It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada's mass firing of ocean scientists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+24 more 
posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The Conservative Party of Canada's continuing war on the environment is staggering. Following the confirmed muzzling of research scientists comes this opinion piece by "Peter Ross, who is among the world’s leading experts on marine mammals and contaminants"

Article

Canada is dismantling the nation's entire ocean contaminants program as part of massive layoffs at the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Among the scientists terminated are ones who have conducted landmark research about global pollutants for decades: Peter Ross, who is among the world’s leading experts on marine mammals and contaminants, Gary Stern, a mercury expert whose work focuses on the Arctic, Michel Lebeuf, who studies the highly contaminated St. Lawrence belugas and Michael Ikonomou, who researches flame retardants and other endocrine-disrupting contaminants in salmon and other ocean life. Ross told EHN that his main concern is the "wholesale axing of pollution research" that will leave Canada, and much of the world, without the scientific knowledge to protect whales, seals, fish and other marine life

It is with deep regret that I relay news of my termination of employment at Fisheries and Oceans Canada and the loss of my dream job. It is with even greater sadness that I learn of the demise of DFO’s entire contaminants research program – regionally and nationally. It is with apprehension that I ponder a Canada without any research or monitoring capacity for pollution in our three oceans, or any ability to manage its impacts on commercial fish stocks, traditional foods for over 300,000 aboriginal people and marine wildlife.

Canada's silence on these issues will be deafening this summer and beyond.

Is it any coincidence that:
a) Possible radiation in marine life may become a major issue in the coming years.
b) The Northern Gateway Pipeline is already gaining too much attention of residence and activists abroad.

It seems like nothing can be done to stop this madness. We are stuck with these leeches. Canada used to be a world leader in many disciplines....I'm starting to no longer be proud of the place I call home.

edit on 31-5-2012 by Vardoger because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2012 by Vardoger because: grammer

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I agree a bit ashamed these days to say I am a Canadian under Herr Harper, never once did I see our country taking the positions they do, and passing laws, and rules like they are, as well as surpressing an info what so ever. Sad sad times in Canadian politcs, the dictator is alive and well, and ushering us towards his agenda.

What it is I couldn't tell ya but I aint happy with where I see it heading....

SaneThinking

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
These firings and closings are only the first volley in the attack on anyone educated in and involved with environmental studies. The next round will come with the inevitable passing of the Omnibus bill.

3 years to go...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
That because they need the money to pay for these

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sad really I believe in deffence but not at the cost of the enviromemt.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh Canada
Our home and native land
True monetary love
And all our sons obey......

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
In times of austerity, scientific research ranks almost as high as arts programs on the list of "things to cancel first"

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
With the inevitable effects of Fukushima and the Gulf of Mexico right on our doorstep I don't think it is any coincidence at all.

If people are unaware of a problem, then there is no problem seems to be the mantra.

The corporations win another round I guess.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
He will turf anyone he can who doesn't share in his opinion . All he cares about is increasing industry profits and has shown time and time again Canadians are a resource to the upper class Protesting , labor strikes, speaking out in harpie's land will get one fired , jailed , or court ordered back to work legislation. He is turning government in Canada into a us against them on the tax payers.

Why can't we fire him as of yesterday ... now

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
A very good thread and read, S&F right off the bat here.
Yes sir check out this link and ponder the scale of this.
www.cbc.ca...
www.manitoulin.ca...
www.theobserver.ca...
themudreport.blogspot.ca...

But like another poster above noted we can afford all kinds of warfare gadgets, including a fleet of faulty F35's and used British subs that do not nor have ever worked.

Where does it end? I have no idea but I can say this without a doubt that public safety is the last thing they have in mind here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Harper is a puppet, just like Obama is. Although he does nothing to show he cares for the people. At least Obama pretends to. O Canada, I once really believed in you, however we have been sold out. See who really runs this country here

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

WOW what a good link and read you provided,

The youth in Quebec are trying to just begin to stand up, to say ‘No More!’ and demand for themselves and others a chance at a future. The success of the strike is secondary to the newly-discovered strength of the students. They have been dismissed and derided, insulted and oppressed, from the left and the right, from so-called Progressives and self-congratulating Libertarians. Because the students do not articulate the same philosophy as those of other critics, they are presented as naïve and ‘entitled.’ Those who insult and deride without empathy or understanding only expose their own naivety. The fundamental and historical importance of the present situation in Québec is not the cost of tuition, it’s the mass mobilization of youth: it is an expression of a popular and growing dissatisfaction with the way things are and an articulation and drive to create something different, to chart a course for the way things can be.

