It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No jobs avalible anywhere!!!!!

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity
It's just ridiculous and hiring software developers has been an even worse experience. I keep hearing about how impossible it is to find work in the US right now but yet we can't even get basic Linux techs to work from home for 40k per year plus health benefits???

I would love this so badly. Do you happen to know if the opportunities are the same in other western non-u.s countries? 40k a year + work from home is a dream come true.
what hours were you looking for?

-TF

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
reply to post by Jordan River

this administration is the reason for more than 2-5 million more jobless than before the financial crisis began

point A: the Affordable healthcare Act was passed into Law & it is making corporations hire less workers
point B: the former tax rollbacks from the last Bush administration are set to expire...thus making a hired worker more expensive to employ

those are the 2 ,main reasons that employers are reluctant to hire... with the present policies the workforce is destined to be downsized forever...
some 11 million are no longer 'middle class' and the openings are both few and very difficult to fill, even for the yearly crop of college grads.

This is "common wisdom" amongst the right wing -- if you took the trouble to actually look into you would find that you are wrong. Being wrong makes people look foolish.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by StratosFear

Its simple, MOVE OUT OF DETROIT!

I had some problems finding work for awhile but the jobs are out there but employers are looking for decent people to fill them. I work now for a window installation company and a group that specializes in tree care(planting included) and im responsible for hiring new people. Let me tell you i have heard every sob story thats out there and its hard to believe some of these people that want to say they really need to work for this or that but when hired all they want to do is hang out on the phone, take constant cigarette breaks or rush thru their work half-assed to get that cigarette break.

Just last month i needed 3 people, just 3 to do some regular labor, no degrees or exp. needed and out of the 30 or so people i interviewed only about 5 actually seemed like they had the competance to perform the job. Only one is still with us now after the others flaked out. Complained about the hours after they knew what they were, one had a real bad arrogance and thought he knew more than the boss and he liked to run his mouth, and one actually quit because he couldn`t talk on his phone!

We are having the same problems hiring in Ga. we will train we hire temps to try them out and then they go full time. We have so many that seem to quit working after they are hired full time. We have constant manufacturing work no heavy lifting not dirty and varies enough to at least not be mind numbing, and we are slammed work wise, actually the best two years of the 25 the company has been in existence. Full insurance and reasonable vacation time and many long time employees.

We have a terrible time with unemployment - yet we have so many who don't seem to get what working is all about. These are not long time welfare recips. They are young, they don't have tons of relevant experience, they are high school graduates. We offer decent jobs that are not numbingly boring not heavy not dirty, but it is work, it does require a basic understanding of fractions, decima,l and metric, units of measurement and it takes thinking and following instructions that change for everything we make (custom engineered) People are treated with respect. Yet we still have a hard time finding people who want to actually keep showing up to do the work. It is interesting that while we mostly hire young people, the people that stay seem to be getting older.

What do you do with a work force that actually might not want to or perhaps doesn't really understand the concept work? How much job creation does it take to change an attitude. I just drove from Atlanta to Houston - all they way there were advertisements on the radio advertising for drivers and tradesman. Somebody is hiring, work is being done, stuff is being made.

This is a difficult, many faceted problem.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Create yourself a damn jobs. Open a company etc.
Thats best opportunity for you and others.
And best time is now.now So called recession is best time to start your own business.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes
There are loads of jobs around.

I fear that many of the people complaining about lack of jobs are those who are too picky or stuck-up to apply for jobs which they think are ''demeaning''.

Simply NOT f'ing true!!! Not where I am and the recession has just started to hit here with much higher food prices, energy, etc. But, there is still plenty of new building going on here, in Lubbock. But I look for things to get much worse for people living here year round. Texas Tech is the only thing keeping this city going, IMHO.

I was in the substance abuse field for over 15 years - 9 of those I was a State licensed Counselor. Then, mom became very ill and needed 24/7 care in April, 2010. So, that is what I did until her death last August. Needless to say, we were closer than most and she was my most favorite person on this planet. So, I was GREATLY affected by her passing, even though I felt like I was preparing for it for over a year. That is how these things go.

But, I - just recently in the last month and half - felt like I was ready to start working again. It took me until the last 2-3 weeks to start getting a few call backs for interviews. I am now working PT for Comfort Keepers helping people who are elderly and trying to stay at home instead of going into a nursing home. It, at least, gives me gas, cigarette, dog food and toliet paper $$....lol

I, also, have an enter level substance abuse treatment job that should be calling me back within next couple of weeks - at least, that is what my friend - the boss - told me as he wants someone with my experience working for him.

