It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran vows never to renounce nuclear ‘rights’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

TEHRAN: Iran rejects Western pressures over its nuclear activities and will never give up its rights, Tehran’s chief nuclear negotiator said Thursday ahead of crunch talks with world powers in Baghdad next week.

Source

“If we participate in the negotiations… it is because of our resistance (to Western powers). Thanks to our resistance, we have defended the rights of the Iranian people,” Saeed Jalili said in a speech broadcast on local television.

“The Iranian people will never give up even an iota of their rights,”Jalili added, in reference to the Islamic republic’s nuclear drive which the West suspects is masking a weapons programme. Tehran vehemently denies the charge.

This doesn;t surpise me.. and I actually think that Iran has the right to be a nuclear power, in terms of medical isotopes and such. Nuclear weapons, maybe not so much, but again, do we have the right to tell them what they can and cannot do with their own country?! I always go back to the Israel argument... they have nukes, they don't disclose them, as in they won't join any nuclear councils yet they are telling the world that Iran doesn't have the right to have nuclear technology.. total hypocracy!

I'm not saying thast a nuclear armed Iran isn't dangerous! probably it is, BUT isn't a nuclear armed Israel just as dangerous?!

“The path chosen by our country is a path of no return. The (West) would like to block Iran’s progress in the nuclear domain, but they have failed. Iran today has become a nuclear power,” he added.

Your thoughts?!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I predict ATS's left wingers will applaud this, even though they oppose nuclear power/bombs in America or any other western country. For whatever reason, the left has allied with extreme Islam.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Your thoughts?!

A nuclear armed Israel has proven itself willing to do whatever it takes to "protect" itself. Iran has some crazy clerics, but the government and people aren't stupid enough to actually try to use a nuclear weapon. They are encircled and completely overpowered, it would be the end of days for Iran, nothing but green glass.

Now, some would have you believe that Iran is willing to have itself wiped off the map (see what I did there?) as long as they were able to kill a few Jews in the process.

The statements and actions from Iran speak to the contrary.

Iran signed the NPT and as such, as long as they continue to abide by the rules, they do have a right to nuclear energy. Weapons... grey area, I surely don't want them to have them, I don't want anyone to have them......

Israel won't acknowledge their weapons officially, won't sign the NPT, and won't allow inspections. As well, Israel seems to be involved in, or part of, every conflict in the area. This is a recipe for disaster.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ideally yes, they have the right like anyone else.

realistically, this is like giving that crazy guy whom keeps spouting about how everyone is watching him and he is going to kill everyone a loaded gun.

I guess we can do it. Iran won't be building nukes anyhow, but the problem I see is not what they build, but what they sell and give to others whom will use. So, how do you counter this then...do we go with idealistic principles, or realistic situations...

I want to be fair as possible, but I am not keen on a dirty bomb being set off in the heart of Europe to show them infidels a thing or two

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

For whatever reason, the left has allied with extreme Islam.

Take a break from Fox news did you? That's an absurd statement. Iran has a democratically elected government, and isn't even home to some of the most extreme Islamic followers.

But see, you've in one simple statement, shown what's wrong with the average american.

You compare not supporting nuclear weapons, to supporting extreme islam.

you basically stated that the US and west is at war with a religion. It isn't, it's at war with a noun. Iran has a large Jewish population too, are they jewish-islamic extremists?

Am I a left winger for agreeing that, since Iran signed the NPT, they legally have the right to obtain nuclear energy? Cause that's not looney, or left wing, it's a god damned fact buddy. i'm all for making sure they aren't building a bomb, but I'll be damned if I doom them to dirty power and second rate medical abilities because Israel doesn't like brown people.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

realistically, this is like giving that crazy guy whom keeps spouting about how everyone is watching him and he is going to kill everyone a loaded gun.

Well actually, Iran hasn't been the one acting crazy, and in fact, they are currently surrounded by military bases, and have to listen to Israel and the US constantly threatening them with military action, including proposed small yield nuclear strikes on suspected hard targets.

Now, there is a nation in that area that fits your description. Crazy, irrational, convinced everyone is out to get them including their allies. And they, my friend, have plenty of undocumented nuclear weapons.

I guess we can do it. Iran won't be building nukes anyhow, but the problem I see is not what they build, but what they sell and give to others whom will use. So, how do you counter this then...do we go with idealistic principles, or realistic situations...

Well, Canada is creating medical isotopes, some of the very same stuff Iran will be producing. Should Canada be bombed just in case? If what MIGHT happen is in the mix, what about what HAS happened? Cause I can mention a country that tried to sell, and probably did sell, nuclear weapons material to a "rogue" state.

hint, it wasn't Iran.

We have to keep things in perspective, we can't take a hands off approach, that's just asking for trouble, but we can't just assume they will build weapons and nuke us all.

Proactively we need to help build and maintain their power and medical nuclear reactors. We have to keep a close eye and constant involvement in the process.

i mean, hell, Kodak had a nuclear reactor built in a basement of a house in effing New Jersey. Think about THAT for a bit.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
They should be able to do what they want.
Everyone else has got them why shouldn't Iran ?

Except for when America used them.
No one has used them and I don't think any country would be that daft.

People believe too much media and government hype about Iran.

Besides, with the technology that the US have at their disposal, Iran or any other country would be flattened before their nuke left the ground.......well sort of !

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Lets get 'em.

Canada is ready to help they helped in Afghanistan.....

What else do we need?

new topics

top topics

join