It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetic Evidence Gives Credence To The Lost Tribes Of Israel Are Europeans Theory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

A 2003 study of the Y-chromosome by Behar et al. points to multiple origins for Ashkenazi Levites, a priestly class who comprise approximately 4% of Ashkenazi Jews. It found that Haplogroup R1a1a (R-M17), uncommon in the Middle East or among Sephardi Jews, originating in Central Asia and dominant in Eastern Europe, is present in over 50% of Ashkenazi Levites

The Levites are a segment of the Ashkenazi Jews who are descendants of Levi, who was one of the twelve sons of Jacob (who’s name was changed to Israel). The Levites are an elect priestly class of Jews. This abnormal status acted as a driving force for tribal inbreeding. The Levites would breed with each other rather than breed with other Israelite tribes / non-Israelite peoples for similar reasons that European nobility would breed amongst themselves.

johnthewitness.wordpress.com...

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Its important that they know who are the Levites among the Jews as only they will be able to service the rebuilt Temple mentioned in Revelations.

correct?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ararisq
Its important that they know who are the Levites among the Jews as only they will be able to service the rebuilt Temple mentioned in Revelations.

correct?

I believe so, although not all levites technically qualify (just the sons of Aaron). If you're jewish with the last name Kohen/Cohen or a variant of it, you're pretty much in though as that's the hebrew word for priest, with Aaron being the first to carry the title - meaning you're likely a descendent.
edit on 5/17/2012 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helper39

A 2003 study of the Y-chromosome by Behar et al. points to multiple origins for Ashkenazi Levites, a priestly class who comprise approximately 4% of Ashkenazi Jews. It found that Haplogroup R1a1a (R-M17), uncommon in the Middle East or among Sephardi Jews, originating in Central Asia and dominant in Eastern Europe, is present in over 50% of Ashkenazi Levites

The Levites are a segment of the Ashkenazi Jews who are descendants of Levi, who was one of the twelve sons of Jacob (who’s name was changed to Israel). The Levites are an elect priestly class of Jews. This abnormal status acted as a driving force for tribal inbreeding. The Levites would breed with each other rather than breed with other Israelite tribes / non-Israelite peoples for similar reasons that European nobility would breed amongst themselves.

johnthewitness.wordpress.com...

I see two big logic issues with this:

1) the DNA study points to multiple, non-Jewish/Sephardim origins for the cohenim ( Levites); which, if true, conflicts with the 2nd paragraph indicating they only intermarried to keep pure for reasons of caste-based procreation.

2) a) The original Levites would have shared the same DNA, for the most part, as the rest of the tribes. That there is a divergence is indicating either i) these are not true Levites or ii) that during the diaspora, they had to engage in marrying outside the tribe, or otherwise procreated in other means with a group from SW Asia.
b) The chromosome is paternal, meaning from the father's side. The Jews have always known who they are, for the most part, even in exile and through attempts to breed them out. They also are not a patristic culture in terms of recalling heritage. While they do consider Abraham their father, they understand that Sarah's bloodline determined the birthright- thus the issue of Isaac vs Ishmael.
c) It makes no sense whatsoever to claim only Ashkenazim are descended from Levi. The historical record just isn't there. Maybe it was, but it's not now.

The facts and all aside, as interesting as they might be, the conclusions the portion you quoted reaches just don't mesh.

------

Per the question about the Temple, yes, they would need Levitical priests for the Temple to be rebuilt and run. How they plan on doing this with a sure handle on who is and isn't from the tribe of Levi, I have no clue at all. Perhaps they were very good about keeping track through the various pogroms, diaspora, Holocaust, etc. I dunno.

Judaism has always been matriarchal in a certain sense, and patriarchal in another, but given the history of the Jews, I'd say the paternal genetic divergence casts aspersions on the ability of the Jews to truly say whether or not one is from the tribe of Levi; and, if that man is indeed fit, per the strict guidelines placed on the Levite lineage.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Augustine62

I see... issues with this:

You beat me to it.
...and, let's just add the fact that "John the Witness" isn't a reliable source on... well, anything. He's a nutjob who believes that he is the reincarnation of John the Baptist as one of the two end-time "witnesses" mentioned in Revelation. He teaches unscriptural doctrines based upon his own dreams and visions, and upon utterly flawed interpretations of Scripture.
Avoid him like the plague, and don't base your beliefs on anything he says.
Stick with Scripture.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Helper39

Levites are the only priests in the 12 tribes and theyre the only ones who can touch the Ark without getting killed. The inbeeding is for obvious reasons but all the tribes usually inbreed in their own tribes, often marrying first or second cousins in the same family. Basically theyre all the same family anyway and even we are related to them if only very very distantly in the past. All humanity has the same ancestors if you go back far enough.

top topics

join