It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the drone paranoia / hysteria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
itmay be just me - but in the last week - every time i see drones / UAV`s mentioned on ATS , the threads degenerate into paranoia and hysteria that is above and beyond even ATS

what the hell has come over some people ?

almost every thread has atleast one wing-nut advocating shooting them down - this may work in your dreams - but in the real world , militaries didnt spend years developing dedicated AA weapons - just for the fun of it

and what in the world prompts you to want to shoot them down - you have had police helicopters for 4 decades now [ more in major metropolisies ] ihave yet to see even ATS sujesting shooting the police helicopters down

why is that - drones will do just the same tasks as police helicopters

now as for the claims of ` armed drones ` - where did that come from ? - we now even have armed drone hoax threads to fuel the fantasy

there are no armed police helicopters [ or any other armed aircraft ] - operated by a domestic law enforcement agency withing US borders

despite the fact that many police helicopters etc are built on designs that have an armed military variant

so why are drones suddenly going to be armed ?

the intensity , and irrationality of this drone frenzy makes me think that its got to be some sort of deflection / disinfo / coping mechanism for people who cannot or will not focus on real issues - but instead fantasise about drones

i await your thoughts

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
There's a difference between a police helicopter, which are usually used in pursuing suspects and searching an area, as opposed to random drones just flying around without a target.

The difference is active search versus just passive surveillance.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Because the concern is warranted. Do you want to live in a police state where your every move is watched? I don't. Most of the people on here don't. Don't give me that "If you're not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to worry about" crap, either.

By the way, why do you assume that it's a "right-winger" suggesting that someone shoot down a drone? How would you know that? Seems you've been programmed well by the media. Good job.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

now as for the claims of ` armed drones ` - where did that come from ? - we now even have armed drone hoax threads to fuel the fantasy

the intensity , and irrationality of this drone frenzy makes me think that its got to be some sort of deflection / disinfo / coping mechanism for people who cannot or will not focus on real issues - but instead fantasise about drones

You can blame me for the hoax which I unwittingly posted. The image used in the hoax was one of an armed predator drone so that part was thought to be true.
Honestly, I never expected that thread to garner the attention that it did while posted in Weapons and Tactics, it seemed to be a subject on many people's minds - and for good reason.

The agency projects that 30,000 drones could be in the nation’s skies by 2020

www.washingtontimes.com...

You tell me who is paranoid - the government or the people?

If drones aren't armed now they will be and soon, you know the government has no compunction about such measures. Unless seen taking off or landing we wouldn't be able to tell if they're armed or even if they're in the skies above us.
The DOD has already stated that they will keep all images taken from drones for 90 days regardless of privacy concerns.
This is the first issue that right and left are agreeing on, surely that means something very intrinsic to our rights as Americans is at stake.
Or maybe it's just the idea of skynet that bothers us a trifle.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
There is a " HUGE " difference between a police helicopter that assist in a chase and a drone that can stay up orbitting for hours. Just watching and waiting. These are military weapons and are now being turned on civilian populations. You might also want to do a little research to some of the police agencies that have talked about arming these drones with tear gas and such.

What amazes me is how people like you will let the slow creep of goverment come on so willingly. Its like the people I hear on here talk about how American's dont know what a police state really is. Well no, maybe we are not North Korea yet, but every right you give up takes us one step closer. Its not something they do over night.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

itmay be just me - but in the last week - every time i see drones / UAV`s mentioned on ATS , the threads degenerate into paranoia and hysteria that is above and beyond even ATS

why is that - drones will do just the same tasks as police helicopters

You are right, we shouldn't become paranoic when drones fly over our heads. You must unsderstand....., I takes time for us to get used to a new type of control. Please be patient while we slowly remove from our minds the concept of free will that God gave us.

Right now for example, I'm thinking in what other way I can use my middle finger, since I won't be able to raise my hand to the sky and show it when a drone pass by.

