It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mermaid show on animalplanet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Has anyone else seen this? I have my DVR set to record it.

I wonder if the pics they talk about are out there anywhere.

press.discovery.com...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

Mermaids: The Body Found is a story about evolutionary possibility grounded in scientific theory, which blends real-life events and phenomena with a first-hand account of a team of government scientists who testify they found the remains of a never-before-identified sea creature with ties to human origins—a mermaid. Stunning computer animation, eyewitness video and photographic evidence shows us what the mermaid looks like, and questions are raised about whether the government is involved in a massive cover-up, hiding information about the possible survival of these creatures and if they exist today.

team of "government scientist" evolutionary possibility lol common lets get real here

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

Aquatic Ape Theory Overview Was man more aquatic in the past? Sir Alister Hardy sure thought so. Hardy was the first to propose this idea in 1960 in a New Scientist article, “Was Man More Aquatic in the Past?” His idea became known as the highly controversial Aquatic Ape Theory. The Aquatic Ape Theory is the idea that during the transition from the last common ancestor we shared with apes to hominid (human), humans went through an aquatic stage. This stage is believed to have resulted in “aquatic ape-like” creatures. The Aquatic Ape Theory is the scientific theory applied to Mermaids: The Body Found. The Aquatic Ape Theory postulates that coastal flooding millions of years ago turned some of our ancestors inland and a group of our ancestors deeper into the water out of necessity and for food. The Aquatic Ape Theory makes it possible to believe that while we evolved from apes into terrestrial humans, our aquatic relatives turned into something strangely similar to the fabled mermaid. As evidence that humans once evolved into aquatic creatures, the Aquatic Ape Theory cites some of the striking differences between man and other primates and the many features we share with marine mammals, including the following: Webbing between fingers (other primates don’t have this) Subcutaneous fat (insulating from cold water) Control over breath (humans can hold breath up to 20 minutes, longer than any other terrestrial animal) Loss of body hair (hair creates drag in water) Instinctive ability to swim (human babies are able to do this) A highly developed brain, which depends on nutrients provided by seafood Today, the leading advocate for this theory is Elaine Morgan. Morgan is a scientist who has written many books supporting Hardy’s idea. Below is an Aquatic Ape Theory chart that Morgan put together, highlighting the similarities between humans and aquatic creatures, and the differences between humans and other primates:

press.discovery.com...

The aquatic ape theory sounds pretty cool.

There was all that stuff recently about the government covering up mermaid research. I think they are Jinni
Maybe they are those fish people that the Babylonians went on about.

Edit- The first born of the jinni/djinn were the Marid. They live in the ocean and are the most powerful and the most evil of the four djinn tribes. Maybe mermaids are the jinni.

edit on 21-5-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by coop039

I dumped my Cable but this looks actually interesting, but I am a sucker for mermaids...
edit on 21-5-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
There is a really good talk by Elaine Morgan on the aquatic ape theory:

www.ted.com...

Well worth a watch/listen

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I saw this documentary on youtube a few weeks ago. It had jumped from 300,000 views to 600,000 in a week. All clips of it (it had chinese subtitles) were removed when animal planet announced the release of this documentary.

The original painted the US government as evil and was never aired. This new edited version that's hitting Animal Planet soon will be missing a lot of the original facts. I'm interested to see what gets covered up and will likely report back on the discrepancies.

Interesting fact:

There has been a mermaid post on ATS before. Search it.
When the documentary was first supposed to get aired the gonverment (which controls media) said no. Then started shutting down a bunch of mermaid sites.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Crabmeat because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Very interesting.
I have noticed a long tradition of the research on modern supposed carcasses aswell as investigations regarding confirmed sightings of beings like this(For instance the Merman of the Caspian Sea) always turning out in a complete silence with no update whatsoever.
It would certainly not be unlikely with a cover-up. For what reason, one could only speculate.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crabmeat
I saw this documentary on youtube a few weeks ago. It had jumped from 300,000 views to 600,000 in a week. All clips of it (it had chinese subtitles) were removed when animal planet announced the release of this documentary.

The original painted the US government as evil and was never aired. This new edited version that's hitting Animal Planet soon will be missing a lot of the original facts. I'm interested to see what gets covered up and will likely report back on the discrepancies.

Interesting fact:

There has been a mermaid post on ATS before. Search it.
When the documentary was first supposed to get aired the gonverment (which controls media) said no. Then started shutting down a bunch of mermaid sites.
edit on 21-5-2012 by Crabmeat because: (no reason given)

It would help us greatly if you might post the original name of the documentary? Youtube isn't the ONLY place to find streaming videos out there, and perhaps it's available at another location on the web? I'm really good at finding things. The only thing I'd need is what the original program was called. This interests me a lot, and I did a little searching on Youtube to no avail....

Please help Crabmeat, and thanks.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The name of the video is ---- Animal Planet [real mermaid: scientific assumptions]

At least that's what the Chinese translation of the video said...The one that is no longer available on youtube.
edit on 22-5-2012 by corellon because: More info.

edit on 22-5-2012 by corellon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
You do know this is a fictitious film?

