It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greece May Deploy Military And Close Borders

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This policy is a madness .

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
They have made it obvious that the greek country and people are slaves to the EU.
the EU is being used to take over ever thing america has not taken.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Some one tell Germanicus to get to Greece.How soon will they start fighting, can I bring my own guns?
Where is my bayonet dang it? Does Greece have a foreign legion?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MI5edtoDeath

I agree with basically everything you said.
Just because one is naturally sorry for the many individual tragedies that this situation has prompted and will prompt in the near future - and just because the current fiscal and monetary systems are far from perfect - it doesn't mean that they are somehow blameless victims.

Like others have pointed out, they deliberately misrepresented - forged - their financial records in order to get into the EU.
They did that for a reason - a couple of reasons - without thinking of the future, either theirs or that of the other EU citizens. (I won't even mention the normal legal implications of such an outrageously far-reaching falsification.)

Turning a blind eye to the many intrinsic faults of the Greek economy - and, let's be blunt, their predominant work ethos - and commiserating them as "victims" of the nasty ogre, the EU, is helping no one.

Seeing them clearly and acknowledging them, on the other hand, might help, both the Greks (in the long run) and others, as a cautionary tale.

edit on 26-5-2012 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies
What's most remarkable to me is the fact that Greece misrepresented their economic data in order to be accepted into the EU.

The EU freely admits this to be the case.

But despite Greece lying to get into the club, the club are doing everything they can to keep them as a member.

For strategic reasons, not (just) monetary.
There are certain factors that few are discussing as openly as they should be discussed.
One of them - only one - is the "cultural" proximity with Russia, based - traditionally (but this is a country where tradition still carries considerable weight) - on religious grounds.
It's a long and complicated tale.

And yes, there is also Turkey, with all the baggage that entails...
Another long and complicated tale.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The Greek military junta of 1967–1974, alternatively "The Regime of the Colonels" (Greek: Το καθεστώς των Συνταγματαρχών, To kathestos ton Syntagmatarhon), or in Greece "The Junta", (English pronunciation: /ˈdʒʌntə/ or /ˈhʊntə/; Greek Χούντα, [ˈxuda]) and "The Seven Years" (Greek: Η Επταετία, I eptaetía) are terms used to refer to a series of right-wing military governments that ruled Greece following a coup d'état led by a group of colonels on 21 April 1967. Military rule ended in July 1974.

On 21 April 1967, (just weeks before the scheduled elections), a group of right-wing army officers led by Brigadier General Stylianos Pattakos and Colonels George Papadopoulos and Nikolaos Makarezos seized power in a coup d'etat.[14] The colonels were able to quickly seize power by using surprise and confusion. Pattakos was commander of the Armour Training Centre (Greek: Κέντρο Εκπαίδευσης Τεθωρακισμένων, ΚΕΤΘ), based in Athens. The coup leaders placed tanks in strategic positions in Athens, effectively gaining complete control of the city. At the same time, a large number of small mobile units were dispatched to arrest leading politicians and authority figures, as well as many ordinary citizens suspected of left-wing sympathies, according to lists prepared in advance. One of the first to be arrested was Lieutenant General Grigorios Spandidakis, Commander-in-Chief of the Greek Army.

The conspirators were known to Spandidakis. Indeed, he was instrumental in bringing some of them to Athens, to use in a coup he and other leading Army generals had been planning, in an attempt to prevent George Papandreou's victory in the upcoming election and the Communist takeover that would, supposedly, follow it. The colonels succeeded in persuading Spandidakis to join them and he issued orders activating an action plan (the "Prometheus" plan) that had been previously drafted as a response for a hypothetical Communist uprising (see Operation Gladio). Under the command of paratrooper Lieutenant Colonel Kostas Aslanides, the LOK (see above) took control of the Greek Defence Ministry while Brigadier General Stylianos Pattakos gained control over communication centers, the parliament, the royal palace, and according to detailed lists, arrested over 10,000 people.

