ahead and make yourself look like a damned fool. I won't be baited by someone who thinks CAPSLOCK is going to intimidate me into such a discussion.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You sound like Thomas Dolby. Though where you get off calling people who think science over religion is the way to go is beyond me. Your faith has brainwashed you into thinking science is evil and that evolution is just a giant conspiracy theory aimed at getting our kids to turn away from God. If you were honest, you'd admit that.

I have no problem admiting that. I was only kidding with the threat of upper case, but I can see the question makes you extremely uncomfortable.

A simple question that you all appear so afraid to answer. Why is that ? Lighten up ! Be happy.
I doubt your hero Tyson would answer it either tho. Prolly get all mad and stomp off his lil stage in front of his audience of peers. I think it's odd that with all that education you can't answer a simple question.

Blind.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Nobody knows if a soul even exists. So if you asked Tyson, you'd get a "scientifically we have zero evidence for a soul" answer. You might BELIEVE souls exist, but that's a belief...not true knowledge or a fact based theory.

Oh...and Tyson isn't thrown off by "difficult" questions

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
By the way, what should really worry US citizens is this:

Especially given economic growth depends on this...

And all that happens because education is suffering like crazy. For crying out loud, you let people run for office who believe the earth is only 6,000 years old, or that dinosaurs roamed the earth with humans, or that it's ok to to "warning stickers" on books that teach proper science just because it might conflict with an irrational belief!!! I'm Swiss, and I can tell you one thing: If a Swiss politician were to admit he believes the earth is only 6,000 years old, pretty much the entire population would have a good laugh before wishing that guy good luck with his career change.

edit on 5-6-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   

The Fine Tuned Universe points to an intelligent Designer / Creator - an Intelligent Design requires an Intelligent Designer. Science not only can prove it but can apply it to reality.

Which is it?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Alright X I believe I have ran the same question by you in the past and I believe you did rather well with it.
Memory does fail me tho so I hope you don't mind my running it by you again. I do pose the question as a belief my friend.
As in do you believe ?
What say you my good man ? And guess what ? It's not a baited question even tho it seems to be. I only seek an answer with a promise not to refute. We've been down this road before you and I. Please be so kind as to show your peers I am not so petty as they believe ?

Oh and thank you Happy for bringing me back into the conversation. Then running away like a lil girl.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Personally I believe that I simply don't know. And I'm ok with that...there's tons of stuff I (or anyone else for that matter) don't know. I just don't have the need to make something up (or follow something made up) if there's no objective evidence to support it. I rather admit to not knowing and then move on with my life

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

It seems as tho you have no interest in knowing. I know for fact I have a soul however subjective that knowledge may be. You see I've even opened myself up to your scrutiny witrh the same question. Knowing and believing are two seperate things. So what do you believe ?

Am I to assume you all tuirn into cowards under the guise of a simple question? I thought I knew you better than that X. Or should I say knew better of you ?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It seems as tho you have no interest in knowing.

Don't get me wrong, of course I want to know. But I'm a realist and when something is unknown (aka no fact based evidence), then it's simply unknown...claiming otherwise is "making stuff up" just because "not knowing" is scary.

I know for fact I have a soul however subjective that knowledge may be.

You might subjectively believe that...but it's not a fact

Knowing and believing are to seperate things. So what do you believe ?

I believe that we don't know. Not sure what else you want to hear? There's a whole bunch of hypothesis (chemical reactions are "us", religious soul, energy, etc.) but none of them have the objective evidence necessary to make a conclusive statement. And that's a FACT

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

It seems as tho you have no interest in knowing.

Don't get me wrong, of course I want to know. But I'm a realist and when something is unknown (aka no fact based evidence), then it's simply unknown...claiming otherwise is "making stuff up" just because "not knowing" is scary.

I know for fact I have a soul however subjective that knowledge may be.

You might subjectively believe that...but it's not a fact

Knowing and believing are to seperate things. So what do you believe ?

I believe that we don't know. Not sure what else you want to hear? There's a whole bunch of hypothesis (chemical reactions are "us", religious soul, energy, etc.) but none of them have the objective evidence necessary to make a conclusive statement. And that's a FACT

None of this means you don't believe something. It's all irrelevant to what you believe. You and I both know you don't know so that can't be a belief. What I want is a simple yes or no answer as to what you believe about mans spirituality. Do you believe you have a soul? yes or no ? Nothing complicated going on here especially for you.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You want an answer to a question that can't be answered. And why does my belief have to be different from what we know? Are you suggesting I should make something up or believe in something without evidence?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I intend to wait for the answer until hell freezes over if that's what it takes. There is no answer that's straight out BS.

I can answer it just fine. What's your own very personal answer. yes or no ?

If you do believe you have a soul the answer is going to be yes.

If you don't believe you have a soul the answer is going to be no.

I think Sirnex is the only one who ever had the cahounnies to answer the question. He said no.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I have no problem admiting that. I was only kidding with the threat of upper case, but I can see the question makes you extremely uncomfortable.

No, it doesn't.

A simple question that you all appear so afraid to answer. Why is that ? Lighten up ! Be happy.

I'm not afraid to answer it at all. I don't get what the point of it is, though. There is no evidence either way, so I'd have to take the agnostic view and say I don't have any idea if a soul exists or not. And neither do you--which if you were being honest you'd admit that, too.

I doubt your hero Tyson would answer it either tho. Prolly get all mad and stomp off his lil stage in front of his audience of peers. I think it's odd that with all that education you can't answer a simple question.

Yeah, whatever.

Blind.

Brainwashed and unable to think for yourself due to your reliance on faith.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

reply to post by randyvs

You want an answer to a question that can't be answered. And why does my belief have to be different from what we know? Are you suggesting I should make something up or believe in something without evidence?

Why not? It works for him.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I'm not afraid to answer it at all. I don't get what the point of it is, though. There is no evidence either way, so I'd have to take the agnostic view and say I don't have any idea if a soul exists or not. And neither do you--which if you were being honest you'd admit that, too.

Glad you could make your back. Then answer the question please. That's all I'm asking but it's like pulling teeth. Why is that ? I have to wonder.

I've already stated I do know for a fact. However subjective my eveidence is. I believe I have a soul that will leave this body when I die. As it has in the past no question about it.

Very simply yes or no ? It won't cost you a thing. Sept maybe some snickers from your peers if you say yes.

Heaven forbid.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

edit on 5-6-2012 by Wertdagf because: because sometimes telling the truth doesnt help.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I believe I have a soul that will leave this body when I die. As it has in the past no question about it.

Does your personality mirror your soul? Yes or no? According to most major sects of Judaism (including Christianity), a person is judged by his actions (which I assume result from his personality or "soul"). It's rather interesting take on things, considering that a hit to the right place of head can completely change a person, e.g. turn a loving husband into an abusive a**hole. So, if personality = soul, then apparently a soul can change completely and basically instantly from physical harm to the body. On the other hand, if personality doesn't mirror the soul, then what exactly is a soul?

p.s. I see no reason what so ever to believe that humans possess "souls". It's just wishful thinking reflecting the fact that people (like most other animals) are afraid of death..
edit on 5-6-2012 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join