It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth Behind Numbers: Philosophy, Geometry, and Religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Creating space, finding shape...
Being that 2 points can be placed on any given planes, inwhich a line may be drawn as connect said points. When a 3rd point is introduced, you now have a given geometric shape, the triangle. Then in a similar fashion, another point(4th) placed outside said triangle(regardless of plane), which then results in a second triangle when connected.

Using shapes for identifying numbers...
Now present, these two combined triangles encompass two seperate sets of areas, or possibly two individualy defined planes. This pattern then carries on throughout the creation, expansion, mass and/or volume, in all of that we know is real. All of which, results in an ability to denote values towards amounts in relation to the whole, aka numbers... which then seemingly must include geometry.

Flawed reasoning, the devils advocate...
It could be argued that the addition of each point is the creation of numbers, for these points can be defined as existing independent of one another, and observed seperately. Although this is not an approach that I agree with, considering that the key is, 'amounts in relation to the whole'. It is the connecting and/or intersections of these points that support any notion of 'whole', for now it is a collective of 'space' that brings forth shape and form.

Who or what is the origin through which biblical texts are derived...
The point of the previous is to reiterate the idea that the universe and/or 'god' communicates through not only geometry, but as well numbers. The use of applied meaning towards numbers has been found present in multiple religions and cultures throughout history. Especially that of the OT AND the NT. Moses and John especially... Although my opinion as to the claims of origin, and authorship of such are not held by many... the idea that 'God geometrizes' or that 'God' uses the 'language of numbers' does not conflict with a notion that suggests that a mans hand indeed wrote the texts, and that the voice or word is indeed that of 'God's' when numbers are applied in such fashions as Gematria. A weird, round-a-about way of putting it, being not the focus of thread... for a later time.

I've got some questions...

With this being said, every interaction, influence, and observation can be described using numbers. Being that the same progression of numbers applies to all possible progressions and/or a given 'state' dependent on time.

Brings me to my first question...
Is it not possible that there is, and has been, a recognized 'story line' that also is a product of said progressions?

Then comes another question...
Can there be a philosophy developed in which aims to being the most conducive towards success, happiness and freedom for all, that is rooted and in direct relation with the previously stated 'story line' created through numbers?

Is it possible that success, happiness, and terms of freedom are primarily subjective, and vary between individuals... and in knowing this, a philosophy may be created in respect to said 'story line', that now acknowledges differences of opinions and positions, and aims to being the most conducive towards personal and individual success in pursuits?

The reason I ask, is mostly to hear opinions as to plausibility, and secondly...
Which is the most appropriate, moral, and/or ethical of these two philosophies?

Which then leads to another question...
Being that numbers and geometry are so closely related, is it not possible for the same approach to be taken with geometric shapes?
Can a philosophy be created out of geometry? Not a philosophy that is then given a shape for means of symbolic meaning, but the opposite.

Which then brings about a very interesting line of questioning I've been pondering for a long time now. I feel as if I have already found the answers, or developed a self truth as to the validity of these connections. Those being....

Why did just about every religious leader, or figure from antiquity practice forms of geometry and mathematics?
Is it possible that much of ancient philosophy(more or less Greek) was derived from geometry and numbers?

Some may write it off as coincidence, but there are far too many notable philosophers, critical thinkers, and religious figures throughout history that studied geometry, mathematics and religion to suggest that there is not connection.

Which I then present the last of my questions...
Is it possible that... lets say... the Book Of Revelations, the numbers found throughout, along with symbolic references(non-numerical) can reflect an undeniable truth, that is part of the previously mentioned 'Story Line'?

Although I personaly interpret this particular book to be more so rooted in astrology and that of a transition between Astrological Ages, one can not deny the strength in use of numbers found in Revelations.