IMDB Information

The fictional film tells the story of a scientific team's investigative efforts to uncover the source behind mysterious underwater recordings and an unidentified marine body.
-Wikipedia

Mermaids: The Body Found Wikipedia Article

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by corellon

The chinese subtitled one was an animal planet film, however it never aired in America and was supposedly leaked/then aired in China. I repeat, it didn't paint the US Govt in a nice picture, nor the US Navy. In fact it made them seem out right evil with complete disregard to consequences of deep sea sonar testing (which resulted in the various mass mammal sea life beachings - all of which showed intense tissue contusion damage.

As for the IMDB listing that the last poster mentioned, that's in regard to the new TAMPERED with version of the documentary (which is being called a MOCKUMENTARY). It is one after all, of the original Mermaids documentary.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SeriousIndividual

Also, SeriousIndividual, in the orignal documentary the body (heavily mutiliated) of the mermaid which was reconstructed using sophisticated forensic methods was NOT found at the south african beaching as the IMDB summary reports. The NOAA scientists that were called to the area to investigate the beaching reported US NAVY present, quarantining a section with medical personnel with in it's boundaries. It was Later that they were called to fishing docks to identify the remains of a strange creature found in the stomach of a great white. It was those remains that were reconstructed into the mermaid. The NOAA scientists believe that the US NAVY quarantined off a section of beach where one of these creatures washed ashore, and medically removed it from the site.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Crabmeat

This new version is what is going to be aired this Sunday? Am I correct because the Wikipedia page claims it will air in the Spring of 2012 in North America? So both the fictitious version and the "real" version go by the same name. Is that also correct? Animal Planet is airing the fictitious version, but trying to claim there's truth to it? Why not just air a documentary of their own with the facts and not create something with actors and story based off supposedly real events? Also, why is the original documentary not mentioned on the "mockumentary" Wikpedia page? You would think they would want you to know it's not total bull**** if it truely isn't.
edit on 22-5-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeriousIndividual

This new version is what is going to be aired this Sunday? Am I correct because the Wikipedia page claims it will air in the Spring of 2012 in North America? So both the fictitious version and the "real" version go by the same name. Is that also correct? Discovery Channel is airing the fictitious version, but trying to claim there's truth to it? Why not just air a documentary of their own with the facts and not create something with actors and story based off supposedly real events? Also, why is the original documentary not mentioned on the "mockumentary" Wikpedia page? You would think they would want you to know it's not total bull**** if it truely isn't.

LOL! One more time.

The ORIGINAL documentary was made years ago by Animal Planet for Animal Planet. HOWEVER it was never aired because of how it painted the US NAVY as criminals. The Wikipedia Page says it's been edited recently. The IMDB page says the same.

I'll repeat again also that ALL TRACES of the original seemed to be stricken from the internet when Animal Planet announced the showing of the documentary, now labeled as mockumentary. Prior to Animal Planet announcing this, there were fragmented clips of the documentary all over youtube w/ chinese subtitles.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039
Has anyone else seen this? I have my DVR set to record it.

I wonder if the pics they talk about are out there anywhere.

press.discovery.com...

I definitely saw this commercial the other night when I was watching River Monsters (Another awesome show)... Anyways, it looks quite interesting and Ill definitely be a viewer of the episode... To the close-minded folks of the world, this is nothing but a big waste of time... But to the open-minded, this is a very interesting story with so many possibilities... The way I look at it, the oceans are so vast, there are still so many unknowns out there, who knows, maybe theeres some truth to their story...

Nice post, I'm glad someone made a thread on this to discuss it

S&F

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I'm editing this entire post because I've come to the answer myself. What you're going to see this Sunday is a completely CGI investigation. It's all a bunch of "what ifs" and "what could be". Clearly another "Special" made for your yuppi neighbors. There's literally going to be no fact. They may mention something here and there that has a bit of truth behind it, but for the most part it is entirely fiction. This is all based off of descriptions of the show that I read on various websites.

MERMAIDS: THE BODY FOUND is the crescendo of the epic week with a two-hour CGI investigation into the probability of mermaids swimming throughout our waters. It explores a scientific theory that supports the existence of mermaids, and the film imagines how they really appear, how they evolved and the role they play beneath the water's surface. With action and intrigue, MONSTER WEEK takes viewers on an adventure that promises to astound and delight the imagination.

-straight from Animal Planet

"probability" and "imagination"

I'll just find the original video instead of watching this nonsense.
edit on 23-5-2012 by SeriousIndividual because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

If you find the original please post a link here or download it so it cant be scrubbed again.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

If you want to find the original I'd suggest looking at video hosting sites that are centered in Asia.

While the one I saw had some CGI (very poorly rendered i might say, not for mass viewership), it definitely wasn't CGI intensive. And there are some 'what if's' but only when the origins of the mermaid were in question.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
The show is entertaining, and it would be unbelievable if mermaids were discovered. I don't know why they would evolve to keep their long arms. Some of our land ancestors went back to the sea, so it could be possible?

Aquatic Ape Hypothesis

Evolution of Cetaceans

Its interesting too how mermaids are mentioned throughout history.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I watched this earlier as well and thought about posting ..... thought how crazy that the subject hasn't been placed out there, or for that matter here before. Did a search and found an old thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

<<   2  3  4 >>

join