It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need answer to what this means

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I've looked around on freshman forum and didn't see what I was looking for, though it's probably there somewhere. My questions....
1. On a persons profile what does 'K' mean? ....kudos? I heard the word kudos mentioned somewhere. And if so, how does the number go up?

2. When someone posts something, up at the top of their post they all say ”this post”. What does that mean and what happens when you click on it. I've clicked several times before and nothing happened, just tried now on a random post and it refreshed the page. Did it do something else in the background? Did I accidentally report a post? Or launch a remote control grenade? Oh no! Tell me what I did.

Miss Sile

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Miss Sile

I'll try to help

Skeptic Overlord explained it this way:

As many have noticed, a new "KARMA" parameter has been added to the mini-profiles... and perhaps because of some of the comments in this thread, I moved-up the integration plan a bit.

First... the "WATS" score. I know many believe there to be some controversy or at the least, unfairness, in the method of calculation for the "Way Above Top Secret" ranking. The concerns/comments/ideas have not been ignored, but since the intent is to apply a heavy statistical weight to those who start threads, I believe the oft-discussed formula serves that purpose well, but may be refined as a result of the KARMA rank in order to place a much higher value on flags.

However, there are lots of members who contribute well, but may not start many threads; the KARMA score is for them. The karma calculation places a high weight on stars, a secondary weight on staff applause, and a tertiary lesser-weight on Flags; then compares all that against the number of posts. So that it is indeed possible for a new member with few threads, but great ideas in lots of replies, to achieve a higher "KARMA" than long-time high-WATS members.

ATS 2010 Updates

Clicking "This Post" will change your URL to that of the particular post in which you clicked "This Post" (I did it with Skeptics post above). Makes it nice when you want to post a link to a particular post instead of the first page of a thread.

Hope that helps

J

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Thank you, it does help. A lot. I haven't wrapped my head around the ” this post” thing entirely, but I think I get it. Any chance you could post the link of Skeptic Overlord where that info was taken? For both explanations. I'd like to read more on the topics. Thanks again for your quick answer.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miss Sile
Thank you, it does help. A lot. I haven't wrapped my head around the ” this post” thing entirely, but I think I get it. Any chance you could post the link of Skeptic Overlord where that info was taken? For both explanations. I'd like to read more on the topics. Thanks again for your quick answer.

This is Skeptic's post link:

ATS 2010 Update

An older member explained the "this post" to me. Here, try this:

1)look at your URL for the thread. It should end with "pg 1". right?

2) now, click "this post" inside my post here. Look at your URL. It should end with "pid" and some numbers. Those numbers are this particular post's ID number.

J
edit on 5/24/2012 by LadyJae because: clarity

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miss Sile

The long and short of it?

It's a URL link, that allows you to target a SPECIFIC post (one where if you want to send someone else to look at it, they wont have to scroll through potentially pages and pages of the thread to find it)....

As an example, if you write a reply that happens to reside on page 76 of a thread out of 200 pages....but you want to refer someone to a post YOU made in that thread, you can right click on the this post Copy Url, then paste it wherever you want to paste it to send other to and it will take them directly to THAT particular post.

It's for convenience.

Edit to note: It doesnt have to be just YOUR post, you can also apply the same principle to someone elses post in a long thread (Copy Url, and paste it) if you want to point out someone else's post in a long thread....where there are only 1 or 2 pages, it's functionality is basically moot, but in a long thread, it can have a great deal of functionality
edit on 25-5-2012 by alphabetaone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Miss Sile

1. On a persons profile what does 'K' mean? ....kudos? I heard the word kudos mentioned somewhere. And if so, how does the number go up?

It stands for "Karma". Once again, here's a post by Site owner Skepticoverlord, one explaining the K and also the W, which should help explain a bit better:

It's not real complicated.

Karma is influenced most by a stars-to-post ratio, with a minor influence from flags.

WATS is influenced most by a flag-to-post ratio, with a minor influence from stars and post-count.

Long term members with a high number of well-flagged threads will achieve a high WATS number -- or -- mid-term members with highly-flagged threads will also receive a high WATS number. It reflects a ranking of those who start quality threads (mostly).

Short term members who create replies that earn stars may achieve a high KARMA number -- or -- those long term members who focus more on adding to existing threads and are starred as a result, will also achieve a high KARMA number. It reflects a ranking of those who add quality to existing threads.

Sure, there may be short-lived abuses to stars and flags, but the intent of the system is to aid in painting a larger picture of ATS content. While, on occasion, some individual posts or threads may receive more flags or stars than deserved, on the whole I believe the system works as intended as a means to showcase important topics and hard-working members.
Post from Skepticoverlord, site owner.

Active members with the top 50 WATS rating are also listed here: Way Above Top Secret - Top 50 members.

2. When someone posts something, up at the top of their post they all say ”this post”. What does that mean and what happens when you click on it. I've clicked several times before and nothing happened, just tried now on a random post and it refreshed the page. Did it do something else in the background? Did I accidentally report a post? Or launch a remote control grenade? Oh no! Tell me what I did.

You'll notice when you click on "this post" that the url of the page will change. What you are effectively doing is selecting the post - Say for example if there was a particular post from a thread that I wanted someone else to see, how about the second post from this thread here in fact posted by LadyJae. If I click "this post" and then post the url, you'll automatically be redirected to the second post as proven when you click this link - this is how the "this post" option works. You're selecting that post for viewing and is a convenience feature as pointed out by someone else already.

Hope this was helpful in some way, and if not then don't hesitate to point it out.

edit on 25-5-2012 by Rising Against because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Miss Sile, oh Miss Sile,
seems you've been away for quite a while,

Registered in 2008
and now your back, well that's just great!

Hope you find what you're looking for
Now that you're a ninja sophomore

K means 'Karma' as you can see
and click 'this post' to come back to me

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

WATS is influenced most by a flag-to-post ratio, with a minor influence from stars and post-count.

This is the official version, but I think the math is flawed. SO explained the formula for WATS as:

(Flags X 5) X Stars / 1000000

which mathematically is equal to:

Flags X Stars / 200000

That means Flags and Stars are given equal weight in the WATS rating, meaning a member with a high WATS rating gets lots of flags and stars.

Sorry, I can't find the link to the post where it was explained; it would be nice to have these formulas posted somewhere for easy reference as there is still much confusion over the numbers.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Thank you every one, I totally understand the ”this post” and other stuff too!

And I liked your little poem 1littlewolf

Thanks all

new topics

top topics

join