It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stuntman sets record for surviving skydive without parachute!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

A British stuntman has become the first person to jump from 700 meters high without a parachute and survive. Forty-two-year-old Gary Connery wore a specially designed suit that slowed his descent. But despite the suit, he still shot downward at a speed of about 80 miles per hour. His descent lasted less than a minute and he landed in a large pile of cardboard boxes.

Link to story and video of free fall

That is INTENSE!!!!!!!! This guy has balls that clank!!!!!!!

I have had my fair share of static line drops, but ooh man, I would never entertain the idea of dropping from half mile up with nothing between my butt and the earth but a cardboard box.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Well anyone could make that jump if they have cardboard boxes to break their fall.

It's only a half mile.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by azbowhunter
That is INTENSE!!!!!!!! This guy has balls that clank!!!!!!!

There is a very fine line between bravery and stupidity.
Mostly it can only be decided afterwards.

Originally posted by azbowhunter
I have had my fair share of static line drops...

26 jumps for me.

Any other skydivers here?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MisterFister103

But still, it takes a certain amount of balls to jump out of a helicopter with no parachute, even with another plan in place.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by azbowhunter

That was utterly amazing!!! Are you sure that wasn't cgi?

I remember reading an article in the Reader's Digest a long long time ago about a soldier who jumped out of a plane and his chute and reserve never opened. He free fell all the way and landed in a large snow covered shrub and survived! But this guy knowingly did it!!

Clankity, Klank, Klank, Klank.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

did you watch the video??! do you realize how high up he's jumping from? you can't even see the boxes from that high up!!

lets see you do that from even a quarter the distance, it sure is easy to just say anyone can do it

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nephlim

did you watch the video??! do you realize how high up he's jumping from? you can't even see the boxes from that high up!!

lets see you do that from even a quarter the distance, it sure is easy to just say anyone can do it

I should have put smiley face in there.....was meant as sarcasm.

No way in hell am I gonna jump a half mile, or even an 8th of a mile out of the air.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Awesome.

I want to learn to do this one of these days before I die.
If I die doing it, then so be it...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

I read this story online today. They reported in their article that he did have an emergency chute should things have gone wrong.

reply to post by alfa1

Before I read the above chute statement, I frankly thought the guy was an idiot and feared for his safety. I still feared for his safety but at least he had a chute. Skydiving is always something I wanted to do but I do wonder if I could actually jump willingly out of a plane in full flight...that didn't have engine or pilot trouble.

edit on 23/5/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
Before I read the above chute statement, I frankly thought the guy was an idiot and feared for his safety. I still feared for his safety but at least he had a chute.

Thats not really a solution though, because "trouble" in this case is most likely to come when on final approach to the boxes, in which case he'd possibly be too low for a chute to save him. Depending how how soon he realised he was going to miss the boxes, of course.
The higher altitude part of the jump is the easy bit.

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
... but I do wonder if I could actually jump willingly out of a plane in full flight

Jumping out is easy. Over in a flash.
My first jump ordeal was climbing out onto the wheel and holding onto the wing strut, before being allowed to let go.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
he had a flight suit on. One of those winged suits that alowed him to glide to the target and hit it doing minimal speed. Not much of a stunt, especially if you're equiped with a flyin suit and a chute.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Thats an amazing stunt but lets face it that suit is practically a parachute in itself. If it wasnt he would have died when he hit the ground , plain and simple.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
That guy must have balls the size of Buster Gonads

Thats why he had a soft landing he landed on his plums

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

It does sound like fun but I probably just suffer with first time nerves. I love every ride at a fun park even though I'm 40. Yes I realise it's not quite the same but I do like the sensation of being thrown around all over the place.

But...why were you forced to hold onto the wing strut? Wouldn't that be risky for a first-timer?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
That is pretty cool, so many things could have gone wrong that he definitely deserves an applause. Why all the hate? This man set a new record, cheers to him and his exploit!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Don't do us any favors
we need you here slayer..

Also if the box plan didn't work out
i doubt this guy survived.
edit on 24-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Some people just aren't as smart as others. Why would a person even want to take a chance like that?
I suppose someone will be trying to break his record now, I hope it's no one I know.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Pfffft.

Captain America says parachutes are for girls!

top topics

join