It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Egypts at it again!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Forgive me this is going to be a short post, but it seems things in Egypt are heating up again. Same as they did around this same time last year. Now was there a revolution in Egypt? Or would you say that the cards where stacked and could the same thing be happening here in America, though in a very different way?

Yes I think we all remember 2011 was a crazy year, especially for Egypt. And when the masses gathered in Tahrir Square it was all over the MSM. Yes, they told us it was a revolution. But was it? After all Mubarak did eventually give in and gave up. So now what?

Was there perhaps a term used in our own government called "continuity of government" which keeps the basic functions of government in tact all while the infrastructure is changed dramatically from within as if it has already been built and in the motions for years?

Was this a revolution, or signs of things to come?

www.rttnews.com... p

A group of protesters have attacked the campaign headquarters of Egyptian presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq in the capital, Cairo.

They set fire to an annex to the headquarters building in the Dokki district late on Monday, reports said, while Egyptian TV stations broadcast its footage.

The attackers also ransacked the building, allegedly taking campaign posters and computers from there, BBC reported.

No one was reportedly injured, as firefighters quickly put out the blaze, leaving damages to the building.

Police have arrested eight suspects near the headquarters.

Hundreds of protesters have been rallying around the building as well as the city's central Tahrir Square, scene of the protests which forced President Hosni Mubarak to quit in February last year.

They are protesting to manifest their frustration and anger over the official election results, which showed that Shafiq, who was the last Prime Minister of Mubarak and is viewed by many as a representative of the old regime, is still in the race to the presidency.

Egypt's election commission confirmed on Monday that Muslim Brotherhood's candidate Mohamed Morsi and Shafiq have qualified for the June 16 run-off that will see Egypt's first democratically elected President.

Sorry for the short post, but there is still a whole lot I don't understand about Egypt and it's current state of affairs. The MSM was all over it though. If it ever happens here in America, or something similar, coined as a revolution, will the MSM be blacked out on the US soil and broadcasted to the rest of the world. Would that really be a revolution, or something that has been predetermined with a nefarious cause?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
courtesy of The Great Googler:

rev·o·lu·tion/ˌrevəˈlo͞oSHən
Noun:

A forcible overthrow of a government or social order for a new system.

So technically, yes, it's a revolution.
HOWEVER... that's not to say that it's revolutionary. I realise that sounds contradictory, but going to a backwards, repressive 12th Century system of government (I'm looking at you, Muslim Brotherhood) can hardly be considered a step forward.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Good call.

So...one step forward and two steps back.

new topics

join