It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel Won’t Be at ‘Biggest Summit in NATO History’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Israel Won’t Be at ‘Biggest Summit in NATO History’
By Patrick Goodenough
May 14, 2012

Israel will not be represented at the upcoming NATO summit in Chicago.

There seems to be a conflict as to Why however.

NATO member nation Turkey says they blocked Israel's attendance.

The Obama Administration and the NATO Secretary-General say it was because Israel was never invited in the first place.

The NATO Secretary-General says Israel wasn't "invited" because of Israel's non participation in some NATO operations, specifically in Afghanistan and Kosovo.

Incidentally, Israel is Not a NATO member.

Turkey and Israel have recently gone through a "diplomatic" crisis.

(CNSNews.com) – NATO’s summit in Chicago this month – the first on U.S. soil in 13 years – will be the biggest in its history, with some 60 countries and organizations represented, but Israel will not be among them, the alliance has confirmed.

Turkey, NATO’s only Muslim member and a country whose government is openly hostile towards Israel, has vetoed Israel’s participation in other NATO activities, but both NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen and Obama administration officials insist that Israel was not blocked from the May 20-21 summit.

There had never been any intention to invite Israel in the first place, they say.

I wonder why there is a difference of "reasons" ?

Turkey this year objected to Israel’s participation in a naval operation patrolling the Mediterranean, and last year threatened to use its veto if necessary to stymie an attempt by Israel by open a liaison office at NATO headquarters in Brussels.

Last month, Turkish officials told local media that Ankara has informed fellow NATO members that it will not endorse Israeli participation in alliance events, including the Chicago summit. Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu was cited as having made this stance clear during meetings in Brussels on April 18 attended by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The State Department at the time appeared reluctant to comment, even declining to say whether the U.S. – the host nation – would like Israel to take part in the summit.

I wonder what Israel thinks ?

Maybe they should just "Crash the Party" anyway

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'd seen this too. Very disturbing.... The first thing I saw was that Israel isn't a member so I figured well, okay. No Card, no enter. However, not everyone at any summit is a full member and Israel never has been in the past. So..they ARE being excluded specifically and individually.

I'm thinking Israel is left watching this and wondering how long it'll be until war comes kicking their door down. This is a statement that's awfully hard to miss. 60 nations....and they're told they aren't wanted. Yikes. They aren't Botswana or something. They are definitely on the list of nations whose opinion can effect world events and NATO priorities.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Israel now has 300 illegal nukes

Israel is in THE spotlight as its being adorned and prepped for starting WW3, namely by US & NATO

so of course they would not show face at such imminent times...

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I heard a conspiracy theory once don't remember where but the rumor was that israelies were told not to go to work at the world trade centers on 9/11, don't know if our was true or not but it could be that their planning to have something happen in chicago during nato summit.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

No particular reason why they would be a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Israel isnt really in the "north atlantic".

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
could chicago be the target?

... hmm, i doubt it...

the US are probably relieved, they dont have to pamper to this babies temper in front of NATO leaders.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Maybe they are been represented at the summit by the USA?

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by xuenchen

No particular reason why they would be a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Israel isnt really in the "north atlantic".

Well.

Turkey isn't in the "north atlantic" either !

Neither is Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Rep, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, and possibly a few others.

Hmmm.

NATO Members

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Okay, something stinks here. Your OP link says one thing, stories I'm reading elsewhere say something else entirely. Turkey didn't care, then yes they did. NATO never invited them, then yeah but Turkey vetoed.. yaddah yaddah.. Now I find a story questioning the whole reason why Israel wouldn't have gotten an invite.

The list of blocked actions, however, does not include Israel's absence from NATO's upcoming summit in Chicago, says Phillip Gordon, a senior State Department official.

"There is some misconception about this issue. NATO had not envisioned inviting Israel to the Chicago summit," says Gordon, noting Israel, like other non-member nations, is a NATO partner. "The Chicago Summit was never going to [include] a single meeting of all those partnerships and alliance, as a simple matter of logistics and time. There was no ... particular invitation to Israel for Turkey to block. That's just not accurate."
Source

Odd.. That article goes on to note that Turkish officials (It quotes w/ source) have said Israel wouldn't be at Chicago unless they apologized for the blockade action (Which the UN investigation cleared, for those in Turkey who missed that).

Oddness all the way around... Sure, they aren't in the Atlantic, but Turkey is a little distant as well. Estonia? Latvia? Well, there are 28 formal members of the NATO Alliance. Reports are saying up to SIXTY nations represented at the Summit? Okay... Here are NATO Partner Nations:

NATO Alliance Partner Nations around the World

Israel is on there alright. Right along with everyone else. If NO partner nations have been invited, that's fine but reports say far more than 28. Who sent the invites to the other non-members? Oh well.... I guess the writing is on the wall in big Sharpy markers.

edit on 14-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   
The Turks have been acting like children since the flottila raid. While i understand their anger to an extent, Israel had stated time and time again no ships would be allowed through. And the men on the ship attacked armed commandos with knives and clubs. I would fully expect my brain blown through the back of my head if i attacked an Israeli commando with a knife. These men wanted to be martyred.

