It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pastor sentenced to 2 years in prison for teaching spanking as discipline!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

My school principal threatened to spank me once.The rule in
our house,you get in trouble at school,you get in trouble at home.
This incident occured during the Kennedy administration!

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for correcting me. About the case. My bad for nothing reading the article.
Yes, I've swatted little hands to teach "hot" and swatted rear ends to get the message across not to go in the street or run away from me in a parking lot..

edit on 5/30/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by spyder550

I don't know. I don't think it is the dowel rod or spoon that is the problem, although i would never use a rod, I think the noise of a smack with the flat surface is more effective than the actual impact. Using a dowel would seem to be less dramatic, and more painful, with lasting bruises. I can't imagine using a dowel.

Still, regardless of the vehicle, the intentions behind the swat are the problem. It should be a learning tool to equate pain and natural consequences to some action. It shouldn't be a beating, it should just be a reminder to drive home a lesson. Using it on anyone less than 1 1/2 or 2 years old is stupid, and using it on someone older than 5 or 6 is stupid. Hitting them repeatedly is just torture, not teaching, and hitting them without a firm lecture, or lesson to illustrate cause and effect in a way they can comprehend is just assault.

I'm a fan of spanking, but not beating, not caning, not doing it to someone that can't even understand why, and not doing it to someone almost as big as myself. It has a very narrow window of opportunity to be effective.
I agree completely! Spanking is only fitting for the 2-6 year old range, and only then if previous warnings/requests (Like explaining to a child not to jump on the sofa because it could potentially hurt them and/or break the sofa.) go ignored. Then you can spank, and afterwards I'd even reiterate the hows and whys again without anger. In fact, do it all without anger.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlomaRa
When I see the statement.. "spare the rod, spoil the child" to me it means SPARE the rod. Do not use it. Anyway, I don't understand people who use this book to raise children. Too much up to interpretation.

I find it very interesting that you posted the above....because I have always interrupted the phase:

"spare the rod, spoil the child" to mean.....

(spare the rod) do not use the rod on your children

(spoil the child) give the child lots of love and gentle correction

Also...I think the punishment of the Preacher is excessive...I don't think he should be in prison. I think perhaps they should have given to him a lot of community service and asked him to apologize to his (former) congregation.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
There is much more to this than what was or could be prosecuted, it was like mind control almost. He enjoyed control and would point to a random bible verse and interpret it as whatever was conveinient for him to get everyone to obey him. It started fairly innocent but now the church has split familes and friends to the point where they can't even talk to each other. This was way more of a cult than it was a church.

He was my basketball coach, I went to school with his kids and i know a few people who left the church so I know just who screwed up this whole thing is/was.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlomaRa
When I see the statement.. "spare the rod, spoil the child" to me it means SPARE the rod. Do not use it. Anyway, I don't understand people who use this book to raise children. Too much up to interpretation.

I see you left out the spoil the child part. I have no problem with a person spanking their child. It's the people that beat their children that's the problem.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Six6Six

This post has been one of the saddest that I have read here.
I am speechless and can't find the words to describe how I
am feeling right now.

Don't feel too down...I held back what I really wanted to say so as not to breach the fragile rules on ATS.

And I am afraid I do not care how sad you feel for what I wrote as its my opinion. I do not support religious groups/ Cultish predators who support the idea that god/ Jesus mohammed allah etc is almighty.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

You have it wrong...I don't feel sadness for myself,
I feel sad for you.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Wow. What a diatribe. It certainly appears that you have not had to discipline any children in your family. Young kids do whatever they want coupled with a short attention span. Sometimes the kids need a spanking. Not hard, mind you, but to instill in them the impression that they did something wrong. For example, there was this one time when my two nieces would not listen when they were told to stay away from the road...because it was DANGEROUS. We did not want them to get hit by a car. After them repeatedly not listening to their instructions, they got spanked. It worked. They do not play by the road any longer.

This is just one typical example. I spank, as a last resort, for their safety and development. I refuse to let my families children grow into being a back-talking, rule or law breaking miscreant. That is exactly what you will get when the young ones are not properly disciplined to the dangers and realities of the world.

You are a lunatic for believing that disciplining children is terrorism. It can be a form of abuse if the parent gets off on inflicting pain. That is not my case. I want my nieces to grow into young adults that can take care of themselves and their future children. When they put themselves into dangerous, life threatening situations because they refuse to listen to those who know better than themselves, they get a light spank to teach them that what they are doing is not safe.

Anyhow, I am sure that I wasted my time. Your fanaticism in your belief will most likely never change. If or when you have kids...I hope they grow into respectful people fully aware of the dangers of life. I don't see that as likely, however, with your weak outlook on discipline.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Spanking has its good points and its bad points, I was spanked as a child for doing wrong and it never affected me in any way physically, psychologically or emotionally. It is a deterrent for more wrong doings in the future. That aside, Its society that judges a wrong doing and collectively creates laws to stop it, in my opinion, the world is not ready for a society that does not discipline in some way the wrong doers. Give it maybe another 100 years from now and we may have evolved into better humans. At this moment in time all we are creating is a generation who does not understand consequences to their actions.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
spanking to punish kids is messed up.

it is the act of a big and powerful bully forcing his/her power onto a smaller weaker individual to scare them into changing their mind and or behavior, to something more pleasing to the bullies standards.

This is a valid argument and way of viewing physical discipline. Where we all get caught up is applying an all-or-nothing approach to such a situation. Each child (I know because its noticeable after 2 times around that block) are different.

My oldest is crafty and a coy little bugger. A stiff hand when absolutely appropriate was given but never in malicious demeanor or anger. My youngest -- well -- lets say he needed none because he did it to himself (you know when dad says don't touch the bbq because its hot and sure enough 2 seconds later he gone burned himself).

So while the overall approach should never be to raise a hand to swat a child's bottom there are times warranted in my opinion.

and it doesn't stop there, cruel and unusual punishments are out of hand lately.

i knew this one guys friend, someone stole his phone, so his parents in turn took his computer away from him until he got the phone back.

how does that fix anything?

Oh my! How dare parents exact a punishment so "cruel and unusual"! Yes I am mocking you on this because if you think that is cruel and unusual than I say you had the good life. Where actions had no consequences

i don't like ALL of you, supporting spanking "oh it changed my life" your nothing but a bunch of masochistic submissive babies that enjoyed your parents bullying you all the time.

Did you just assess the psychology of random internet posters? You should take that show on the road with that talent.

parents can be very unfair people and use their children as scape goats all the time, i see it everywhere.

Yep like teaching a child that actions have consequences....your poor friend comes to mind.

imaging your 5 years old and your parents go to church one day, they come home and its just another happy boring day, and you make a mistake, or don't feel like eating all your spinach because you honestly just don't like spinach.

suddenly your parents start spanking you for no reason at all, causing you mental trauma and severe physical pain, just because some "supporter of discipline" told them it was a good idea to make your life harder.

Now I don't agree with the scenario here, but how can you say "for no reason at all" when you gave reason; albeit one that I would never condone for spanking a child for -- ever

any supporter of spanking, or cruel and unusual punishment is a TERRORIST.

Sign me up sans "cruel and unusual punishment" -- although your example is hardly cruel or unusual.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join