It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cookie law set to come into force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
"UK firms have had 12 months to prepare for the change and the ICO has spent much of that time reminding businesses about their obligations."

This law went in to effect yestarday for the U.K..The new law dictates how websites can use cookies, and that it must receive informed consent from the user before they record any detail information in the cookies they store on visitors computers.

bbc.com

The regulations say websites must get "informed consent" from users before they record any detailed information in the cookies they store on visitors' computers.

Among websites that have complied with the law, getting consent has involved a pop-up box that explains the changes. Users are then asked to click to consent to having information recorded and told what will happen if they refuse.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I decided long ago that a user that accepts cookies on their pc, accepts the risks involved, or does not know the risks.
I for one have a fine Internet experience without outside influence or tracking.

For a good time just use firefox with adblock and ghostery.

The Cookie law should help the elderly users with less savy surf habits.
Ima go eat a cookie.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Ahhh , that explains why i got a big sign asking for permission to store cookies when i went on the channel 4 website the other day.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Correct me, but this means if you use pop-up blockers, you are not aware of it when it opens to ask you. So if you ignore it / your Blocker blocks it, you uninviteable agree with whatever is asked?

What about bugs? If they use sort of Java/Flash I deactivated?

edit on 28-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I was legitimately worried for a few seconds that the UK was going to ban cookies (om nom nom cookies) for some reason. I am relieved this is not the case. Seems like a good idea to have companies be more up front about their tracking habits. I'm all for it.

top topics

join