It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians!!!…Why do you base your beliefs, theology and doctrines, around the “Book of Revelati

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You have mentioned the acts of John and other texts when were they written? Was it after the revelation of Christ given to John?

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by guitarplayer

Originally posted by guitarplayer
You have mentioned the acts of John and other texts when were they written? Was it after the revelation of Christ given to John?

Good question…

The accurate dating of the “Book of Revelations” is a hotly debated subject, with dates ranging from either 68-69 AD to 95 AD or perhaps even older, somewhere between (150-202 AD)

The reson for this last date of (150-202 AD) is because no others testimonies of the book exists, outside that of Irenaeus account.

The “Secret book of John”, was written sometime in the 2nd century, iether before, or somtime around AD 180, at the latest.

Some chapters in the “Acts of John” are dated at 120 AD…

The problem with the dating of many of those Christian/Gnostic texts, is that many of them are just rough estimates. And like many of the Gnostics texts; where dealing with surviving copies, which were written in Coptic.

And although there’s no way of proving this, the fact that they are copies, means that they were most likely derived, from even early existing manuscripts. The main reason those originals manuscripts are not around today, is because the early RCC, had much of them destroyed, sometime around the 3rd century AD.

So while the dating of these books is important and relevant etc…right now, dating them, just doesn’t really gives us an accurate picture of reality. All we can do, is speculate…

- JC

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Who does that? I know that some churches try to use Revelations to try to keep their people from turning into greedy, self centered, corruptible politicians but other than that I don't see it's a base of beliefs.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Originally posted by rickymouse
Who does that? I know that some churches try to use Revelations to try to keep their people from turning into greedy, self centered, corruptible politicians but other than that I don't see it's a base of beliefs.

You’re kidding me…right?

The “Book of Revelations”, is heavily tied into many Christian denominational beliefs.

So you don’t see it as a base of beliefs eh?… so things like …The Rapture!, and Jesus coming back, to specifically destroy the ungodly…is just all part of their imagination, plucked out of nowhere…

- JC

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Joecroft

I was a christian and I considered Revelations as a chapter written by a crabby guy who was that way because he was exiled to an Island somewhere. I'd write some nasty stuff too if that happened to me.
Most Christians don't hear that negativity in church. Most want to have an enjoyable life. Did you listen to all the sermons?
I read the bible in church so I had something to do when the preacher was giving his speeches.
I couldn't get reprimanded for reading the bible instead of listening to the propaganda. Once in a while the sermons did interest me and I listened.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

. . . written by a crabby guy who was that way because he was exiled to an Island somewhere. I'd write some nasty stuff too if that happened to me. Most Christians don't hear that negativity in church. Most want to have an enjoyable life.
Patmos was not a holiday resort Island, but a forced labor camp to work the stone quarries.
The book would have appealed to people who felt oppressed by the Roman Empire.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join