It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bushcraft On Fire Radio 05/31/2012 : #56. Prepare Your Pack and MORE Budget Bushcrafting!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/ac4fabaca0.jpg[/atsimg]

Thursday, 05/31/2012 at 8:00PM EST

illustrial.net
If Illustrial does not work click:::
ATS Direct

[color=#f9eb03]Or click on the image above

The gathered panel of hosts include Military Veterans, Mountain Men and just plain old Hillbillies with a combined experience in Survival of over 100 years!!!!!

Your Panel

JacKatMtn
Semperfortis
David Wendell
Ahabstar
Luke
Bear Truth
Ryan
Michael
And TheRedneck Doug

Preparing Packs and MORE Bushcrafting on a Budget!!!

PLUS.. [color=#f90320]Vital Directions with Ryan, [color=#0a94ff]Gardening With Laura, [color=#27ff0a]Plants With Luke and [color=#f60aff]Off The Grid with Doug!!

So TUNE IN THURSDAY @ 8:00PM EASTERN via illustrial.net and give us a listen while you learn and expand your knowledge along the way. And if you have not checked out our Bush Craft On Fire YouTube Channel, stop by and watch the videos we have up. Be sure to leave comments, hit the like button or subscribe as you feel is appropriate.

Don't forget to go visit the NEW Bushcraftonfire Website where you can listen to our past shows, take a Survival quiz and much more!!!!

OH YEAH! While you listen, come on the Facebook Page and post your questions, thoughts and comments, or just follow the survival conversation.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

If you have trouble hearing the show on the above links, tune in to the Low Bandwidth here HERE
edit on 5/31/2012 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Thanks ATS Survival crew. It was more than 35 or close to 40 years ago a friend picked up a book called Bushcraft. After this much time I don't recall the author's name but it was interesting with handy enough tips I bought my own copy. Soon afterwards our gang of young unemployed beach bums made our way out to the river bottom for some bushcraft exercises and camping for a few days.

Our main objective that trip was to build shelter armed with our knives and a ball of twine. We used the plentiful bamboo-like hollow reed growing there to fashion our own Gilligan's Island style thatched hut. Our camp was so home-like and befitting our bohemian lifestyle we hated to leave it, but returning to convenient packaged food and beer overcame our desire to continue "roughing it."

That hollow reed has plenty of uses but that first evening I discovered I was able to make a very playable flute with it which became my pasttime for that trip and for long afterwards. The home made flute became a sort of local calling card for me as I would trip along the beaches in the evening dropping in by any bonfire I spotted, sometimes with a guitar-toting friend where we would entertain for beer and other handouts until our hosts tired of us or the fire burned low. The Carradine family and the younger sons lived nearby. Though I didn't know them personally or would have recognized them then I later suspected my reed flutes filtered up to the attention of big-brother David and I may have partly inspired his flute-playing character in Kung Fu. Hey, the timing and location made that quite possible and likely.

Recently I have been looking for some white gas camping equipment which now seems to have become a rarity and not yet located here in Mexico where I have made my retirement home. Having retired in my early 50's my pension is not very large so budget bushcrafting while now in that very late decade of my life is intriguing - though the very nature of bushcrafting in its nitty-gritty is to be able to do so, with style, on no budget and with rudimental tools.

Good old-fashioned toilet paper easily can make a nice long-burning, low-flame fire for cooking - the result somewhat like can of sterno. Loosely wrap the paper around your hand with a number of turns, slide it off and tuck the ends in, then fluff it out a bit inside. You can light it inside and keep the flame contained and burning for quite a time, long enough to cook something. You can even snuff it out with your cooking pot and re-light it if desired.

I'll be looking forward to listening to the show and picking up some tips and wisdom from you ATS survival experts. Thanks again for airing your show. Good stuff!

edit on 31-5-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

Eron, thank you for sharing that story. I can clearly picture you with your reed flute, I actually have seen wandering minstrels on the beaches of California, having lived in Laguna Beach for a time.

As far as survival techniques, there really is no limit to what can be useful in any given circumstance. For instance, the toilet paper tip, for someone who has limited knowledge, that may be the one thing they remember in a pinch, that allows them to cook their food and purify their water.

The Bushcraftonfire Radio is all about bringing forth facts and experiences to show survival is not only possible, it is practiced everyday by ordinary people around the world. Once people realize this is not just a fad, but, in reality, a tool you can draw upon at any time, I believe the value of this knowledge will shine through. BT

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thanks guys, great info!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Less than an hour til we go LIVE with this week's episode!!

We certainly hope that you can tune in, and don't forget the low bandwidth option for those who aren't fortunate to have those newfangled high speed connections.

Link to low bandwidth is ^^^ in the OP

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
My favorite thing and most important
to me about the bushcraft site
is under media, with the recorded radio
shows, and BOF tv videos..

It is difficult to remember
all the information when the show is live,
so being able to go back over the show
really helps catching the things you missed.

It doesn't have to be for some extreme
earth ending event or shtf scenario, the information
is good for preparing for local natural disasters such
as flood, earthquakes, hurricanes, and blizzards.
Which happen almost every year right here in America.
Good camping advice, tips, and sometimes you can
learn about a product you never even heard of that
can help you out in a pinch.

edit on 31-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
waimakariri.govt.nz...

On the show tonite, Luke will be discussing Standard Operating Procedures for the New Zealand Civil Defense. Refer to the link if you would like to review this info in more depth. BT

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
In today show I will be introducing the listener to a Civil Defence Sector Post team is. Here is the handbook I will be referring to. If someone wants to set up a community group in there area this could help to be the basis for. The international listener will need to work with FEMA or some other local agency, if you can or want to.

top topics

join