It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marco Rubio... how can he be vice president, if not a Natural Born Citizen.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Yes he was born in florida.. but neither of his parents were legal citizens at the time.... hence he cannot be Mittens VP...

Although Rubio’s name is mentioned more than any other as a potential GOP vice presidential candidate, a document found in the National Archives raises questions about whether the popular U.S. senator is qualified constitutionally to serve as president or vice president.

www.wnd.com... a-is-eligible/?cat_orig=politics

Yet the media just falls in line with this crap...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
LOL

Any Child Born in the US is automatically native born.

Does not Matter if they are legal or not.
edit on 2-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite
Yes he was born in florida.. but neither of his parents were legal citizens at the time.... hence he cannot be Mittens VP...

As Neo says, he's eligible. That's what "Anchor Babies" are all about. If he was born on US soil, he's a citizen. If he was born of US citizen parents outside the country, he's a citizen. Look it up.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Great.. Wonderful.... Clinton gave the country a form of sex that wasn't sex anymore with kids still insisting that nonsense with a straight face to this day. Obama's apparently going to give the nation the Natural Born Citizen clause as an enduring legacy and weapon to point at anyone in the future with the slightest question by that part of the Document.

Rubio is as legal as anyone here. This argument is absurd. He WAS born on U.S. soil and there isn't a doubt. I'm reading his parents were here legally, just not proper citizens. Well let me ask everyone something who thinks the founding fathers meant U.S. Citizens as Natural Born when they wrote the document? In context...these definitions, in this way, are always looked at in context.

Just exactly WHO were the U.S. Citizens to give birth to George Washington, Hamilton, Madison. Adams or Jefferson? I don't believe their parents had been properly vetted as legal standing U.S. citizens so I guess the whole lot of those men must be struck from the books right??

Or...In context to the times it was written, is it more likely that the absolute birth on United States Soil as a United States Citizen for the MAN RUNNING for office was more likely what they had in mind? Rubio fits it vor Pres or Vice Pres, as I know this to read.

Now if only the Supreme Court would take one of the cases and settle this nonsense forever. Too bad if Obama doesn't come out looking good on such a case....as Rubio shows, this goes far far beyond our current Ego-In Chief. This is a Constitutional headache that'll never end.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Rubio is an anchor baby?

Legal or not, Romney won't pick him because of it.

edit on 2-5-2012 by MiddleClassWarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Only the President is required to be a Natural Born citizen, the VP is not. If Rubio, who is "Native Born" but not "Natural Born" as I understand the Framer's intent, is elected as VP and something happens to Mittens (LOL I like that) the job would fall to the Speaker of the House.
edit on 5/2/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Except in this case he IS a natural born citizen. Being born in Florida that is.

This just sounds like Obama supporters getting even with the Birthers.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
parents citizenship status is irrelevant !!!!!!!

natural born by definition means you gain your citizenship by way of your birth on US soil

oh my god didn't this get hashed out over the last 2 years ?

oy

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This is defintely Obama supporters getting even with the Birthers. The fact is, as Wrabbit already stated, that many of the Founding Fathers' parents weren't born in the US (and I'm pretty sure some Founding Fathers themselves were born outside the US but I'll fact check that).

People are good at wasting their time making up crap to create a more interesting world. This isn't even an argument. He was born in the US, he's American. End of Story.

Edit: Alexander Hamilton, one of the more well known founding fathers, was born in the Leeward Islands for example.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Portugoal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp
Only the President is required to be a Natural Born citizen, the VP is not. If Rubio, who is "Native Born" but not "Natural Born" as I understand the Framer's intent, is elected as VP and something happens to Mittens (LOL I like that) the job would fall to the Speaker of the House.
edit on 5/2/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

What my classes are teaching on this and what the laws and precedent by the Court would appear to require is the equal requirement for V.P. as the President. Since one is the extension and meant to replace the other, it wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

I went and read over the 25th Amendment (succession to the Presidency), since that is beyond the class I'm in for scope and it definitely doesn't make allowance for an unqualified V.P. There is procedure for a missing one, and we've had times without a VP in office at all, but nothing allowing for even a possibility of conflicting qualification.

