It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mysterious Socotra Island (Must See!)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Looks like the sand dwellers have already discovered it and are indeed exploiting it. Not so pristine after all.

Good luck visiting there and keeping your head on your shoulders,the muslims own it.

Socotra Islands form part of the Yemen republic and are located about 350 kilometers south of the Arabian Peninsula. Covering a land area of 3,650 square kilometers, and populated mainly by Muslims, Socotra comprises the administrative districts of Hadibo and Qalansiya, which also include the islands of Abdul Kuri, Darsa and Samhah. Hadibo is the administrative capital of Socotra where most people have settled down.

www.tropicalparadise.net...
edit on 29-5-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by OrionHunterX

STOP TELLING PEOPLE THIS PLACE EXISTS!!

a bunch of fat toxic sunscreen wearing mcdonalds eating greedy sheep are going to FLOCK there and ruin it with tourism!

everyone keeps posting this everywhere!

"oh look LOOK HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS!!"

10 years later:

once a beautiful place, now a wasteland full of waterparks and hotels, one of the last refuges of preserved nature now destroyed, looking like every other vacation resort.

milked DRY of its beauty and purity.
edit on 28-5-2012 by SoymilkAlaska because: (no reason given)

Americans are too broke fat and lazy to fly to Africa to see tree's. They want their entertainments fast and cheap. Im guessing the island does not have an international airport or even a light craft landing strip. Cant see 150kg americans in a rowing boat flying half way around the world to check out the cool trees there. Worst case scenario they uproot the trees completely and rape the island.

Just ad it to the list of stuff we have ruined if it does get exploited.

Cool trees but.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I just said on my post before yours that it would be great to wonder around there without a care..... would be great if this Island was left alone and no-one laid claim to it....

It looks like part of Yemen or is part of Yemen and people do live on this Island!!

Its a shame!!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
Looks like the sand dwellers have already discovered it and are indeed exploiting it. Not so pristine after all.

Good luck visiting there and keeping your head on your shoulders,the muslims own it.

Socotra Islands form part of the Yemen republic and are located about 350 kilometers south of the Arabian Peninsula. Covering a land area of 3,650 square kilometers, and populated mainly by Muslims, Socotra comprises the administrative districts of Hadibo and Qalansiya, which also include the islands of Abdul Kuri, Darsa and Samhah. Hadibo is the administrative capital of Socotra where most people have settled down.

www.tropicalparadise.net...
edit on 29-5-2012 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

yeah nothing racist about these comments

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by Thunderheart

I just said on my post before yours that it would be great to wonder around there without a care..... would be great if this Island was left alone and no-one laid claim to it....

It looks like part of Yemen or is part of Yemen and people do live on this Island!!

Its a shame!!

Its a shame that people live there or its a shame MUSLIMS live there......because every other race has done such a god dam bang up job of looking after the planet havent they???? oil spills in the gulf oceans and deforestation of the amazon and a billion other atrocities done to this planet by westerners come to mind....Oh but thats ok because they are white...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
Oh but thats ok because they are white...

At least we agree on something.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I know you laughed at the end of your post but i didnt mention anything about 'Muslims'.... I just wanted to visit a place which I thought was uninhabited!!!
edit on 29-5-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Too late folks, Obama has ordered a massive military build up in that area and this island is one of them.

Military Build Up

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by lucifuge

Oh great!!

I hate this place sometimes.....

This land was created freely for everyone and then you get all these different groups, factions, armies etc etc grabbing what they can and laying claim to it....

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Thanks for posting this... Looks like a scene from "Lost in Space" :-) I'm saving this link !

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The plants and trees look like corals that adapted to land. Somehow i cannot help but thinking they are related.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucifuge
Too late folks, Obama has ordered a massive military build up in that area and this island is one of them.

Military Build Up
Good news! it will help keep those radical muslims in check.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Americans are too broke fat and lazy to fly to Africa to see tree's. They want their entertainments fast and cheap. Im guessing the island does not have an international airport or even a light craft landing strip. Cant see 150kg americans in a rowing boat flying half way around the world to check out the cool trees there. Worst case scenario they uproot the trees completely and rape the island.

Cool trees but.

The rampant anti-American hatred on this site gets tiresome, honestly. Painting everyone with a broad rush. All Americans are fat, lazy and eat at McDs, right?

I scuba dive - all the folks I dive with are all very respective of nature, and the ocean. They know better than to pluck things and take them along. They care for the environment. They are not all "fat and lazy." And many people I work with are the same. Stop stereotyping, it is old. If you think all other countries are "better" than America, go move there for crying out loud. Not only will you see that that's not the case, but you'll probably be back. I've seen it more than once. Someone moves away to see the world.. and go to a place where it's not full of fat, lazy greedy people.. and they return, realizing it wasn't so bad here after all. There are a few special places on this planet I would not mind living, where the people are genuine, and their daily lives are simple.

But if you would take the time to look around, you'd realize there are places like that right here at home, too. Open your eyes.

P.S. I remember seeing that island and its trees a long while back on some show. Pretty amazing - and honestly not all THAT harsh, I think 80 deg is around normal, sometimes much less.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

a bunch of fat toxic sunscreen wearing mcdonalds eating greedy sheep are going to FLOCK there and ruin it with tourism!

10 years later:

once a beautiful place, now a wasteland full of waterparks and hotels, one of the last refuges of preserved nature now destroyed, looking like every other vacation resort.

Cool trees but.

As a writer you don't do much reading do you?
As far as Americans/Westerners visiting Africa is concerned, tourism statistics show NORTH AMERICA is the second largest group of international arrivals to Africa... second only to Europe in its entirety.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Star for logic

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Most likely fat, lazy, greedy Americans won't destroy this place it will be the fat, greedy Yemeni government who sells them out to the oil industry. Imo that will do them in quicker than a bunch of McDonald's eating Americans.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The only surviving piece of the place once known as the Garden of Eden.

Genesis 2-3 locates the garden with reference to four rivers and the regions they flow through:
Now a river flowed out of Eden to water the garden; and from there it divided and became four rivers. The name of the first is Pishon; it flows around the whole land of Havilah, where there is gold.[...] The name of the second river is Gihon; it flows around the whole land of Cush. The name of the third river is Tigris; it flows east of Assyria And the fourth river is the Euphrates.
"Kush" is often incorrectly translated as Ethiopia, which was also known as Cush, but in this case thought to be referring to Cossaea, a Greek name for Elam, immediately to the east of ancient Babylon, which, unlike Ethiopia, does lie within the region being described.[7]

Source: en.wikipedia.org...

Well maybe not, but close enough

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by majesticgent

it had to have been destroyed by the deluge, no? I wonder how old some of those trees are...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

10 years later:

True. OP is damn too naive about this issue...

Yet he/she even dares using an "Avatar" rhetoric/imagery. Well, sir/ma'am: poetically, the tragedy of Avatar will end up as the bottom line of the very same promotion you're doing here!

What stayed a secret from this devastating civilization should STAY a secret as long as it can!

Please unflag or don't flag this thread. Don't be stupid, don't let it live. Do it for the sake of life on that island!
edit on 29/5/12 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This could All be too late for this island.

The below Link indicates how it is one of two strategic locations for military bases.

www.pacificrimcoins.com...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

Sorry but this place probably hasn't been much of a secret for some time.

I read their population is around 40,000. The number of people in my county in southern Colorado is about 7500 inhabiting 1,593 sq miles. My area is probably more of a secret than Socotra and equally as beautiful. It's not tourism that's ruining my neck of the woods it's Shell and fracking.

Yemen sure knows it's there and suspects oil is there too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join