By the early morning hours the whole of Greece was in the hands of the colonels. All leading politicians, including acting Prime Minister Panagiotis Kanellopoulos, had been arrested and were held incommunicado by the conspirators. At 6 a.m. on the day of the coup Papadopoulos announced that eleven articles of the Greek constitution were suspended.[15]

One of the consequences of Papadopoulos' annulment of the eleven key articles of the Greek Constitution was that anyone could be arrested without warrant at any time and brought before a military court to be tried. Yannis Ladas the then director of ESA in an interview referring to the coup said: "Within twenty minutes every politician, every man, every anarchist who was listed could be rounded up... It was a simple, diabolical plan".[15]

Georgios Papandreou was arrested after a nighttime raid at his villa in Kastri. Andreas Papandreou was arrested at around the same time after seven soldiers with fixed bayonets and one with a machine gun forcibly entered his home. Andreas Papandreou escaped to the roof of his house but surrendered after one of the soldiers held a gun to the head of his then 14-year old son George Papandreou.[15] Gust Avrakotos, a high ranking CIA officer in Greece who was close with the colonels who lead the coup, advised them regarding Andreas: "shoot the mother#er because he's going to come back to haunt you".[2]

U.S. critics of the coup included then senator Lee Metcalf who criticised the Johnson administration for providing aid to a "military regime of collaborators and Nazi sympathisers". Phillips Talbot, the US ambassador in Athens, disapproved of the military coup, complaining that it represented "A rape of democracy", to which Jack Maury, the CIA chief of station in Athens, answered, "How can you rape a whore?"[15]

source:

en.wikipedia.org...

Will History repeat itself?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdAstra

I agree with basically everything you said.
Just because one is naturally sorry for the many individual tragedies that this situation has prompted and will prompt in the near future - and just because the current fiscal and monetary systems are far from perfect - it doesn't mean that they are somehow blameless victims.

Like others have pointed out, they deliberately misrepresented - forged - their financial records in order to get into the EU.
They did that for a reason - a couple of reasons - without thinking of the future, either theirs or that of the other EU citizens. (I won't even mention the normal legal implications of such an outrageously far-reaching falsification.)

Turning a blind eye to the many intrinsic faults of the Greek economy - and, let's be blunt, their predominant work ethos - and commiserating them as "victims" of the nasty ogre, the EU, is helping no one.

Seeing them clearly and acknowledging them, on the other hand, might help, both the Greks (in the long run) and others, as a cautionary tale.

Thanks for your comment.

The Greeks cannot be helped. The German government agreed to bail their whole country out, the IMF was ready to give them loans for financial reconstruction and all the Greeks needed to do was have a few years of austerity, maybe five years tops. They also needed to moderate their welfare state and put it in line with France, Britain and Germany, efficiently collect taxes and arrest tax evaders. What did the Greeks? They rioted.

When their riots did not help them, they started goosestepping like broke ass Nazis attacking black people in the street.

I do not want Britain to give Greece 1 penny of our taxes and the government must stop Greeks from coming to UK instead of rebuilding their country. Greece is not a war torn third world country so there are no excuses.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Tax payer backed bonds. Why should they pay for them?

All the stuff you go on with is conservative rubbish. Tax payer backed bonds is how they got into so much trouble.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Are they not the same ,,fellows,,who said,,"that they would mine",, GREEK Harbours.?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Germanicus

All the stuff you go on with is conservative rubbish. Tax payer backed bonds is how they got into so much trouble.

Actually I am a social democrat and what angers me is how the Greeks were careless with their country. Even now the Greeks are dodging their taxes.

They are like children throwing tantrums. No one can help them and Britain should not carry the can for them. The Greeks nearly wrecked the EU and this is unforgivable. Had they accepted the austerity, after a couple of years I would have been in favour of Britain pumping in a few billion into their economy to help out.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

"How can you rape a whore?"
And so began
the Battle of TROY.,,
For ,,,Helena Troy,,, was many things too ,,King ,,,etccc

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theGreatunhosed
Europe is controlled by germany again, we all know what happened last time that was the case.

Well, no, we don't. I am not sure what you mean by that, but if you mean WW II, by any chance, it didn't incubate bcause Germany was too strong, it was the opposite - because it was treated like a pariah and made to pay ridiculous reparations that broke the economy, caused astronomic inflation, unemployment and other concomitant goodies, until people could not bear it anymore.