So....I will be working 2 PT jobs in the end. But will not be making anything close to what I was use to for 15+ years. Things are NOT good or getting better as MSM reports. They are, in fact, getting worse and I expect that to continue. HOW DO YOU EXPECT PEOPLE TO TAKE LOW PAYING PART TIME JOBS TO MAKE A DAMN LIVING FOR THEMSELVES???

I am not concerned - except I must get my older brother down here from Michigan because things there ARE much, much worse. We will have to live in a dump - that will be all we can afford. But I will not mind as all I need is food, shelter, heat, AC, and clothing to wear. Most of my adult life has been like this so I have always live with 1-4 other people to survive - I am just tired of surviving, you know??

So, all you dumbies that think there are so many jobs out there........maybe we just need jobs that a normal person can survive while working?????

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Champagne

People don't understand those who are in need and compassion is very low for those who do not have a job/work or whatever.

You either lazy or somethings wrong with you

Those who are working a job that makes them happy or feeds enough bread become more snobby than naught.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Everyone seems to have the answers, although I cannot even find one job

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by spyder550

Problem is in High School or when i was in it a few years back they dont teach you about going after these kinds of jobs, its all about standardized testing and getting into a 4 year institution,(and taking out student loans) and so on and so forth. The auto shop they had was a joke and the engineering shop double as a desk storage room. What they need to do is have a class of introduction to trades like plumbing, basic construction, metal working etc. Teach these poor dumb souls to do something other than tap away on a little handheld device all day.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I completely disagree but have kept my word and posted a thread on this...

Kent Walls Rant III: Testicular fortitude

jobs are everywhere

do you want one on the record or off the record?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

i offered help- no response

please post your efforts to date

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by RyanFromCan
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

You want to buy a house? $1,500 a month plus taxes of $300
You want to rent for a small family? $1,500 a month
Groceries? $800 to $1000 a month
Car/Gas/Maintenance and Ins? $1,200
Phone/Internet/TV/Cell? $200

I don't know where you live, but I live in SE Saskatchewan, oil country, high cost of living here.

I down sized my home (I take care of my father) to a mobile home, and rent a lot in a park, currently looking at an fixer-upper in a community 30 min away to buy for a steal of a price. I own outright my 1991 Dodge Dakota, complete with peeling pain, but she purrs like a kitten, with a loving 330,000K on the clock, not an ego ride by any means, but it sure beats big insurance and loan payments. I grow a garden, and eat simple, not fancy, and even harvest the odd edible wild (dandelion greens are actually quite good in a stir fry. salad, or pasta sauce). I have a baseline cell phone older BB Curve), no iPhone 4s or the next fad for this guy, base internet, no cable, and use calling cards for long distance.

You want to buy a house? $400 a month plus taxes of $300/yr (yes, these are correct numbers for the house I am looking at)
You want to rent for a small family? $607 a month (pad rent)
Groceries? $300 to $450 a month
Car/Gas/Maintenance and Ins? No payments on truck, $64 insurance (good driver discount), $150 gas, $25 maintenance (do work myself)
Phone/Internet/TV/Cell? $80 Phone/internet (Streaming/podcast TV is fine, and no more than my net hookup) $75 Cell (company pays $50 of it as it is used for work as well)

$607 Pad rent
$450 Food
$64 Car Insurance
$150 Fuel
$25 Maintenance
$80 Internet, Phone, TV
$25 Cell
=
$1401.00

Time for you to downsize, take care of your needs not wants or ego, and humble yourself a little.

PS, the house I am looking at is a fixer-upper, not a palace, but is more than livable, I can do the work myself, and comes with the lot the house the lot is on, and the empty lot beside it, with the option for a 3rd attached lot that has a derelict house on it (needs basement repairs, a collapsing wall.), the two lots would be paid off in just over 5 years, the 3 lots would be just under 8 years at the $400 month payment rate, shorter if the mortgage holder passes before it is payed off (insurance, private mortgage)

Not trying to brag, just pointing out that you can live "on the cheap" if you are not a high maintenance person who defines themselves by their palace, or their car. the type of people that snicker at the vehicle I drive or the home I live in (not huge, but not a dump either) are exactly the type of ignorant, fake people I would not want as friends or associates anyways, so no worries for me.

