It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The truth about the Roman Empire

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Ah, but that is my point sir. He did not only do those things. He was instumental in creating what later became the State Church. To say that he only legalised Christianity is no more correct than saying he made Christianity the official state religion.
edit on 1-6-2012 by wearewatchingyouman because: clarity

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by wearewatchingyouman

Ah, but that is my point sir. He did not only do those things. He was instumental in creating what later became the State Church. To say that he only legalised Christianity is no more correct than saying he made Christianity the official state religion.

I dont see how. One is a blatant falsehood. I hardly see how conveining a council to address a nasty heresy that was infesting the church a bad thing. The apostles called two councils to get on track and vote on issues of the church. (Acts 15 is an example of one of them) There was a big heresy forming in the church and the Niceaean council was called to vote on it. (Arian heresy) They also took that occasion to nail down a date for Easter. One thing that was upsetting is the Roman influence adopted two pagan holidays (Christmas and Easter) and infant baptism. That was something that I never would have agreed with.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

This is getting very circular... I understand your point... and by your statement that under the rule of Constantine Paganism and Christianity began to co-mingle I think you see mine.. Let's just agree to somewhat disagree...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

Ive never denied though that paganism didnt mingle with the faith under Rome. But the huge problem came when it was made the official religion of the Empire. Then the pagan priests just removed their amulets, donned crosses and continued to teach their pagan Babylonian religion just with a Christian flavor.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

True. I just don't think you give Constantine's rule enough credit for helping this along. I understand that this is neccesity for you because in doing so you must question much of what was deemed "orthodox" in this general time period. Once one admits that that power corrupted the Council of Nicea it creates a landslide.

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Empiror Constintine.... "Well if you can't beat em, join em, co-op em"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join