Something seems odd here. Im sure if the US wanted Israel there badly enough, they would be able to rein in Turkey enough to get them there.

edit on 14-5-2012 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiggerPicture

So what you are saying is India, Pakistan, North Korea have illegal nukes?

reply to post by nightbringr

To be honest part of me wonders if it was to possibly block the use of the conference to launch a preemptive attack on Irans program. With over 60 nations present Israel would have a captive audience.

just a thought...
edit on 14-5-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

So what you are saying is India, Pakistan, North Korea have illegal nukes?

reply to post by nightbringr

To be honest part of me wonders if it was to possibly block the use of the conference to launch a preemptive attack on Irans program. With over 60 nations present Israel would have a captive audience.

just a thought...

Than why isn't Iran allowed to have 500 nukes with its own 'Samson option'?

Surely Iran isn't more of a threat than Pakistan, India or North Korea?

Part of me also wonders what would happen if Iran did have nukes and israel goes on the offensive. Game-changer or Game-over, we will leave that for the audience to decide.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The impression i got from local (Israeli) news is that Turkey indeed pressured to block (or not invite) Israel. US is ally of both, so they clearly do not want to pick sides and try to defuse the situation.
I am assuming that this "not invited" repsonse was somehow coordinated with Israel since local politicians - even loud mouth populist Liberman who built his career on exploiting conflict situations - did not respond.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DonVoigt
I heard a conspiracy theory once don't remember where but the rumor was that israelies were told not to go to work at the world trade centers on 9/11, don't know if our was true or not but it could be that their planning to have something happen in chicago during nato summit.

Or maybe the London Olympics.

2nd line.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Poor Gaddafi thought that US would spare him if he scrapped his nuclear programme and snitch in the Pakistani scientist for sharing nuke info with him, Iran and N.Korea.

He must have regretted that decision big time in his last moments.

So it would be utterly stupid for Ayatollah to have not created nuke stockpile by now as Iran is the only threat to israel as the rest of the ME countries have been totally neutralized.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
why does Israel need to go if their benefactor is present?

you think that anything said there won't trickle down towards Israel somehow through some backdoor comm chat?

also I would believe it's so that Israel wouldn't have to answer anything directly, it would all be hearsay and irrevelent.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by forklift
Than why isn't Iran allowed to have 500 nukes with its own 'Samson option'?

I see people make this same argument all the time and all I can say is please do some research. People are trying to compare apples to the chaos theory. It comes down to what each country is a signatory of. The UN, contrary to what the UN thinks, is not a world government nor is it a legislatyive body that can tell countries what to do if the country is not part of the treaty trying to be enforced.

Israel, North Korea, Pakistan and India are NOT signatories to the NPT / Nuke weapons treaty. Because of that they are not under any UN / IAEA / NPT obligations to not build nuclear weapons. If you remeber way back in the day we were having issues with N orth Korea on a weekly basis..... Right up to the point they withdrew from the NPT.

North Korea, Pakistan and India are all declared nuclear states.
Israel is not, and contrary to the informaiton out there about their nuke program, until an official confirmation comes from their government, its only speculation.

I make the comment about specualtion because I ahve also seen people argue that Iranian and foreign intelligence services state Israel has a nuke program. Fair enough...

If those people are willingly going to accept that information, whichi is based on blind sources with no way to verify, then the same standard can be and should be applied to Iran, where western intelligence sources are stating Iran has a nuke program of their own.

Secondly, Iran IS a signatory of the NPT / IAEA and because of that, are required to comply with the treaty stipulations / obligations, including inspections to ensure their program is not being diverted to military use. Something Iran has been stonewalling the UN on.

Originally posted by fbluth
Surely Iran isn't more of a threat than Pakistan, India or North Korea?

Iran has coinsistently denied their program is for military purposes. The part of the NPT / IAEA is verification. That is the part Iran is stonewalling (as well as enrichment levels, they go hand in hand).

Also, again those 3 countries are not signatories to the NPT and as such, are not held to the smae level as Iran. Iran voluntarily joined... If they dont like the rule,s they are free to leave the treaty, just as North Korea did.

Originally posted by fbluth
Part of me also wonders what would happen if Iran did have nukes and israel goes on the offensive. Game-changer or Game-over, we will leave that for the audience to decide.

To be honest I find the use of nukes by Israel or Iran to be nothing but armageddon. The use of nukes in countries of those size wont stay within the borders. they would be killing themselves depending on the way the wind is blowing.

Hell when Chernobyl had its malfunction rdiation spread over continental europe. The area around chernobly itself is quarantined and the medical issues resulting from that incident are staggering.... and thats just from a meltdown.

That alone should have been enough to persude nations, all nations, to get rid of them.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
You know, this Israel thing gets tiresome. Look, the whole Middle Eastern region has been fighting for over 6000 years. It's all centered around religion. Why are western nations even involved in this crap?

People will say, "Well, U.S is a Christian nation." My response? So? Western civilization was largely built from Greek philosophy and science, not tribals fighting wars over religion.

I get so tired of people saying, "Well, God's people are in the Middle East." No, all people are God's people. I'm just tired of hearing it.

As far as Israel not attending the NATO summit, my question is simple. Why should they? What is NATO going to do? NATO and the United Nations are failures just like the League of Nations. It didn't work in 1914 and it doesn't work now. You can change its name all you want to.
edit on 14-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-5-2012 by SpeakerofTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Israel is in THE spotlight as its being adorned and prepped for starting WW3, namely by US & NATO

so of course they would not show face at such imminent times...

Are you saying their nukes illegal like the U.S., China, Pakistan, India, Russia, U.K. nukes are illegal? Or is this a "Jews-can't-have-nukes" kind of illegal?

/TOA

top topics

join