It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Survival DROID!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
S&F for you! Thanks for this thread!

Some people forget that even though your signal may be lost and no internet is available most of the apps you mentioned will still work just fine. Many of us have a couple of extra smart phones lying around (gotta love those contracts) that we could install a lot of these apps on, stow them away, and just remember to charge the battery on occasion "just in case". It wouldn't be time consuming or too difficult to do this.

If it works, it could save your life...if it doesn't, then there is no harm, no foul.

Thanks also for the link on the wallet! Another easy thing to do!

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
some people forget that if you'll try using one of those in a heavy rain (no protection cover will let you use it - capacitive touchscreens require direct touch of your skin), if it's not one of those IP67 certified smartphones, you'll end up with a brick, not a smartphone.

bummer.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jedi_hamster

Good point, altho I think its a short list of androids with that certification. Hopefully, they become more mainstream in the future.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Tazkven

check my last post on the previous page. not too many, but it's better than nothing.
there are some IP57 - certified smartphones as well, but i wouldn't bother with those. IP67 - certified smartphone is risky enough, imho. standard IP67 - certified phone is the most reliable solution when it comes to survival phones.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
When using a compass or map system on an android phone, the compass works by triangulating off of cell towers / signals and NOT the GPS systems of satellites. I the cell towers are down during a SHTF scenario none of it will work.

Just thought you guys might like to know.

The "GPS" system in your phone works the same way. Off cell towers not GPS satellites.

If you don't believe me get out of cell range and try all the gizmo's

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

You should become more familiar with the sensors inside an android device ...

rotation vector
gyroscope
accelerometer
linear acceleration
gravity
light
proximity
orientation
pressure
magnetic field
processor temperature

source

Believe the Galaxy Nexus even has a barometer in it ... so this list is not complete. Of course different devices may or may not have different sensors so your mileage may vary.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join