Thinking about it, maybe it's not that bad. Hopely the chemtrails will stop making the sky blurry, to give 100% visibility to the cameras in the drones. Awesome right?.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I see what your talking about and again in this thread people are missing the point. Instead of a guy in a helicopter its a drone and a guy watching through a camera. Its the same thing just with less noise and less cost.
The only talk of armed drones come from the paranoid people who have nothing better to do than fantasize and stuff hats not going to and will not happen. Attack helicopters and drones are for military use, not the police.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
To the thread title creator,

NY City now has the means to shoot down aircraft, they have military air to air weapons.

The CIA has always done the deep air reconnaissance for America (developing highly sophisticated aircraft), not the Air Force. It would be the CIA's interest to use those machines to control the drug world/crime in America. I would guess many cities now have the LRAD sound weapon on their police helicopters for major riots. The drones can also have the LRAD and other weapons to use against citizens.

I'd also guess on the horizon we will see future use of air frames using their radar against people on the ground along with certain wave length lasers that people can't see. We're a police state. Always have been.

George Washington amassed more troops to kill Americans, than he ever did to fight the British.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
To the thread title creator,

NY City now has the means to shoot down aircraft, they have military air to air weapons.

The CIA has always done the deep air reconnaissance for America (developing highly sophisticated aircraft), not the Air Force. It would be the CIA's interest to use those machines to control the drug world/crime in America. I would guess many cities now have the LRAD sound weapon on their police helicopters for major riots. The drones can also have the LRAD and other weapons to use against citizens.

I'd also guess on the horizon we will see future use of air frames using their radar against people on the ground along with certain wave length lasers that people can't see. We're a police state. Always have been.

George Washington amassed more troops to kill Americans, than he ever did to fight the British.

This is what he OP is talking about. People being paranoid and making things up that do not exist. please reread the first post.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

almost every thread has atleast one wing-nut advocating shooting them down - this may work in your dreams - but in the real world , militaries didnt spend years developing dedicated AA weapons - just for the fun of it

Robotic Frisbees of Death

Okay just LOVE that title

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It ain’t easy, picking out evil-doers in the urban canyons of the Middle East; there are so many places to hide. Taking ‘em out can be even harder, what with all those noncombatants hanging nearby. But the Air Force thinks it might have an answer to this most vexing problem in counter-insurgency: frisbees. disc_uav.JPGNot just any frisbees, mind you. Robotic frisbees. Heavily armed robotic frisbees. The Air Force recently tapped Triton Systems, out of Chelmsford, Mass, to develop such a “Modular Disc-Wing Urban Cruise Munition.“ “The 3-D maneuverability of the Frisbee-UAV [unammned aerial vehicle] will provide revolutionary tactical access and lethality against hostiles hiding in upper story locations and/or defiladed behind obstacles,” the company promises.

defensetech.org...

Looks like we should practice Skeet Shooting

Get THEM before they get us

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi
People being paranoid and making things up that do not exist.

Not making it up

Wait till you see the robotic insects they are using for snooping...

DARPA creating super bionic insects

Now DARPA is working hard to establish an array of cybernetic insects. The program, "Hybrid Insect Micro Electromechanical Systems" (HI-MEMS), is part of their Controlled Biological and Biomimetic Systems program and seeks to fuse mechanical micro-technologies to living insects creating a machine-bug amalgam. The microsystems that DARPA calls payloads will draw parasitic power from the insects, work with the insects nerve or muscles, and take control of the insect.

Zombie insect spies and battle bugs

www.helium.com...
edit on 19-5-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

now as for the claims of ` armed drones ` - where did that come from ? -

From the Washington Times actually, for one

]The highest-profile use of drones by the United States has been in the CIAs armed Predator-drone program, which targets al Qaeda terrorist leaders. But the vast majority of U.S. drone missions, even in war zones, are flown for surveillance. Some drones are as small as model aircraft, while others have the wingspan of a full-size jet.

“We need a list so we can ask [each agency], ‘What are your policies on drone use? How do you protect privacy? How do you ensure compliance with the Fourth Amendment?’ ” Ms. Lynch said.

“Currently, the only barrier to the routine use of drones for persistent surveillance are the procedural requirements imposed by the FAA for the issuance of certificates,” said Amie Stepanovich, national security counsel for the Electronic Privacy Information Center, a research center in Washington.

The Department of Transportation, the parent agency of the FAA, has announced plans to streamline the certification process for government drone flights this year, she said.

