It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teach me how to make a proper thread?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I have been on ATS for a while and have seen allot. I have seen the most amazing detail thought out post, and just plain blank threads. Most of the people on ATS do not contribute to the vast amount threads. I want to start contributing. I want to learn. I searched for this topic and to my surprise nothing came up. I was hoping that one of the ATS seniors could direct us.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Infi8nity
I have been on ATS for a while and have seen allot. I have seen the most amazing detail thought out post, and just plain blank threads. Most of the people on ATS do not contribute to the vast amount threads. I want to start contributing. I want to learn. I searched for this topic and to my surprise nothing came up. I was hoping that one of the ATS seniors could direct us.

Well,depends on what kind of topic you want to discuss.
Is it back by facts or speculations and theories.
State your case that you wish to push through.

Try not to be spontaneous in it all,research it.
( it has bitten me in the butt a few times).
Learn how to copy and paste and use the ATS media part of things.

Good luck!
K
edit on 18-5-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Hi Infi8nity,

I still ask myself that same question !

What I do is look up at members that I respect and that have made awesome threads.

You'll notice that they normally are well presented, with picture and/or videos. External text is in EX tags and linked. Pertinent info.

Here are a few that made me go wow as I find that they are great examples to follow :

Who Were the Ancient Megalithic Builders?

by Slayer69

War Plan Red – America’s Secretive plans for war..

by Rising Against

The Milky Way - Welcome to your New Home Galaxy!

by Zorgon

Those are very elaborate but I think they give a good idea.

Just my opinion and hope it helps.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Don't know what kind of thread you wish to make. But I can give you some ideas on what to do.

Start with your title for what your wanting to talk about and pick your thread which will fit it best. To pick the forum for the thread hit the forums tab at the top of the page. If you put it in the wrong Forum the mods will move it and let you know they did.

When you start your new thread you will need a article to start it on breaking news type threads. Some news articles are better detailed then others. So once you see a article you like make sure you check other articles about the same thing to pick the best or just add the extra articles as extra information on the story. Multiple sources are allways good. You can use google news link to do this. And to add extra links hit the Link button on top of the Post window. If you want to add pictures from the article. Right click on top of the photo in the article and copy the info from it. Then hit the Image button at the top of the post windo and paste the info into the box. You can also use google image link to find a picture you like.Videos are easily found on you tube link. To post the video look at your adress bar and look at the link.
"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HbiKfV_DA&feature=g-logo" Copy the section between v= and the &sign. In this example T7HbiKfV_DA is what you are looking for. Hit the link Vid Youtube above the post window and paste T7HbiKfV_DA into the box. When Quoteing text from a story right click and copy the text hit the link Quote above the Post window and paste the text into the window. Sometimes not all the text shows up. Just simply repaste between over the area you see where the text is and all the text will appear just make sure you don't erase the brackets around the words qoute.

Text

Hope this helps some good luck.

To see the lay out of this page click on qoute in the top right corner of this post.

Also on long threads with a lot of info in it you might be better off building up the information in a text editor. Sometimes the post box does not work right and you will lose everything you have taken your time to type and paste and building of links.
edit on 18-5-2012 by JBA2848 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Lots of pictures, lots of quotes, videos, sources and more pics, videos and external sources with plenty-o-links.

Seriously man. You can make it about poop and follow the above ingredients and it sure to hit the front page,

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Infinity

Good luck!
K

I had to chime in as to how the gentleman responded to the original post, because it struck a nerve. Whatever the topic is you chose to bring up or comment on, I can't tell you how important it is to get the information you get from as many sources as possible, from every spectrum politically and ideologically, and technologically. And then, make up your own mind, and trust your instincts. What you do after that is of course up to you.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This always has and continues to assist me with my threads....

A Guide to BBCode on ATS

ETA: Just one resource that is, everyone thus far has added some very good information. Good luck and I look forward to perhaps reading a thread from you. I would be remiss if I didn't say...remember your Mods, if you are ever unsure or need advice they are always willing to assist in addition to most members.
edit on 5/18/2012 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
1. Pick a memorable avatar picture. Post thoughts in other threads. Star and flag threads because what goes around comes around. End your posts with your name so people identify your avatar with your screen name.

