It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greatest idea ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I know some people have concerns about corporations owning space and there not being any future for us middleclass citizens in the cosmos. So i just came up with the most brilliant idea in the history of mankind apart from flying to the moon. What if we got about a billion people world wide to donate 5 dollars a month to a publicly accessible space program. it would be the most well funded space program in the world and help make space accessible to everyone. an international thing like this is entirely possible and wont put strain on peoples money

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
While it is a good idea Spaceboy97, it is very simplistic. How many times has someone said lets all donate $5 to eradicate poverty? A lot more times than a call to venture to space with everyone's money that's for sure.

It would never happen, because humanity would not be able to collectively come together for the greater good of us all, at least not yet....and if we did, there are more pressing matters on the list.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceBoy97

what about working a little harder, studying a little more, and trying to be more than middle class.. Then try and get 999,999,999 other people to donate money monthly to an organisation that will just end up as corrupt as any other institute...? Just saying. Once you make there, then help other rank up.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FermiFlux
While it is a good idea Spaceboy97, it is very simplistic. How many times has someone said lets all donate $5 to eradicate poverty? A lot more times than a call to venture to space with everyone's money that's for sure.

It would never happen, because humanity would not be able to collectively come together for the greater good of us all, at least not yet....and if we did, there are more pressing matters on the list.

sadly your right. if only people wern't so god dam greedy

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

thing is not everybody's rich and lots of people in school nowadays are working harder because the economic situation is getting tougher. people are realising that better education = bigger bucks
edit on 27/5/2012 by SpaceBoy97 because: more info required

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

its not about being rich. Money is irrelevant to knowledge and skill and know how.. You dont need money to pick up a book. You dont need money to become more skillful. Teach yourself. Then its a matter of showing or proving your knowledge or skill, once you acquire it that is. Thats what a degree is all about.. And I suppose money is needed for that, but that doesnt mean you cant get somewhere without it. If you are smart enough, and skilled enough, they'll want you. "they'll" = whomever has the money

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

back to the subject. if there was something like this would you donate?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
more resources = price falls
price falls = better economic situation
better economic situation = less poverty

there is more minerals in the asteroid belt and 3 earths and space travel is going to get us there
edit on 27/5/2012 by SpaceBoy97 because: word missing

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

well, like the first response said.. I think it could be bettr used for providing people with food or housing. I had an idea like this before, and it was convincing people to put the money they spend on lottery into a community fund and helping out locally. But I suppose, if you got 1 million people to sign up, yeah.. Ill probably donate, atleast once.... But then again, what would that do for me? Ill still never get to space. There will still be some filtration of the information, and eventually corruption.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

not when the donators decide the initiatives interest and members would be contributing to a future where space travel is accessible to all. that would be a primary goal. there could also be learning oportunitys. imagine sending the brightest fifteen year old sciece students worldwide to the moon, then mars, etc until theyve seen the solar system up close. and those kids would not pay a penny. mobile homes in earth orbit. a space assisted array using satelites in space and on the surface to scan the cosmos. wouldnt that be epic?

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

dont count your chickens before they hatch. You havent even started this program. You cant go jumping to mobile homes in space. First of all, you say the contributors make the decisions of how the money is spent. Ok, well, you want a billion donors, and so a billion says.. So when no one agress? Groups inside this overwhelming program? So then you have segmented the whole thing.. Then what? You still have to make decisions.. So eventually you would... "elect" people to make the decisions.. And thus corruption soon after.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You are better off writing an extensive business plan to public space travel and or exploration. Detail what you would want to do, how much money it would cost, and what you hope or plan to accomplish. Then posting all of this business plan online or send it to venture capitalists, and ask for donattions or funding to accomplish such a business model.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceBoy97

thing is not everybody's rich and lots of people in school nowadays are working harder because the economic situation is getting tougher. people are realising that better education = bigger bucks
edit on 27/5/2012 by SpaceBoy97 because: more info required

Not always true. Better education = bigger student loans and still no jobs when you're done because most people won't work their way through university any more.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

when this happens there will be a preferential vote voluntarily taken by all donators within the general public. sort of like voting in australia. this will ensure that no corruption will take place. this initiative and its members will not be able to change this in any way and representatives of a democratic government would oversee the whole thing. but this will be hopefully avoided because there will be polls on the website. but trust me, when the resources non renewable resources on earth run out mankind will look to space for the answer. corporations will own the stars. but something like this in these times will give the average joes like you and me and the good people of ats and others hope that they can have a stake in space. out there the resources are vertually unlimiteo wanted and highly valuable. there is an entire planet of daimond out there and if something like this were to find it and it werent corrupt as you say it will become then guess who will benefit. the greedy pigs on their thrones around an oval shaped table high in the sky looking down on us like dirt???? Or the people who supported this initiative in the first place the people who got the initiative where they will be in the future if this goes through??????

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

trust me mate. im guessing its been a while sinc you've been in school. teens like me are studying harder because our entire futures depend on it. you may think australia is lazy because we wont clean toilets, but i can tell you now that people who would otherwise be doing just that are in school studying and feeling stressed and tired from countless hours of study. thats what my country is doing and im guessing that most other countrys are as well

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

seriously we are getting way off topic here. we're discussing the greatest idea ever that is getting better and better with every question and suggestion.

top topics

join