It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using Radio Waves to Control Specific Genes in Mice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Now *This* Is a Cell Phone: Using Radio Waves to Control Specific Genes in Mice
Discover Magazine Story

Apparently scientists can remotely control cells using radio waves !!

It's been done with mice to heat up cells and activate a gene that produces insulin !!

Evidently, radio waves can isolate and control cells better.

Question
Can this technology work with Humans to cure medical conditions such as diabetes ?

AND, Could this be used as a weapon ?

With some clever genetic engineering but without ever touching a cell or an animal, scientist can remotely control cells using ultrasound, light, and, now, also radio waves. The electromagnetic waves can be used to selectively heat up parts of cells and activate a gene to make insulin in mice, according to a recent study published in Science.

But why care about radio waves if we have light and ultrasound? Radio waves have a couple distinct advantages over existing techniques.

In the current study, the radio waves didn’t heat up a whole patch of tissue or even a whole cell—it only affected specific pores in the cell, called TRPV1, that open in response to heat. To get this specificity, the scientists made special iron oxide nanoparticles attached to an antibody that only sticks to TRPV1. When they turned on the radio waves, the iron oxide particles warmed up and opened the TRPV1 channel, minimally affecting the rest of the cell or surrounding cells. Ultrasound, on the other hand, heats up a whole patch of tissue to 42° Celsius, which could have damaging or confounding effects on the cells.

Perhaps they can affect brain cells so animals could be manipulated to "kill" other animals ... or Humans.

Maybe humans could be programmed to "Kill" !!

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I believe it...or should I say my kids will pretty soon

join