2. Research something you have knowledge in, make sure you know what you are talking about. Compile links to relevant news stories.

3. When it is time to make a thread, timing is key as it should be relevant, in other words it should be breaking news. Even if someone already posted it in breaking news, you are allowed to make one other thread in a different forum, so for instance if someone beats you to a trayvon story, you can copy the story in a new thread but focus on race relations or divide and conquer techniques.

4. Back your thread premise with links and videos. The more the merrier. Use extra posts if needed. Even if someone does not read all of it, they may respect the amount of info and star and flag it anyway. And it makes trolls look stupid when they leave a two word response to a two post amount of infomation.

5. Title your thread appropriately. Do not over exaggerate or be sensational, be factual and on target. Avoid useless buzz words like 'Exclusive' they may attract newbies but the veterans have seen those words hundreds of times-a day.

6. Don't be afraid to respond to every post, at least on the front page, so you can self promote the thread and clarify your thoughts and defend your arguments, just don't be a jerk and people will like you.

7. Keep trying. Even if a thread does not get as much success as you hoped, future threads you author may do better because users remember previous threads you made.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture1200

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by Infinity

Good luck!
K

I had to chime in as to how the gentleman responded to the original post, because it struck a nerve. Whatever the topic is you chose to bring up or comment on, I can't tell you how important it is to get the information you get from as many sources as possible, from every spectrum politically and ideologically, and technologically. And then, make up your own mind, and trust your instincts. What you do after that is of course up to you.

Make it yours.Your thoughts on a subject,not repeating what someone else said.
We all forget this very important step.
I am as guilty of it as the next person.
This place is a place to voice your thoughts,your theories,your ideas.
And if you feel that your convictions are sound and strong,push through the crap people throw at you.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
End of the day it boils down to this:

You're a troll
You're a shill
You're a fruitloop

Just gotta see where the cards fall man...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Lord Jules

Well then I'm I'm screwed. I don't have a memorable avatar picture. In fact I have none. I guess I was hoping the words would express themselves, oh well...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by arbiture1200
reply to post by Lord Jules

Well then I'm I'm screwed. I don't have a memorable avatar picture. In fact I have none. I guess I was hoping the words would express themselves, oh well...

No worries,I was once in your place and I'm still am!

You want an avatar ,I will help.

BTW That is really me in the avatar ,I'm smarter then your average dog.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

No thanks. I'm to full of my self to need an avatar...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Infi8nity
Go with your heart make a thread that you think is important it can be about anything...

Make sure your grammar is right (spelling)don't make the thread to long i find them to get boring..

If your going to post videos make sure you tell about the video some get on from work and cant watch utube videos..
Also don't post a long video most don't want to watch a long video..

Research your topic well because people are going to ask you questions and your going to want to know what your talking about..

Go look at some of the ATS threads from members that have been on ATS for a long time some good ones that i like are
FortAnthem
Jean Paul Zodeaux
randyvs
kdog
Also having a avatar is important so people can remember who you are as a poster its not mandatory but its a good idea

Good Luck, and most of all just have fun on ATS!
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Here's a handy dandy place to practice embedding and such. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good luck, will be watching for your thread!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

There are certain subjects which require special attention. For instance, if your habits and tastes run to making a claim within the remit of science to examine, then it is important to provide evidence of your claim, using science, rather than supposition. If you cannot back up a scientific suggestion with documented evidence then it weakens your position. This most certainly includes postings in the UFO forums.

Politicially motivated postings are somewhat more slippery in terms of what one can suggest when making a thread. An awful lot depends on the precise alignment of your veiws on a given political topic. Either way, it is important to be understood, so be careful to be accurate in your communication. Crossed wires in political debate, can lead to unpleasant and unexpected places in discussion, which can be fustrating when it de rails the intended course of debate. Also you must do what you can to limit the ammount of abuse some members might hurl at you from a position of angst, at a veiw they do not share.

Essentially, an awful lot of the advice one could give you can be boiled down to this:

Do your homework, so that you have a firm idea of what you want to say in your thread, and so that you have the very best chance of getting your messege, or new data out there for people to absorb.

Include evidence for claims, and just downright accept that if you happen to make unusual or outlandish suggestions that you WILL come under fire if you do not back them up with something concrete, which is only right and fair, and part of the healty peer review process.

