It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's mass firing of ocean scientists

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
www.antisealingcoalition.ca...

www.antisealingcoalition.ca...

Parasite Blamed in Seals' Deaths?

SYDNEY — The deaths of about 400 young grey seals on Hay Island in February is being blamed on a microscopic parasite.

However, Dr. Pierre-Yves Daoust, a professor of wildlife pathology at the University of Prince Edward Island, says he has not yet been able to identify the parasite.

“It may be a new parasite,” he said. “I have pursued that in the past number of weeks, sent specimens here and there and so on.

“It’s quite a challenging kind of pathogen to try to identify.”

Daoust said until he knows what the parasite is, he would only be speculating about where it comes from, why it appeared in the Hay Island population of seals and whether it may appear again.

Grey seals that whelp on Hay Island won’t be back until next year so it’s not like studying domestic animals like cows that are around all of the time, he said.

The dead seals were discovered in February by seal-hunt opponents in the Humane Society International/Canada who regularly travel to Hay Island to document and oppose any seal hunts.

Hay Island lies off the eastern coast of Cape Breton near Scatarie Island.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada has estimated that about 2,500 grey seal pups are born on Hay Island each year, said Daoust.

A biologist who travelled to Hay Island said the majority of the dead seals were weaned pups that looked to be in fairly good body condition.

Daoust said necropsies on 10 of the seals showed liver damage, although he suspects the parasite also attacked other organs.

The parasite could have been passed on to the young pups through the placenta of mother animals, he said.

“Why in such large numbers?” Daoust mused. “The bottom line is that it is a very intriguing parasite and that’s why some colleagues and I are very interested in pursuing it.”

Daoust said he and colleages may soon take a try at isolating the parasite in a lab situation but he is uncertain about having the right ceIl cultures.

“I don’t know at this stage whether it is something we can do or not. If we can, we certainly will.”

When it comes to whether the parasites could pose a health hazard to people eating grey seal meat, Daoust said parasites are part of the life history of many wild animals.

“Whether it be ducks, whether it be bears, whether it be moose, whether it be seals, what do you do? You cook this meat particularly well and then you avoid any potential contamination.

“Having said that, we don’t even know with this parasite, again it is speculation, we don’t know whether even if you ate raw seal meat whether it will go into you. “

[email protected]

Guess we will never know.

i vote Radiation.
as a Canadian i get a say.

Harper.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
A portion of the issue involves Canada's involvement with sonar testing.

I wrote a speculative thread regarding the "Sounds in the sky" involving sonar tests here and abroad, but details can be found within that includes Canada's use of such equipment and it's death toll on marine life, as well.

What were those sounds in the sky? - Explained

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

i live in canada, and we are getting tired of our governement and unlike our south cousing, we actualy protest and defy the new anti-protest law they put in place

just give us time and we will fix this madness

whatdoes america do meanwhile? re-elect a cabalistic draconian black masonic president. destroy east coast with bp spill and destroy west coast with radiation, destroy mexico with drug cartel war and blame canada for anything that is happening to north.

america is a plague to this world as long you sick fatty basterd wont change your country you will pollute every other country around.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
When I lived in Detroit I watched a lot of Canadian TV growing up. Back then it was friendly borders at the bridge and tunnel. I always had the impression that Canada was very concerned about the environment and was far more progressive than the States in that regard. I tended to over look industry pollution from Sarnia when considering Canada's rigorous standards for keeping the great lakes watershed clean. Seeing the damage done around Detroit, however, there isn't much of a comparison. I hate to see the environmental movement in Canada lose ground.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
America got out of the Sardine canning business and shut that all down recently. Anyone ponder why?

Also 3 US Tuna canneries in American Samoa were shut down and I think only 1 outfit is still running an operation there.

After WWII many countries had vast stockpiles of Chemical Weapons, much was thrown into the sea. They expected the cast iron bomb shells to last 50 years under the sea before they start rusting thru and releasing their poison.

50 YEARS IS UP.

Add onto that Fukushima and all the other nuclear accidents, oil spills, chemicals thrown into the sea. Back in America's hay-day of manufacturing when companies had hazardous waste from manufacturing to get rid of....much was dumped into the sea off our coast. Can you imagine what China's dumping into the sea now that they are the worlds manufacturer?

Quit eating stuff out of the Sea.

Pacific Tuna is now radioactive. Atlantic Tuna spawns in the Gulf of Mexico. The Oilcano + Corexit took care of the Atlantic Tuna. Plus all those chemical weapons leaching out now from their undersea dumpsites off the coasts of many countries.

Canada fired its scientists for a reason. Same reason the guy in America who had the Federal contract to inspect all the undersea chemical weapon dumpsites was found DEAD.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Yeah, I'm also really disappointed in Canada right now. I've always had tremendous respect for Canada (I'm American) as a place of peace, healthy concerned people, educated, polite...you name it. Now it just seems to be going to hell in a handbasket. I'm really surprised by the developments that I'm seeing there. I just didn't expect Canada to ever go fascist.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
When is the election AND how to get a paper going aimed at the crapola and support of NWO and the policies of the corporate takeover of our nation. Apparently, we are listed as a corporation owned by the US, I read somewhere else on line.

