It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WWIII Shot Fired -- Russia Tells UN "Nit" on Syria Military Intervention

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Jessica Golloher
VOA News
May 31, 2012

Russia said the United Nations Security Council should not consider new measures to resolve the crisis in Syria and signaled it would block any effort to authorize military intervention in its Middle Eastern ally.

A spokesman for Russian President Vladimir Putin said Moscow has consistently maintained that dialogue with both the Syrian opposition and President Bashar al-Assad’s regime is necessary for peace.

The comments came after U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that the United States would need Moscow’s help if military intervention in Syria is to take place.

VOA News

Masha Lipman, a political analyst with the Carnegie Center in Moscow, said she is not surprised by the Kremlin’s stance.

“I think Russia has taken a firm stand that it would not be allowed to use the U.N. Security Council for regime change, for toppling a national leader. This is Russia’s firm stance that this is not what the U.N. Security Council is for,” Lipman said.

On Sunday, Russia supported a non-binding Security Council resolution that strongly condemned the killing of more than 100 civilians in Houla last week. Moscow also criticized Assad’s government for using heavy weapons in population centers.

Syria is Russia’s last remaining ally in the Middle East. The relationship dates back to Soviet times. Russia sells arms to Damascas as part of a deal that allows Moscow to maintain a naval base there.

edit on 31-5-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2012 by 1BornPatriot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Well this fits with what I was thinking Russia's stance on Syria is. Their only warm water port is there, and even if their navy is pretty poor now I wouldn't want to give up future opportunities that port could provide if I were Russia. Syria is also a good buyer of their military exports, if I recall right.

Whether or not Russia would go to war over Syria is another question altogether, and one I cannot possibly answer.
edit on 31-5-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Isreal would be a good customer for russian arms if they didn't get everything free from the US...

Maybe the Russians were offended by the fake dead children ( whose deaths were attributed to the Assad admin), pictures (which were certainly from the Iraq war) that were probably a US controlled op from back in the day
edit on 31-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Im a bit lost just trying to catch up with all the happenings with this....

So basically the U.N is turning on Syria? blaming the Syrian government for the Houla killings? and it's the rebels they're fighting correct?
edit on 31-5-2012 by EndWise because: Missed something

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
You should comment about it .. not only copy paste the articles

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

You should comment on it- not play mod fanboy.

On topic:

I'm so numb now theat nothing surprises me any more in regard to the UN efforts to have complete control over the middle east.

Not apathetic, though- not by any means. I am filled with loathing and disgust for all of these war mongers/liars/murderers.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid

You should comment on it- not play mod fanboy.

Haha.

It's real sad that securing arms deals is more important than human lives.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm sort of on the fence -- I dont know which side I should side with on this issue.
I dont like Russia - I dont like Israel and I dont want Americans Involved .... which issue should I comment on - I'm for kicking the UN out of NYC - and I dont want my views to be skewed into being for Israel or Russia or American involvement - I dont trust any of them. sorry - I decided to not comment.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
i know this is off topic but what exactly do you mean by "nit"
i thought that is what head lice eggs were called...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by 1BornPatriot

Moscow also criticized Assad’s government for using heavy weapons in population centers.

heavy weapons,,how heavy does it need too be too shoot someone in the back of the head.?
just,, thinking,,heavy weapons??

link   
reply to post by CagliostroTheGreat

by "nit" I think he means the Russian word for no.

I always thought it was "nyet" though?

Oh well I know next to nothing about Russian.

link   
reply to post by BobAthome

By heavy weapons I think they mean howitzers and tanks.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

thats what i thought as well, i just wanted to be a bit tongue in cheek about it.

and yes you are correct, the russian "no" is in fact phonetically spelled "nyet"

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
In a schoolyard bully brawl, if one walks away without stopping the bullying, one will have to live with his conscience in watching an innocent kid being bullied and beaten to pulp just because he is seemingly 'different' or just small size.

World leaders, espacially Putin, is behaving like a schoolyard bully. He is the supporter of the beast Assad slaughter of Syrians. He makes noises no doubt, but are only noises that will and can NEVER help the survival of another fellow human living in fear and sure death daily within Syria daily.

The free world has considered military intervention, as diplomacy by the delusional UN leaders had publically failed to stop those murders.

The free world is NOT intervening to rob Syria of its resources, or to conquer it, but only to end the daily horrendous murder of our fellow human brothers and sisters in Syria. It is the only option left.

Thus, should the free world 'fear' this schoolyard bully Putin, if we ignore him?

No. We free human have no need to fear this cruel russian despot. We MUST do what we have to do to save lives, and if Putin is not happy, he can rot for all eternity. Mankind DOES NOT LIVE TO PLEASE OR GROVEL BEFORE TYRANTS!

So what is he gonna do? Attack the west? Start WW3? AGAINST the combined forces of the Free world of armies and humans? And not to mention his own citizens in Russia whom are only waiting for the army to turn the other way, kept busy, so that they can revolt against his dictatorship and place his and his bootlickers head on pikes to spit at?

Best Putin wakes up and look around. Even if world leaders do not act, HUMANITY will act. Best he knows WHO are the TRUE SUPER-POWER on Earth.

[yvid]
[/yvid]

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Putin continues to be stubborn and insist on a political situation while our fellow human brothers and sisters continued to be slaughtered daily by the Regime.

There is NO longer a political situation left in Syria, for that beast Assad had already committed heinous crimes against humanity with the first bullet fired upon UNARMED INNOCENT citizens whom were only pleading and voicing out for help and succor. They were NOT terrorists, discussing or planning killing of others. They were only ordinary men, women and children in tears.

Any mandated ruler that does that in our modern world we all share today has lost ALL legitimacy to rule.

Assad is a murderer, and is MORE dangerous now, for he knows what will happened to him when justice is finally served. There is no escape for the crime of murder. Kill another thousand and he will still face death sentence anyway. Thus his continuances of brutal slaughter savagery, aided by Putin's stubborn refusal to save the lives of innocent Syrians facing death and terror daily.

Along with Assad in his act of dealing death to humans, are his syrian citizen supporters. By continual support of him, despite his brutalities, is an act of being accomplices of such murders to others. They are equally guilty as well, and will have to face justice one day too.

May they instead reflect now, stop that support and seek for redemption, while they still have a chance. Assad, being the leader, is the main culprit and let him alone face the wrath of humanity. Others should walk away now, and support his capture to answer for his crime.

Otherwise, for these supporters of Assad, there......will only be.....retribution. Retribution is real, and will not come in mortal form. No human escapes from it, ask any criminal. It crosses borders, speaks in any Earth's lingo and mingles within every culture.

It takes its time, and at times....it does not attack the culprit, but on ones they love, looking like coincidences, but they are....... not, so that they may know and learn the suffering of others whom they had harmed, leaving a life with nothing left to live for but immense pain, suffering and sorrow...
edit on 2-6-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join