“We are looking at our options” to oppose that, she added.

Section 332 of the new FAA legislation also orders the agency to develop a system for licensing commercial drone flights as part of the nation’s air traffic control system by 2015.

US Civilians Are Now Helping Decide Who To Kill With Military Drones

President Obama's enormous expansion of the U.S. drone program may be pushing too fast for military staffing to keep up.

David S. Cloud of The Los Angeles Times reports the military is now forced to rely on a string of civilian contractors placed at all levels along the "kill chain." These are the people who analyze incoming drone video and decide when to fire Hellfire missiles.

The practice is not new.

articles.businessinsider.com...

You might want to check the news before you go on a rant... It only took two minutes to find these articles There are many more if you search "armed drones over USA"

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   

so why are drones suddenly going to be armed ?

Ask the Pentagon...

Pentagon working with FAA to open U.S. airspace to combat drones

"The stuff from Afghanistan is going to come back," Steve Pennington, the Air Force's director of ranges, bases and airspace, said at the conference. The Department of Defense "doesn't want a segregated environment. We want a fully integrated environment."

That means the Pentagon wants the same rules for drones as any other military aircraft in the U.S. today.

But the Pentagon is concerned about flying hundreds of larger drones, including Global Hawks as well as MQ-1 Predators and MQ-9 Reapers, both made by General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc. in Poway.

And last week Congress approved legislation that requires the FAA to have a plan to integrate drones of all kinds into national airspace on a wide scale by 2015.

articles.latimes.com...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

now as for the claims of ` armed drones ` - where did that come from ? -

From the Washington Times actually, for one

]The highest-profile use of drones by the United States has been in the CIAs armed Predator-drone program, which targets al Qaeda terrorist leaders. But the vast majority of U.S. drone missions, even in war zones, are flown for surveillance. Some drones are as small as model aircraft, while others have the wingspan of a full-size jet.

You might want to check the news before you go on a rant... It only took two minutes to find these articles There are many more if you search "armed drones over USA"

And it only takes a couple more minutes to read and comprehend them.

That Washington Times article isn't talking about armed drones over US soil, and the LA Times article is talking about future sense bro. Do you have any articles that say there are currently armed drones over the USA?

I think it's inevitable that there will be in the near future, but the discussion is about the present.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by freelance_zenarchist

What you give up in the present is what you live with in the future.

"The aircraft has the capability to have a number of different systems on board. Mostly, for law enforcement, we focus on what we call less lethal systems," he said, including Tazers that can send a jolt to a criminal on the ground or a gun that fires bean bags known as a "stun baton."

This is a peice in the examiner.www.examiner.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">www.examiner.com... first-unmanned-police-drone-texas-set-to-launch-north-of-houston

Ever day we give in just alittle. 15 are 20 years ago people would have rioted over the Patriot Act. Now its just one in a long list.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

I don't disagree with you, but lets not use selective reading like some of the other members around here.

and this one could someday carry weapons.

"The aircraft has the capability to have a number of different systems on board. Mostly, for law enforcement, we focus on what we call less lethal systems," he said, including Tazers that can send a jolt to a criminal on the ground or a gun that fires bean bags known as a "stun baton."

"You have a stun baton where you can actually engage somebody at altitude with the aircraft. A stun baton would essentially disable a suspect," he said.

Gage said he has no immediate plans to outfit his drone with weapons, and he also ruled out using the chopper for catching speeders.

"We're not going to use it for that," he said.

www.examiner.com...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Long before people knew of the drones they were being flown in circles around a certain Air Base in California while they tested them....many many years ago.

Were they using the cameras to look at the civilian population in the region? They were testing them weren't they?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

And I mean no disrespect Freelance. I just know that our goverment has a history, and if they are admitting it is possible now, then more than likely it has already happened. Not to be combative. I am just " ye of little faith " amymore.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

Yeah no worries, I feel the same way actually.
I was just curious if there were any documented cases of armed drones being used.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   

it has been my experience that every time the Military asks for permission to do something, or info is released to the public, it's already a 'done deal'
They just need the paper work to catch up

top topics

<<   2 >>

join