I'd love to start a raging debate in class tomorrow night if you have something I can hold up with sourcing to it. Even the suggestion for precedent would be interesting to bring up at the end of semester like this.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Source what? Just bring the subject up man, make those folks use their wits and look stuff up.
"Is the Vice President required to be a U.S. citizen to serve"? is all it has to take to get a debate going. Go on man, get those thinking juices flowing!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

A "NATURAL BORN CITIZEN" IS MUCH DIFFERENT!!!

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I am a potential Obama birther in the fact that it has yet to be proven, in the eyes of what the Founding Fathers believed to be Natural Born CITIZENS, that he is indeed one.

It has absolutely nothing to do with location of birth. It is citizenship. It was done for a REASON. Both parents required to be citizens of the United States in order for their offspring to be a Natural Born Citizen, whether their child be born in the US or China, so long as their parents are citizens. Why?

Because people born under "allegiance" to another country are potentially unfit leaders to rule the United States, having motives to not put the US first and foremost in their order of affairs and having predispositions for the citizenship of which they come from.

According to the logic of some, it would be perfectly fine for two illegal immigrants to cross the border, have an anchor baby, and then return to Mexico. They would then raise the child there until the age of 18 and then the child moves back to the US considering the child is an American citizen by default. He lives in the US until he is 33 years of age and thus, according to the logic of many, now fits the bill to become President of the United States, even thought the majority of his life was spent in Mexico, he has an allegiance to Mexico, and he is by all senses and ideals - a Mexican citizen.

In other words, being a former Tea Party supporter, an Obama semi-birther, I can say that I support the Constitution above all of that and it shouldn't have anything to do with "the Obama supporters getting back at the birthers" because Marco Rubio, to me, is not a natural born citizen, and should not be eligible for the office of President of Vice President.

But does any of it really matter anyway? After all...

edit on 3-5-2012 by gwydionblack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
IF he is selected (especially in the wake of the Obama presidency) then it looks like they will be stretching the eligibility requirement for the POTUS. A backdoor approach as the VPOTUS is next in line to serve as top dog.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doalrite

Although Rubio’s name is mentioned more than any other as a potential GOP vice presidential candidate, a document found in the National Archives raises questions about whether the popular U.S. senator is qualified constitutionally to serve as president or vice president.

www.wnd.com... a-is-eligible/?cat_orig=politics

Yet the media just falls in line with this crap...

Unlike Obama, Rubio was born naturally within the territorial borders of the United States. That means that even if both parents were aliens he was not. He is an American by birth.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

He is an American citizen by birth, yes.

But that still doesn't mean he fits the definition.

The Constitution didn't mean for ALL American citizens to be eligible for President. For anyone who things this is the case, then why the hell would they put any other language in the document such as "native born" and "natural born"?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Romney may pick him to boost his viability to the many 10s of millions of voters that can related directly or indirectly to Marco Rubio's back story.

Its quite clear to everyone by now that the White House is a suitable place to conduct social experiments.

To be fair it won't be the first or strangest:

Ronald Reagan proved that Hollywood Celebrities can be considered serious world leaders.
George Bush I & II proved that Americans aren't opposed to Monarchial Style political Dynasties.
Geraldine Ferraro and Sarah Palin proved that if your ticket has a woman on it your chances for victory are slim to none as Americans will chose a black guy and a catholic before a woman.

Might as well go ahead now for the Republicans to test out a Rubio...being that another George Bush is waiting in the wings anyway.
edit on 3-5-2012 by michaelbrux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Before I run out I just wanted to add, for historical context, that Martin Van Buren (8th president) was the first president not born a British subject. Also...

But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States. -12th Amendment

Count me as one the the confused.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
LOL

Any Child Born in the US is automatically native born.

Does not Matter if they are legal or not.
edit on 2-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Apple and oranges.

A citizen (naturalized or native born) and natural born citizen are two very different levels of citizenry.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MiddleClassWarrior
Rubio is an anchor baby?
Legal or not, Romney won't pick him because of it.

Looks like Romney is probably an anchor baby as well.
So I wouldn't look for that to deter Romney from picking him.
Romney HAS TO win Florida, or he won't win the race.

ATS Thread - Real Clear Politics Election Prediction Map

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join