It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEFCON - "That's not a glitch sir!"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Someone once asked about a decent WWIII game with a thead, but it ended up a board game request. I'm not sure if this was posted before, but either way, I dont think any one has brought much attantion to it from someone who's played it for a little while to see how it checks out.

Enjoy!

Here is my personal dTh Stamp Stamp of Approval Rating:

On a 3 Thumbs up basis

Playability:
- Easy custom game controles, Just have to be quick to lay out your stuff at start. The game starts ticking from get go. It's fast or slow *players choice*. Out of all the games I've played (well into the a hundred now) Ive seen games disconnects less than 5x. Remember. You can also play solo with as many bots as you like. 2-6 players. Small download. Viris safe.

Online Playability:
- You have to be fast...

Graphics:
- I say all 3 thumbs. It's simple, easy to see, and if you dont like it, you can update it with others. Check Youtube for more.

Story:
- Based on the old "Shall We Play A Game?" if you know what I mean, you will enjoy it. If you dont, You will enjoy it all the same.

Overall:
- It can be addicting, especially online play. There are alot of options to choose from, and if you host your own servers, which goes live on their boards, you can pretty much choose how you want to play it out. From land size customs, to tettitories owned, to game time, to alliances, to .. just fun stuff.

However, I would like to see alot more 'democracy abilities' so to speak. Like selling and buying, packs with research, aggriculture, and the like durring the deplomacy setting. Everything else is a dream. Scripters wet one.

Wiki

Spoiler alert... If you want to see it start to finish....

Maybe I'll see you there? Demo is free. Its not very restrictive so no worries. The full game costs 15$, unless you want it shipped, which you can still get the online download (unlimited demo is full game), in the full box for 25$ fedex.

Remember! You can still download and play the full game totaly free!
the only diffrence is, your name shows up with DEMO in front of it on the list of player names.

See you?

Look for ViRuS

edit on 26-5-2012 by theRhenn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   
S&F for pimping a Ambrosia software.

I wish theyd get around to making an IPAD port of Escape Velocity.

Pretty cool indie studio for games, been playing there stuff since my first computer way back in the 90's.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   

However, I would like to see alot more 'democracy abilities' so to speak. Like selling and buying, packs with research, aggriculture, and the like durring the diplomacy setting. Everything else is a dream. Scripters wet one.

I played this game years ago when it first came out and I do believe back then the game was based on Macromedia Flash vector graphics if I'm not mistaken. It was a really good game and I played it for hours on end with friends online. But like you said at the end of your post, I always ended up wanting more detailed game-play like diplomacy, nation building, arms races, research, etc... I would *LOVE* to see a Defcon style "Total War" edition that includes game-play aspects that I mentioned above. A "Total War" type game could simulate the tinder box of the cold war; the East West German border where the U.S. and the Soviets stared each other in the face for decades.

A game such as the one I long for wouldn't have to be an all out "counterstrike MAD situation" as both sides during the cold war had tactical nuclear weapons that used small warhead yields. This would make such a game quite a bit more intricate and require more tactics.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Please keep in mind Ambrosia is only the distributors for the Mac. The actual company behind DEFCON is Introversion, a small group of guys from the UK. All of their games are incredible, Uplink and my all-time favourite: Darwinia.

new topics

top topics

join