Powerful stuff indeed.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Thanks. It has kept me from sleeping on some nights. The students know what the picture is and they want a future. I wish all of Canada would take to the streets and bang on pots and pans too. Someone tried it in my little town last night for about 20 seconds, but they began too late, imo. I was almost asleep. There were about four people. Maybe it was just a false start? However TPTB have been waiting for mass uprisings in 2012. Looks like we're all going downhill fast folks.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Vardoger

S&F! It appears Mussolini/Harper is trying to invoke Chinese communist discipline when it comes to the environment, he is a fascist at heart. The Chinese are systematically destroying their country and since they are trying to buy Canada) looks like the US and China are both trying to annex Canada), it should be expected that Harper will convert our colony to our new "masters" terms. We need a means of invoking a vote of non-confidence in this thing that calls itself a government that will stick. The elections were fraudulent enough and for Harper to get back in was ridiculous. I must have talked to a thousand rational people before the election, about a dozen people said they were voting for Harper, the rest were voting liberal, green or NDP, in that order.

But what can you really expect from a corrupt oligarchy masquerading as a government, except a "Harper" and the destruction of our rights, freedoms, population and environment? After all, we have to make room for the Chinese, right?

Cheers - Dave
edit on 5/31.2012 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   

That was an excellent article you pointed out on deMaraise, I had to bookmark that one. We could all probably dig a lot deeper and expose all of the connections. I have to wonder though what it would accomplish and if more people would take the time to read these articles? We all know the government is corrupt and we tell them they are corrupt, at least I do at every opportunity, meaning External Affairs, local MP's, CSIS, Revenue Canada (CRA), etc. but most people just don't have the time to do the research. And it;s funny, I told a MP to his face he was corrupt and lied to me about his involvement with CSIS through SERC, he said, "So, take me to court."

The only way to get justice in Canada is if you have the money to spend, there is no justice without adequate payment which is self-defeating and just the way these corrupt bastards want it to be.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I'm surprised Harper isn't just rounding up our scientists and throwing them in concentration camps at this point. Great article. More related threads:

Open Letter to the World on the Governmental Destruction of the Environment in Canada

Science Journal to Feds: Stop Muzzling Scientists

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yeah thanks for that link! Will definitely spread it around.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is obviously about Fukushima. Didn't they shut down all the radiation monitors last summer?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Its about carbon taxes too I'll wager as well as fukushima

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
well they did set up a goverment of canada web site ie weather news,,
officiall weekly Data,,is it still up??
got the web site here somewhere,,and a pic where they said,,data was no longer needed too be collected.
They had all the data needed too make a scientific decision,and analysis,,,
so why waste more tax payers money with scientists telling us,,Canadians,,what we already know,,
were #ed,,
were Canadian's,,not stupid.

u know money better spent on,,giving in too $35.00,,demands for Montreal Students,,
and .10 increases too CP rail employee's.

ohh here:

posted on 31-5-2012 @ 11:14 PM this post
u know,,,#ushima is starting too make
Buchenwald,,
sorry Germany,,only an alegory,,
look,, like a childrens experiment,,mini version,,

put a big wall around it 100 miles,,no enter zone,,
send all the worlds worlds ,,put in favorite bad guys,,
feed them,,let them roam free,,hell put up camera's,,charge admission,,whatever,,
cause they would all be mysteriously dead in 6 months,,and yet cause would be unknown,,,,hmmm
maybe its some kind of dead zone,,
could be a big,,prison?
edit on 31-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Something else I think is important with this mass firing is the carte blanche that will be given to the pipeline and the subsequent government silence during leaks and spills. I just came across a relatively interesting video that bears some reflection especially when considering the nature of this thread. The video exposes the large amount of spills and the related policies and comments by the pipeline company. At what point do we say enough?

I've tried every which way to embed it, but it doesn't appear to want to do that, so will post link to YT below it., just in case.

try this

top topics

<<   2 >>

join