It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We give prison sentences for petty crime, but not for billion-dollar fraud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

About half of our world-leading prison population is in jail for non-violent drug offenses. Americans have also been arrested for handing out free food in a park. Mothers in Ohio and Connecticut were jailed for enrolling their kids in out-of-district schools. As of 2003 in California there were 344 individuals serving sentences of 25 years or more for shoplifting as a third offense, in many cases after two non-violent offenses.

How does the market deal with this steady tide of petty crime? It strives for more. The new trend of private prisons is dependent on maintaining a sizable prison population to guarantee profits, with no incentive for rehabilitation.

As the number of inmates has surged, the people who devastated countless American lives "get out of jail free." The savings and loan fraud cost the nation between $300 billion and $500 billion, about 100 times more than the total cost of burglaries in 2010. The financial system bailout has already cost the country $3 trillion.

(Source)

You've probably heard it all before, but the hypocrisy we're dealing with here is absurd. How much more economic damage is being done by the wealthy in comparison to petty crimes?

My guess is something like a trillion times more. But, alas, it's easy to have peasant scapegoats to pin the blame on while the economy countinues its downward spiral to hell.

edit on 15-5-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Yeah, well... Like they say, it's not what you do--it's who you are.

I've been noticing lately that at a certain level of privilege, the only laws you MUST NOT break are stealing from the other elites or doing something that threatens to compromise the club. But yeah: You've pretty much nailed it....

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Right neverrmind that

Madoff is currently in jail for the next 3 decades.

Blah.
edit on 15-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Right neverrmind that

Blah.

millions of people in jail for non violent crimes,
1 bernie madoff ?

really?

you are so transperant neo

xploder

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The hypocrisy is ludicrous. I have found myself wishing more and more that I was either a former community organizer, a Kennedy, or had Holy Grail DNA flowing through my veins.
But alas, being a 35 year old plain, white, middle class, homemaker has left me with naught but a court appointed lawyer and a promise of eons in jail if I ever decide to dismember "The Man"...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

Who cares?

Don't break the law that's easy.

the rest off topic.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Madoff is currently in jail for the next 3 decades

John Edwards said there were two Americas and people laughed at him. They probably aren't laughing now.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Yup, steal a couple of hundred do a couple of years in jail or on probation, but steal around a billion like former NJ governor/senator and MF Global Ceo Jon Corzine, and you don't even get charged.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
All the mystery goes away when we realize that money rules the world. Armies used to, and still do, since they're now controlled by money.

I would never have kids in today's society. Anyone who does, I'm sorry to you, is simply fueling the problem. The best thing we can do, in my opinion, is to cut them off completely. Stop having kids. Stop fueling this future that is based on exploiting the excessive number of people we have. If you don't agree with this, consider the law of supply and demand. The greater the supply, the less the demand. The more they can exploit people, the greater the number.

They will become ever-more powerful, I'm afraid. So sad that it would take an extinction-level event to clear this earth of the greed and corrupt.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

Excellent observation. I am only sorry I have but one star and flag to give for my country.
If you steal a little you go to jail and if you steal a lot you get a promotion and a corner office.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Right neverrmind that

Blah.

That's just Protective custody. lol

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

That's exactly what they want. Then their kids will have what would have belonged to yours.
You will be playing their game

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

Good point! I think the problem with that is that most of us have children before we are fully aware of how awful things have become. Truly, most of us feel really mature in our early twenties, but feel differently when we hit our thirties.By then we are usually done having children.

I have a daughter and worry about what kind of world I brought her into. Some days are worse than others though.