Of course there are different ways to react to a situation like that. Strictly economically speaking, Germany's was to reorganize everything and work harder than ever. Nobody bailed them out.

The social and psychological consequences of the post-WW I disaster that led to WW II are a different story.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Yes.
Capitalist Democracy is bs. They form parties to argue with each other. What has congress passed lately? Its all a scam to make a public feel that it has no power. They tell us what can and cannot be done. That is wrong. A dictator is the only way that we can get things done that the public wants.
edit on 26-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

Democratic capitalism, also known as capitalist democracy, is a political, economic, and social system and ideology based on a tripartite arrangement of a market-based economy based predominantly on a democratic polity, economic incentives through free markets, fiscal responsibility and a liberal moral-cultural system which encourages pluralism.[1]

[2] This economic system supports a capitalist free market economy subject to control by a democratic political system that is supported by the majority. It stands in contrast to authoritarian capitalism by limiting the influence of special interest groups, including corporate lobbyists, on politics.

Yes this is crap but if you have a dictator who appoints his "friends" to certain position you and then screws you...that sounds like Congress...

The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union a Republican Form of Government, [...] This clause, sometimes referred to as the Guarantee Clause, has historically been a part of the debate about the rights of citizens vis-a-vis state governments. The Guarantee Clause mandates that all U.S. states must be grounded in republican principles, such as consent of the governed.

A republic is a form of government in which the government is officially apportioned to the control of the people and thus a "public matter"

We are not even using our intended form of government. And you wanna run off to a new form? How bout we go back to our republic form and enforce The Constitution of the United States

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."-Thomas Jefferson

All forms of government can be corrupted. Accept some of the blame of the corruption in government because you have been fine with it for it to go on this long. Removing one guy with absolute power is a lot harder than removing a few hundred with limited power.
I personally Greece would be better off leaving the Euro this fiat currency isn't working out it putting people in the mindset of spend spend spend.

edit on 26-5-2012 by txraised254 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So are we about to see the birthplace of democracy turn into...
the 4th Reich? How ironic.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

You can look for the Banksters to get tired of trying to cram poverty down our throats instead they will collapse the entire world economies and all social programs and governments will fail thats one of their goals . There would be a large loss of life ( one of there goals ) and we would be compelled to accept anything the Banksters might offer . Greece could be the turning point for their plan of attack . I believe there were 2 plans according to Daniel Estulen , one would be quick and painful ( for them deadly for us ) the other would be a long drawn out plan where they would not have a total economy shut down and they would lose money .

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

The images you posted are very scary and very sad the man in the photo is agaisnt immigration, but in my hoesnt opinion the immigrants arent the source of the problems the elites are.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat
So are we about to see the birthplace of democracy turn into...
the 4th Reich? How ironic.

I hope not Greece wont turn into a 4th Reich thats the last thing they need.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath
The Greeks asked for their financial disaster and they deserve it.

The retirement in Greece is 55 years and as part of the austerity measure, it has agreed to raise it to 63 years. In the UK, I will be retiring at aged 67.

I have 28 day annual and statutory vacation, the Greeks have up to 38 days a year.

The Greek government lied to get into the Euro ERM and did not discloses their national indebtedness.

www.spiegel.de/international/europe/german-chancellor-on-the-offensive-merkel-blasts-greece-over-retirement-age-vacation-a-763294.htm[/ur l]

November 2004: Greece effectively admits it lied to get into the euro. The government admits its deficit has not been below 3pc since 1999, as EU rules require

=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/8580720/Timeline-of-a-crisis-how-Greeces-tragedy-unfolded.html

Tax evasion is a Greek national sport and the government borrows enormous amounts to pay the pensions they can't afford and the fat government salaries.

Greece is a fairly small country, but for the past year it has been causing an awfully big uproar. Burdened by a pile of government debt that could force it into default (and the European banking system into a meltdown), Greece has had to adopt ever more stringent austerity plans in order to secure a bailout from the European Union. Explanations of how Greece got in this mess typically focus on profligate public spending. But its fiscal woes are also due to a simple fact: tax evasion is the national pastime.
[url=http://] www.newyorker.com...