Personally, I have downsized so that I can concentrate more on my business and not "things." The numbers I mentioned were for that retarded place called Toronto, but understand that Vancouver is even worse. I have a couple of vehicles, both older but I like the older vehicles, they are generally easier to work on in a pinch. Like you, I have one with 330k on the clock, runs well and it's a mini-van. My sports cars I sold long ago.

I was up in Atikokan a couple of years ago, houses there were a good price, but no industry. You could buy a 3 bedroom with a hot tub and jacuzzi for less that $30,000 and they were completely refinished. Amazing prices in some place. The most important thing however, is that wherever anyone "settles" they have to be able to support the financial requirements to live. So, if you can get away with $1400 in Saskatchewan, perfect, but for those people stuck in Toronto or Ontario for that matter, your basically looking at $2400 plus plus.

Personally, I am looking at going totally off the grid. There is crown land 20 miles north of me (I would probably go farther). I can build a house (done it before), I can power it with about 5kw continuous, there's fresh water and a waterfall nearby so I can use that as a secondary source of electricity. I could cut down about an acre of trees to grow food and manage a few animals. I'd have no problem going off the grid entirely, but I would bet the government would have a problem with me doing just that.

So, I wasn't complaining, just stating a fact, life is expensive in Toronto, I probably should have clarified the location if I didn't.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StratosFear

What if they had a class in high school or college, small biz or start your own biz or famous startups, something like that.

All the people qualified to teach it are too busy!

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I was unemployed for 2 1/2 years (you read that right) until this past Wednesday. I got a job in my field that pays HALF of what I was making at my last job. The owner is a dick and his right-hand man likes to think of himself as some sort of boss man who is always on my ass about working faster. I freaking hate it, but I will do it as long as I have to.

Keep trying - there has to be something.

Check that. The a$$hole owner decided I "wasn't a good fit", despite the fact that my first job out of college was way better than that one. C'est la vie. I probably would have punched the sales rep in the throat within two weeks and gotten fired anyway.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
There are jobs. Just maybe not in your city, and/or with high salaries. The small town I live in can hardly get decent help. In North Dakota, around Minot, they are hurting for employees as well. However, no housing so bring a camper

And for those who are complaining that $7.50 an hour isn't enough to raise a family, do you think welfare is better? I and many others on this site started at minimum wage many years ago and worked our way up, or worked two jobs and saved and saved. Many young people want to hit the ground running making $80,000 a year. That might have worked in the big cities in the past but it's a different ball game now and people need to figure it out. MOVE to a new location. Looking in the same area day after day, getting the same results......... MAKE A CHANGE. Do some research on the Great Depression and see what people went through and how they survived. If you're young and un-attached, now is a great time to vist ithe rest of our nation. Find a place where you love the people and CAN find a job. The bottom line is: THERE ARE JOBS. Go find them.

Many of the younger generation get sick and tired of hearing "well back in my day, ......." But guess what, back in my day, we worked paper routes and fast food joints and janitorial because that's what was available. You do what you can to get by. When things do pick up, you've got a work history showing you have endurance, dedication and motivation. Something that will make you stand out whether you have a degree or not.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gridrebel

That's why these immigrants end up owning businesses, they will work 16 hours a day 6 days a week and 8 hours on the 7th. And it's not just one member of the houshold, it's everyone contributing, cooperating.

American families aren't wired that way unfortunately. We have nursing homes for our elders, because we are far too busy to care for them.

It's the credit fiasco that made it really bad. A 28 year old couple with 2 kids living in a brand new 4,000 sq ft house with 2 new cars, a boat, a Harley and a camper, and they're making payments on all of it.

I wish we did things different, I proposed it to my own family. It just seems stupid to me that our 3 families live within a 5 block radius, and each of us need a riding mower, snowblower, weedwacker, etc,,,

It's just wasting money.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGWskeptic
American families aren't wired that way unfortunately. We have nursing homes for our elders, because we are far too busy to care for them.

It's the credit fiasco that made it really bad. A 28 year old couple with 2 kids living in a brand new 4,000 sq ft house with 2 new cars, a boat, a Harley and a camper, and they're making payments on all of it.

I wish we did things different, I proposed it to my own family. It just seems stupid to me that our 3 families live within a 5 block radius, and each of us need a riding mower, snowblower, weedwacker, etc,,,

It's just wasting money.

I hope we can return our focus to family and be more considerate in our communities as well. It's not easy but I think it's worth the effort.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join