It's not a good excuse, but more of a reason as to why we keep bringing children into this world. Anyway... good post

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I agree with every single thing you said brother and I couldn't of said it better. This is a police state that is fed on corruption and is meant to drain the society of there independence and there money, commit a "Crime" pay up or go to jail, it's pay to play and it is only going to get worse until it gets better.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Here's the deal; those bankers wouldn't tolerate police abuse, bogus legislation threatening their freedoms, or any other form of threat from government. The question is why would you? Sick of the drug war? Embrace jury duty the next time it comes your way and if you wind up on a case involving illicit drugs, nullify the legislation. Embrace jury duty and if given the opportunity nullify any piece of crap legislation attempting to screw over a persons rights that you can, and don't stop there....

Pulled over by an LEO for no good reason at all? Challenge their jurisdiction. If you're pulled over by a police officer respectfully request they call the Sheriff's and have them send a Deputy Sheriff over. When they ask why, explain to them that due process of law began the moment you were detained and that you want someone with actual jurisdiction. When they attempt to tell you the Sheriff has no jurisdiction, explain to them that the Sheriff is - except for in New York - duly elected by the People and has a Constitutional mandate and that you are invoking that jurisdiction...

If you have some bogus Deputy Sheriff harassing you, then switch it, and now call 911 and inform them you're being threatened by a gang member. Use the LEO's against each other. Use the inherent jealousies that exist between them and use it to your advantage like any other rich and powerful person would...

Like any other rich and powerful person would, remain, at all times, calm and confident in the knowledge that you do indeed posses the inherent political power as an individual, which is, of course, why police with no reasonable cause have to ask permission to search your property or person. When you calmly and politely tell them no, and they threaten you with K9's, smile and explain to them there is a reason they had to ask for your permission and that reason was that there was no reasonable suspicion because if there was the idiot police officer would not have been asking for permission to begin with because they wouldn't have to. Explain that you are in fear for your life because you are defending your rights against an armed and dangerous person who seems to have no regard for the law.

When that police officers attempt to explain he is only doing his job, smile and calmly explain that police officer has neither any duty nor any obligation to act unlawfully. Continue in this manner and you will reveal your true power, and it matters not how much money is in your bank account, what matters is that you, and now the government thugs attempting to ruin your life, know you are powerful.

Or, keep shaking your head sadly and lamenting tragically that "they' get all the breaks and you get none.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Yes, I agree, its sickening!! Just yesterday I watched a History Channel documentary on how they catch people growing Marijuana in the Pacific Northwest. They are spending BILLIONS of dollars catching the farmworkers who are paid 10.00 an hour to harvest the the stuff but never the real culprits. I am not endorsing or condoning drug use in any way but its just so ass backwards and screwed up. The CEOs and Mortgage Companies have RAPED this country and yet they are still free to walk the streets. Its not right.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

Who cares?

the rest off topic.

What exactly is the current law, do you know all the little laws that exist? I didn't know you can go to jail for enrolling your kid in a nearby school through fibbing a little. What if something that is legal now becomes illegal and you are not aware of it. Do you really think only bad criminals get locked up? Really?
What if the law you break harms nobody and is only done in the privacy of your own home? Is it even a valid law then as it has no victims?
What if it becomes illegal to be of a certain race or religion? How can you then not break the law?

"Don't break the law" is probably the lamest, naivest yet most dangerous "tip" you could give to anyone. I can't believe you are for real. I sometimes despair.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Well this topic holds special meaning for me. My husband did something NOT THAT wrong and is doing more time than someone who's committed rape! (FACT!) Regardless, yes if you commit a crime you should have to pay for it. These banksters that cause millions of people to have to change their lives should be doing life! Just my opinion - Yes I'm swole about it. Thanks. Let the finger pointing begin. LOL

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

reply to post by XPLodER

Who cares?

the rest off topic.

Correction: Don't break the law if your poor or middle class. Otherwise have at it and rape the system till it's beaten and bloody if your part of the elite class.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Remember the golden rule:

He who controls the gold makes the rules.

It's always been the same throughout history, the rich don't give a damn about the poor, and never will, and will always be too powerful to touch by law.

That's why you need.....

THE PUNISHER!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join