It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing fears that huge North Korean volcano will soon erupt

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
I know this has been on the cards for a while, but it seems the spectre of a big eruption looming is raising it's head again.

A spectre? You wouldn't happen to be talking about the spectre of Communism are you? It is looming overhead and is about to explode.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Look on the bright side, this volcano blowin its top could be the best thing to ever happen to N Korea. Think of all of the aid they will get for a ramshackled country......

Aid groups love to give give give in natural disasters......that and volcano ash is the very best fertilizer you could ever want.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Mufcutcakeyumyum

In order not to go too far off topic I have responded in a u2u

In essence QVS Data list many links to information.

edit on 6/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Atisha

The odds of it blowing up are about as good as Seattle getting washed away by a Tsunami... Now the odds of China being fed Nukes to feed the North Korean's now that one I am nearly positive about.

Seeing as the odds of Seattle being washed away are quite good...................

..........you do realise that a Cascadia Mag 9 - which is on the cards - could raise a 50m tsunami that could travel as far as 5 km inland as it has on previous occasions in 1700, possibly 1600, 1200, etc etc back 10,000 years?

This is according to the geologist a 300/1 odds but they lie as they have no clue as to how to calculate odds. The odds are actually about 1/1 in other words it is due, overdue and imminent (geologically)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

The folks at Ice Age Now seem to spend a lot of time scouring the news and web for any sign of an ice field or glacier that is growing as opposed to the vast majority that are shrinking, then highlighting a particular instance when a glacier, due to increased precipitation, (due to global warming), is growing then shrieking about it, (look! look! Ice Age Now!), and the oil and coal company backed climate commentators go into overdrive to let the whole world know about it. I guess this is how they came up with this little volcano tidbit.

Irrespective of what they may or may not believe this volcano has been a potential threat for several years long before Ice Age Now got hold of the story. It just happened that I got the story there but it has been reported in many other places, the main source for the recent spate of reports being The Korean Times.

I suggest before you go spouting platitudes that you go off and engage brain in a little research in order that you actually understand what you are saying instead of simply acting as the mouth piece to pass on verbatim what ever drivel is thrown at you without even stopping to consider if it may be correct.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by marinesniper0317

Maybe we could all think really really hard and will the Volcano to erupt and destroy only the little fat dictator and military dinosaurs...I gonna start meditating really hard...

(this is good news if the fall-out is only on NK side)...

I am completely disgusted at the attitude on this site.

The people of North Korea have no more control over what their Government does than do you Americans yet you get incensed if the American people get tarred with the same brush as your Government. These are people we are talking about. Ordinary average people going about their daily lives in a brainwashed state like you.

The people of North Korea no more deserve this than you do so kindly shut up and take your disgraceful inhumane attitude somewhere else.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by budengland

Does the Volcano in N.Korea show something similar with the water and land levels? If it does perhaps it could be a better and more significant signal that the pressure underneath is reaching a 'blow up' level.

Yes 2 billion tons of water. A massive amount - something like 450 billion gallons (imperial).

The water level will probably rise as the magma pushes up a dome in the caldera, but i doubt if that would cause flooding. The main concern would be if - or rather when - the water comes in contact with the magma and you get a violent explosion that would hurl huge amount of material into the atmosphere.

The previous big eruption was a VEI 7 which is from 100 cubic kilometres of material ejected to 1000 cubic kilometres. At 1000 it would be a supervolcano.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

reply to post by stanats

The folks at Ice Age Now seem to spend a lot of time scouring the news and web for any sign of an ice field or glacier that is growing as opposed to the vast majority that are shrinking, then highlighting a particular instance when a glacier, due to increased precipitation, (due to global warming), is growing then shrieking about it, (look! look! Ice Age Now!), and the oil and coal company backed climate commentators go into overdrive to let the whole world know about it. I guess this is how they came up with this little volcano tidbit.

Irrespective of what they may or may not believe this volcano has been a potential threat for several years long before Ice Age Now got hold of the story. It just happened that I got the story there but it has been reported in many other places, the main source for the recent spate of reports being The Korean Times.

I suggest before you go spouting platitudes that you go off and engage brain in a little research in order that you actually understand what you are saying instead of simply acting as the mouth piece to pass on verbatim what ever drivel is thrown at you without even stopping to consider if it may be correct.

Since you are of the type that believes iceagenow to be a reliable source of info, I suggest you grow a thicker skin given the loonie tunes nature of that site if you are going to continue to use them to back up whatever postings you make.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by frontiergame

I wonder what would happen if they nuked the volcano mid-eruption. Maybe it would simply destroy the volcano and the lava?