The thing that is important is legislation IS NOT LAW, its often under the constitution crimes.

They have to be tossed immediately, but very importantly, is to keep the topics up in the public domain, ie. some news letters, newspapers, and online sites, including working with a good opposition party to really educate each area, so that come hell and high water, on election they are out of there.

BUT, for what they're doing, I want criminal charges, and house arrest, on bracelets and low welfare type allowances, I sure the hell don't want to see them on their retirement salaries and bonus's. They don't deserve this for their massive crimes.

The silence over Fukushima, is CRIMINAL.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Regarding the pipeline/tankers...
Similar sort of thing happened in April when the Federal Gov announced that due to cut backs they were going to close the oil disaster response and research center in BC and shift responsibility to the Coast Guard/ Quebec

Article

The federal government is closing B.C.'s command centre for emergency oil spills at a time when the province is facing two possible pipeline projects and a potential spike in tanker traffic in West Coast waterways. Ottawa has said it will shut down B.C.'s regional office for emergency oil-spill responders, located in Vancouver, and centralize operations in Quebec in the wake of the cost-cutting March 29 federal budget.

It's these types of decisions that just make you do an about turn "wait .....what?!"
edit on 1-6-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Well, first let me say the older generation of Canadians, and the farmers and the ignorant were duped by the Conservatives into voting for this madman Harper....
They wanted their freedom to own their weapons and they wanted goverment accountability....
Harper made a big deal out of these issues and more that would please the older canadians......
From this end of the election it has become aparent that few of the glowing promises and more of the NWO policies will be implemented.
Canada has been duped big time.....its people are furious and its no secret they will get rid of this upstart Hitler copy next election.....
Heres hoping that there will be enough country left to save after it.
The firing of these scientists comes on the heels of the raising of the radiation standards and the Fukishima effects beginning to show up in North America....
The north country will begin to show these radiation effects fairly rapidly now....Oceanographic scientists would be the first to sound the warnings would they not\??????

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
All Canadians viewing this needs to make the information viral. Send this out to everyone you know and lets get organized!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
To bad we couldn't vote David Suzuki as the minister of environment of Canada. To bad we can't vote for people in ministries that are relevant to the job description .

(edit) I am pretty sure the radiation has already circled the world , wouldn't there be things affected inland as well by now?
edit on 1/6/12 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

It's Canada Day, so greetings and happy wishes to all my fellow citizens and to those of you who are indoors escaping from the heat or rain.!

This topic of this thread has been bothering me and I hope this thread continues after the brief pause, because the topic is so important. A couple of days ago one of the major networks was showing how tsunami debris has been arriving in Oregon and how NOAA has a plan to deal with it. We in Canada do not have a plan of any kind, and yet debris has been arriving on our shores too.

While on the surface the arrival of debris on North American shores is a fact, and the fear of radiation apparently assuaged, what has NOT been acknowledged or even investigated to my knowledge (for lack of scientists??) is that some of the debris acts as a transportation vehicle, a taxi for unwelcome marine species. Specifically they mentioned a poisonous invasive starfish species coming to Oregon. Is this one case of Canada's deliberately thinking "if we don't see it, it can't see us?"*

As mentioned in a Huffington post article:

But scientists worried it represented a whole new way for invasive species of seaweed, crabs and other marine organisms to break the earth's natural barriers and further muck up the West Coast's marine environments. And more invasive species could be hitching rides on tsunami debris expected to arrive in the weeks and months to come.

link to article

Must we rely on someone else's plan and copy it if and when it applies to us? Is it a lost cause anyway? How lazy and dumb is that? How can Canada just ignore something that could really affect our west coast fishery and marine habitats along BC and Haida Gwai? So fine work with NOAA, but should that mean that we sign out on the problem altogether by not having a plan of our own?

Should the firing of our scientists be the way to buy our silence on the subject? Is this what the government's intended outcome was, namely our silence? Think about it please. I guess it's time to fire off another letter to my MP.

(*ref Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Hi, ecologic fans.

I have NEVER seen so STUPID governments as the 2 I see today:
1 = the Canada one and
2 = the Quebec one !

I am TOTALY ASHAMED to live here!! and
angry to see the stupidities those 2 govs are making !!

In Canada we have the same $tupid$ that scraped/killed the AVRO / ARROW jet !!

Blue? skies!

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by C-JEAN

Actually Canada just put a long-range deep space telescope/sat.,,in orbit the other day.
remember when Canada was number 2 in Orbiting Sat.s,,
Third? Com Sat,,,Canada

that was part of the AVRO deal.
just no info allowed too the press.

edit on 1-7-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
canada took too much advice from the US????

it will turn around. it has to. this kind of path is too destructive....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join