It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is the American school system so easy (and boring?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Hello all

I am 15 years old and in 9 grade and over the past couple moths or so I have seemed to notice that the American school system and the curriculum is incredibly easy to understand there is no challenge no complexity everything is right there in the book the only class I have a hard time with is math but that only because I can't concentrate in that class also it seems like that history is designed to be as boring as possible can anyone explain why that is? Also it seems like the way the schools are run are designed to create a generation of people who instead of fighting back will just go along with whatever the government says there is even a rule at my school that if you were in a fight even if you did not hit first the cops are called you get suspended from school and you get fined 500 dollars

also why are American kids so dummbed down? it seems like they have no complexity in there thoughts except thoughts about celebrities or whose dating who. am i the only kid that cares about what's happening to the rest of the world? and did anyone else go threw this with previous generations?
edit on 17-5-2012 by ninjas4321 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
its simple really people are lazy, they breed lazy kids. I had class mates when i was going to school who had there parents complain to the principal that they were getting too much homework.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
the school system is designed to produce a person with the minimal skills required to be a nice productive tax payer as that is what most people will be so if you can count to more than 10 without taking your socks off and can tell me who's the current Queen of England and what currency we use you'll probably be beating 90% of your fellow students so enjoy the fact that you can sit there and think your deep thoughts

and a bonus question...name a country that begins with the letter U

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
The school system is designed to produce a person with the minimal skills required to be a nice productive tax payer as that is what most people will be so if you can count to more than 10 without taking your socks off and can tell me who's the current Queen of England and what currency we use you'll probably be beating 90% of your fellow students

I think that about sums it up. I have a 9 year old that can tell you all of the elements on the periodic table in order, by number, or how many electrons are in a particular element. You can be as intelligent as you want to be (barring any dosing) but the general attitude of the state, to the people, is that they are undesirables to be controlled and dominated and intellectuals are difficult to control.

If you want to be floored about how ignorant all of us are - then start reading science literature from 200 years ago, even 2000 years ago. Each generation, a small number of people rise to the top and the vast majority sink lower and lower in to ignorance.
edit on 5/17/2012 by ararisq because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
It would seem that you all ready know the answers to your questions. The Government does not want a educated population. They only teach you enough to work a 8hr day job. The rest is up to you. You have a opportunity to wake up your teachers and your class mates threw learning about the topics that are presented at school. You say the history class is boring? Make it fun by learning every thing you can about a topic and presented to your class so you can expose conspiracy. I wish I was able to see when I was in high school, I would have been able to change the whole school.
edit on 17-5-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Even though i can't really say nothing from personal experience, i have something to add to the thread.

a friend of mine from college was part of an exchange (spelling?) program back in 2004/2005 when he was in his last high school year. he spent a great year in Austin, Texas with a very nice and laid back family.

the only bad thing about it was that a year later, when he entered college in Lisbon (we're from Portugal), he noticed how ill-prepared he was regarding university mathematics. he told me how good he used to be at maths when he was in Austin but here he just couldn't pass the maths courses (3 of them).

maybe he was just unlucky with his professors, but from what he told me his maths exams in the US used to be like "choose the right answer out of A, B, C, D"...

regarding History classes... well you'll be brainwashed in the US, in Portugal, in the UK, in France, in Israel, in Saudi Arabia, you name it...
edit on 17-5-2012 by Prokofiev because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I think there are many problems with current education. This is a fascinating video on contemporary education and the failures in our schooling. We basically have a 20th century education system that does not convert well to the 21st century way of living and learning.

edit on 17-5-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Thanks for the video, I liked that and agree with it. I think it might be on a bit of a globalization/UNESCO slant but to argue that our school systems in the United States work I think requires some divergent thinking - like maybe the school systems could be thought of as McDonalds training camps and McDonalds is hiring so therefore the US educational system works.

We realized when the teachers were less intelligent than our 8 year old it was time to take him out of the public schools.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Am I the only one who sees the irony in the poster saying school is too easy, yet they can't use punctuation?

posted on Jun, 11 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

I know this comment is three years old. However, I could not let myself not reply. It's been bugging me. Anyway, there is no Queen of England. There is a Queen of the United Kingdom.

new topics

top topics

join