Include various sources of information to solidify your point.

Where applicable, include dates, times, locations. Be precise.

Provide links to background data, which is especially important where tables of results over time (for instance earthquake patterns over the years in a given area, or globally are helpful when discussing the subject in general).

Most important of all, in my humble opinion. When you see information, which you think would be useful in a thread you wish to write, dig into its origins. There are many crackpots and hoaxers out there, who operate not just in the realms of UFO interest, but in the realms of political analysis, intelligence watchers, secret society trackers, and so on and so forth. Therefore, it is very important to make sure your sources of information are solid themselves.

There were a speight of unfortunate threads that happened a couple of years back which included so called data from a person called Sorcha Faal. This scumbag, and others of similar ilk, provide the un wary internet user with conspiracy rich material, which in fact has no value or truth behind it what so ever. Posting thier information in a thread does not mark you as a horrible person, but can be bloody embarassing.

Best of luck!

TB

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
From my experience, an avatar doesn't really play a big role in a good post/thread. I've seen many brilliant threads and posts made by people without an avatar or even people with a new avatar every week.

I think it's important that you post about something you know and want to discuss. It's hardly an achievement to create a thread about genetics by copying and pasting dozens of external sources and videos. To be able to have a good discussion you need some insight into the topic as well. Every now and again we see someone create a new thread with an interesting theory which appears to be well researched. But the moment you start questioning them about it, everything falls apart and it becomes apparent that they are actually clueless about the topic.

It's good to have supporting sites/links/quotes for your post, but remember that this is a Discussion Board, not a Copy and Paste board. We all can Google. But we don't all have the knowledge or opinion YOU have, so give it to us. Tell us what YOU think.

Don't try and force a thread to the front page. Don't beg for flags or stars. Don't plug your thread everywhere you can. If it's a good thread everything will happen naturally. A front-page thread isn't necessarily a good thread. We often see the opposite - where trolling threads end up on the front page, simply because so many people post in the thread to say how much it stinks... In my many years on ATS I only saw one of my threads on the front page, and it didn't contain a single quote, link, video or picture. It was simply written from the heart.

And on that point - not everyone can be a great thread creator. So, if your thread doesn't get many replies, it may not be because it's a bad opening post. It may be because you gave so much insight in the opening post that there is very little left to be said. It may also be because people are not as interested in the topic as you are. Or there may be some other event or thread that's hogging all the attention and your thread is overlooked. It's not a mortal sin to bump your own thread by making a post in it with some additional information.

But most importantly: Think out of the box. This is the Internet. More or less the sum total of all mankind's thoughts and opinions. "A monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare" - Infinite monkey theorem. So if you are able to say something or think something that has never been said/done, you'll strike gold. (And therefore it's important to use the search function before starting a thread.)

Well, that's my opinion. Good luck, and remember to have fun. Unlike popular belief, this isn't a popularity contest. So don't make popularity the aim of your stay on ATS.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

This is how not to do it:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The most important thing in my opinion? Choose a topic YOU are interested in - something you can really enjoy and sink your teeth into - if not? It shows.

And have respect for the people that go to your thread and post - in other words don't forget giving those stars out to people who participate - even if you don't agree with them. ATS isn't about stars but people like to know the time they spent replying to a thread is recognized.

Good Luck!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Not much i could add to really, i have the problem of putting too much information in a thread that leaves little room for people to respond
, but for me i wouldn't change that, its just the way i like to write.

Space out your post well, everything bunched together makes things hard to read. Pictures are nice and break up the post but not always nessisary,

Use quotes from your sources but add your own insights as well so the reader knows were you are thinking from, dont be afraid to experiment with the bbcodes using the bold tags and italics tabs and coloured headings. and dont be scared of thinking outside the box at times.

Lastly i suppose one bit of advice i have learned over time is try to stay impartial in the OP, explaining both views on the subject you choose, it gives an opertunity from both sides of the fence to discuss the topic.

And try and not get sucked in by people trolling or petty squabbles in your threads and trust me thats hard to do lol, if you feel there will be issues your in your threads by users going off topic or baiting then report it and a mod will keep an eye on things.

Most of all try and have fun

edit on 19/5/12 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join