In all, Mount St. Helens released 24 megatons of thermal energy, 7 of which was a direct result of the blast. This is equivalent to 1,600 times the size of the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima.

Mount St Helens was a VEI 5. Since the VEI scale is logarithmic this means that a VEI 7 is 100 times bigger or possibly as much as 2,400 MEGATONS. (ETA: 160,000 times the Hiroshima bomb or approximately 4 times the total number of all nuclear weapons than have ever been dropped/tested)

I don't care what nuke you drop on that it will just blow the nuke away like a feather.

edit on 6/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

Look on the bright side, this volcano blowin its top could be the best thing to ever happen to N Korea. Think of all of the aid they will get for a ramshackled country......

Listen folks. Stop with the poor old North Korea. You don't seem to have got a grip of the fact that this baby will spew ash out all over Japan AND America and later Europe. It is not the North Koreans you should be worrying about it is yourselves.

For exactly the same reason the radioactivity from Japan comes over, so will the ash.

God you lot are dumb. Stop bickering about Kimmy and start thinking about how YOU will handle that ash and possibly the fallout.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by stanats

Since you are of the type that believes iceagenow to be a reliable source of info, I suggest you grow a thicker skin given the loonie tunes nature of that site if you are going to continue to use them to back up whatever postings you make.

Did I say that i believed them to be a reliable site? No. Was I using them to back up what I had written? No. Read what is written. The site actually is no more loonie tunes by the way than the other side of the coin and all of them have an agenda so once again, engage brain before opening mouth.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

To the poor, brainwashed, starving people of NK, I hope they will be ok in the event this volcano does blow... To the crazy, young dictator who is running NK, I dont feel sorry for you at all...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Melting the murderous government in a pit of lava?

Sounds good to me. Bring it on, nature.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Only communists would be short-sighted and dumb enough to build nuclear reactors at the foot of a volcano.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Keep poking & prodding at someone & they eventually pop their stack. Looks like earth's had enough of being poked & shes about to show us whos really in charge. . She dont need nuclear to do it, but if youve got it why not use it. Gees reading all this could drive a person to drink (more)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Actually where i live we are surrounded by volcanos....so I got ya covered...Im used to it. Once a decade one of them goes and drops a nice dusting around where i live. Not too worried about me, not really worried about N Korea either...or Japan....honestly I don't really care, but thats just me.

I'm in it for the show front row seats and all.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GrandHeretic

Well at least like me you won't have worry lines then

I guess one of the main problems in addition to the ash if you happen to be in the firing line is going to be a massive cooling for s few years if this thing blows. That will probably get you where ever you are so if you are Alaska it may get even cooler and if you are somewhere else you maybe won't notice. I am guessing Alaska though.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sablicious

Guess Americans must be communists then by that reasoning, especially if we say dumb enough to build them on fault lines or subduction zones.

If you look at this map you will see if you move it slightly to see the west coast that there are at least 8 American reactors which are near volcanoes. In particular the one at Richland, WA is surrounded by several volcanoes at pretty similar distances to the Chinese one. So who is dumb?

PS: Really BAD bit of photoshopping.

edit on 7/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

reply to post by angelchemuel

Ha Ha, suspected as much. There are always around that number 'on the boil' at any given time.

I will see which of those are new ones, but in the meantime I have emailed GVP for an answer. (No not GLP, GVP - Global Volcanism Program - The Smithsonian)

I can only see one new one

Zavodovski Island - eruption plume detected on satellite on 27 April 2012

All the rest are continuing from earlier.

BTW there are only 29 red flags (erupting) on that page. Seems activity is quite low.

edit on 5/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Nope...disagree...you have to look at the individual orange ones too...some are actually spewing something since the beginning of the year...that's when the number does go up to the 50's.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

reply to post by angelchemuel

Ha Ha, suspected as much. There are always around that number 'on the boil' at any given time.

I will see which of those are new ones, but in the meantime I have emailed GVP for an answer. (No not GLP, GVP - Global Volcanism Program - The Smithsonian)

I can only see one new one

Zavodovski Island - eruption plume detected on satellite on 27 April 2012

All the rest are continuing from earlier.

BTW there are only 29 red flags (erupting) on that page. Seems activity is quite low.

edit on 5/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Nope...disagree...you have to look at the individual orange ones too...some are actually spewing something since the beginning of the year...that's when the number does go up to the 50's.

Rainbows
Jane
So then,.
would it just be speculation to say that there indeed has been a substantial increase in volcanic activity in the last two years? Or, there is in fact an increase. my guess is the second option..
My good friend Charlie Frost has a great explanation

edit on 8-5-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join