Greeks love their fat watches and their German cars but hate working like a Trojan to get those toys.

IMF head Lagarde: Tax-shy Greeks 'must help themselves'

IMF head Christine Lagarde has urged Greeks to pay taxes, saying she worries more about the plight of children in sub-Saharan Africa than the people of the crisis-hit European nation.

In an interview with the Guardian newspaper, Ms Lagarde suggested it was payback time for Greece.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Kick the Greeks out of the Euro, stop them from migrating into the more dynamic economies and let them sort out their own problem. This is nothing to do with the banking fiasco of 2008. It is about credit drying up and Greeks stuck holding their bag.

Because so many Greek millionaires are jumping ship, the prices of million dollar houses in London are going through the roof. The Greek millionaires are bugging out of Greece to avoid the austerity taxes.
edit on 26-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2012 by MI5edtoDeath because: (no reason given)

I am From greece and i want to clean up the lies that MI5edtoDeath writes (excuse my english)

1:My Mother works as a teacher and she is 55 years old.She needs another 10 years to retire.Where MI5edtoDeath found that greeks retire at 55 is beyond my knowledge.

2:Yes greek goverment lied to get into the euro zone but europe (who KNEW about these fake information did NOTHING (i wonder why)

3:Yes Tax evasion is High because the tax system sucks so hard so anyone can do as he/she likes.(I bet you would do the same).Big tax evaders are those who have great ammounts of money.You say that its a national sport.Say that to me and my family which we pay 1.5/3 of our month wage to taxes.

4:We hate wornking huh?Let Me quote this article from a newspaper Of Your Country.
www.guardian.co.uk...

None of you has mentioned that greece for over 30 years is forced to buy ENORMOUS AMOUNTS of weapons to please us/germany/france.

Quoting from wikipedia
According to NATO, in 2008, Greece spent 2.8 percent of G.D.P. on its military, or about €6.9 billion, or around $9.3 billion. Greece is the largest importer of conventional weapons in Europe and its military spending is the highest in the European Union (relative to G.D.P)

en.wikipedia.org...

More Lies About Greek People Attacking Black People.
Greek people from 1994 when the borders where opened co-existed with immigrants (legal and illegal) peacefully.Now at 2012 the situation is out of control.We are 10 millions and the immigrants are 4 millions.A simple walk at the center of athens would give you an idea.Immigrants are so many that they cant find a job and they started murdering/stealing to find something to eat.You cant walk at the center of athens after 12 cause all you can find are immigrants selling drugs/stealing.
Writing all this bull# from your home is insane.You dont have even the little idea what is going on here with immigrants here yet you still judge.

And again europe KNEW about the immigration problem in greece but they did nothing.I wonder why again.Frontex started operating in greece in 2008/9 when the problem was already huge.

Im not saying That This Crisis Aint Our Fall At All(And By Ours I Mean Greek People Not Corrupted Politicians)But Talking so bad about the ENTIRE greek nation is unacceptable

Stop Spreading Lies About Greek People.You speak freely in your country because greeks invented democracy and greeks fought for it
edit on 30-5-2012 by crystalknight because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-5-2012 by crystalknight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MI5edtoDeath

Actually I am a social democrat and what angers me is how the Greeks were careless with their country. Even now the Greeks are dodging their taxes.

They are like children throwing tantrums. No one can help them and Britain should not carry the can for them. The Greeks nearly wrecked the EU and this is unforgivable. Had they accepted the austerity, after a couple of years I would have been in favour of Britain pumping in a few billion into their economy to help out.

Greece is in the news a lot, but there's a much bigger problem right around the corner. You can already see a bit of it, could be the tip of her shoe poking out. Spain. Spain is going down the drain as we speak, and nothing the Eurozone does can help it. And so the Eurozone can't help itself. It's the fifth largest economy in the EU and the fourth largest in the EZ. All hell will break loose soon, perhaps as soon as this summer, and Greece will look insignificant in comparison.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join