If there are any links that some of you know of that aim to answer any of these questions, I would appreciate your including them in your replies.

my wordchoice is turquoise I love to create
my art hurdles over the clouds in dark purple
red mixes yellow and blue in sharp circles
paint splashes over your conscious like canvas
molecules rule unseen by deep glances
the music is rap, my favorite color is math
the plan of attack is bless the planet with wax
the caterer, the Darth Vader with the crossfader
you should never be afraid of the harm from armed laborers
we stay patient as we lay the foundation
in a simple composition for the future generations

Edan - Freestyle (lyrics)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

I'm supposed to be working, so I can only offer a brief opinion.

Is it possible that much of ancient philosophy(more or less Greek) was derived from geometry and numbers?

Yes, it is true. Take a look at Bertrand Russel's "History of Western Philosophy." Ancient philosophers were inspired by people like Pythagorus and Babylonian mathematicians.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
There are definitely connections between mathematics and philosophy. But I tend to think it's just that the logical reasoning required to understand both are the same, so philosophers find it easy to do what mathemeticians do and vice versa.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I enjoyed reading your thread.

I think you are looking into things too much. Not that there is anything wrong with that but the mind is programmed to look for patterns and formations in everything and if you want to find a pattern in something it will always be there because this is the very thing that enables us to progress as a species however it is what makes us most vulnerable to error because as we progress we forget the easier things and leave gaps.

Proof comes from things such as the Fibonacci sequence that can be found in everything from a flower to a human finger. It is like life is trying to meet or create something better than itself yet it cannot quite get there and is always getting closer yet further from perfection. Imitation is the highest form of flattery springs to mind here, im not talking about a biblical god, im speaking about something even bigger of course because a creator that did all this would not bother what anyone else thought or imagined.

I say this after spending a long time of my life looking for patterns, take it or leave it.

If you think there is a connection however, go with it, live what you must and learn what you must.because that is the whole point.
edit on 18-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

I enjoyed reading your thread.

I think you are looking into things too much. Not that there is anything wrong with that but the mind is programmed to look for patterns and formations in everything and if you want to find a pattern in something it will always be there because this is the very thing that enables us to progress as a species however it is what makes us most vulnerable to error because as we progress we forget the easier things and leave gaps.

Proof comes from things such as the Fibonacci sequence that can be found in everything from a flower to a human finger. It is like life is trying to meet or create something better than itself yet it cannot quite get there and is always getting closer yet further from perfection. Imitation is the highest form of flattery springs to mind here, im not talking about a biblical god, im speaking about something even bigger of course because a creator that did all this would not bother what anyone else thought or imagined.

I say this after spending a long time of my life looking for patterns, take it or leave it.

If you think there is a connection however, go with it, live what you must and learn what you must.because that is the whole point.
edit on 18-5-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

Yeah yeah yeah...

Fibonacci sequence dominates nature, it's all fractal by design, there's no perfect circle, and movement(spin) with creation pushes further from perfection.

If you are to remove time, and stop everything... as to taking a 'snap shot' this is when you get shape.

It's not that I(alone) think there is a connection, many others do as well. This is why I asked questions, as to find opinions... granted some of the questions weren't asked for my behalf, rather the audiences.

as to taking your advice.... thank you.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
To add more weight to this...

The so-called Pythagoreans, who were the first to take up mathematics, not only advanced this subject, but saturated with it, they fancied that the principles of mathematics were the principles of all things. —Aristotle, Metaphysics 1–5 , cc. 350 BC

The principles of all things...

There is evidence that Plato possibly took from Pythagoras the idea that mathematics and, generally speaking, abstract thinking is a secure basis for philosophical thinking as well as "for substantial theses in science and morals".

en.wikipedia.org...

I guess what I'm getting at... is that a majority of the world worship a God that is derived from a philosophy that is based on numbers and its progression in which creates a storyline. Although I would also just as strongly suggest that astrology is the basis as well for much of the storyline, which as well is communicated through numbers.

Regardless... number's accuracy and ability can not be denied... I've witnessed some of the craziest events and situations that were predicted through numerology and using this understanding that I'm almost a full fledged believer in it.

top topics

join