It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Purported 5th century Barnabas Gospel to shake foundations of Christianity?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

The text, written on animal hide, is thought to be an authentic version of the Gospel of Barnabas, one of Jesus's disciples

'Laughable' Iranian report claims the book states that Jesus was never crucified and He predicted the coming of the Prophet Muhammad

It was discovered by Turkish authorities in 2000 during an anti-smuggling operation

The Vatican has made an official request to view the text

These are the main points made in the article.

Turkish authorities believe it could be an authentic version of the Gospel by Jesus's disciple Barnabas, and the Iranian press report has claimed that its contents will trigger Christianity's downfall by proving that Islam is the final and righteous religion. Others have dismissed the Iranian claims as 'laughable' anti-Christian propaganda. The Basij Press claims the text was written in the 5th or 6th century and it predicted the coming of the Prophet Muhammad and the religion of Islam. It says the Christian world denies the existence of such a gospel.

The book found is pictured above.

The disciple Barnabas is pictured below.

Basij claims that Chapter 41 of the Gospel reads: 'God has hidden himself as Archangel Michael ran them (Adam and Eve) out of heaven, (and) when Adam turned, he noticed that at top of the gateway to heaven, it was written "La elah ela Allah, Mohamad rasool Allah",' meaning Allah is the only God and Mohammad his prophet.

I can´t add much on this article since i´m not really a believer, kind of an agnostic guy.
But what i´ve always said, and maybe some people will attack me for this, if there is a religion that is true, it´s the Islam.

Recently came in contact with a guy from Jordan, named Eyad, me and him started talking a lot about religion.
He is a muslim and how cleared up a lot of the misconceptions i had about the Islam and Muslims in general.

I thought this was an interesting find and wanted to bring this up for discussion purposes.

This how the turkish authorities came into possesion of this text

Turkish authorities seized the text in 2000 in a crackdown on a gang who were charged with smuggling antiquities, illegal excavations and the possession of explosives. Read more:

The Basij report suggests that the discovery is so immense that it will shake world politics. 'The discovery of the original Barnabas Bible will now undermine the Christian Church and its authority and will revolutionize the religion in the world,” it states.

'The most significant fact, though, is that this Bible has predicted the coming of Prophet Mohammad and in itself has verified the religion of Islam.'

I know religion is a touchy subject, so i´d like to ask you all to keep this discussion civil.
let´s not take stabs at another mans beliefs and let us not get into personal attacks.

Thanks in advance!

So what do you think?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Large discussion on this subject going on here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If they use the specific terms "Allah" and "Muhammed", I'd say this was likely written after the rise of Islam. It's like when they find "prophetic" works that end up having been written a long time after the events they predict. It is always the case for anything that is that specific. The "Turkish authorities" have been increasingly pro-Islam as opposed to the more secular government of the mid-late 20th century. I'd say they just might be biased.

For full disclosure sake, I am a non-practicing Catholic, who thinks that other than the spiritual and communal aspects, religion is a bit of a sham. Basing my opinion on similar "prophetic" finds from multiple religions.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
There is a blatant war on Islam going on. Most of the Islams that are causing trouble and terrorizing are working for Crooks.In.Action. The question is why are they waging war on Islam? This article baked my noodle a bit.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by _BoneZ_
Large discussion on this subject going on here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

thanks!

i'm really on a roll lately.

alerted the mods

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
This has been covered on ATS a few times already. Here is the original. The "Gospel" of Barnabas is a fake. The EPISTLE of Barnabas clears the name of Barnabas as a full throttle Christian who believed in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. No doubts about the truth.

THREAD

Epistle of Barnabas

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
this is the fourth thread on a 5th 6th century (maybe fake) scroll that was created during the era of islam

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

The Epistle of Barnabas is a Gnostic text not written in the first century. This is nothing new to scholars.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Isn't it interesting how the Apocryphal texts embelish our reality with concepts the Vatican hates?God is a greater being than any can possibly conceive yet here we are killing each other by our own judgement of who he loves more,and who's culture insults him, even though WE ARE TOLD TO LOVE EACH OTHER unconditionally.The saying "If it feels good do it" not used as a decadent statement but as a moral compass has worked for me quite well.I have always felt the true scripture is hidden from us,damned if I know why I feel that way.

new topics

top topics

join