It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

uk drought, just wondering

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
i was reading the news online and it said the hose pipe ban is until december.
anyone in england has seen that a day after the ban was in force there has been torrential rain.
some have even said this is the wettest drought ever.

wel i was thinking and please dont shout me down for this its just a thought and i might just be making a mountian out of a mole hole but what if the powers that be have put this ban in place because of the 2012 dooms day date. just seems interesting that the ban is until december the same time the supposed end of the world is.
are they conserving the water for the disaster

perhaps i am reading to much into it, im not even sure i believe in the 2012 stuff im pretty much on the fence.

heres the article (i know i know not the best)
www.dailymail.co.uk... ears.html
edit on 2/5/2012 by kerrichin because: add text

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by kerrichin

Quite aside from 2012 end of the world doomsday scenarios,one of the primary reasons for the hosepipe ban is the appaling state of the infra structure ,with treatment stations that have not been updated since the victorian era,pipework that leaks like a sieve and a general lack of investment by the water companies,although some have posted record profits lately,as usual they have been lining their and their shareholders pockets before even thinking about providing a functioning water delivery system.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerrichin
anyone in england has seen that a day after the ban was in force there has been torrential rain.

wel i was thinking and please dont shout me down for this its just a thought and i might just be making a mountian out of a mole hole but what if the powers that be have put this ban in place because of the 2012 dooms day date. just seems interesting that the ban is until december the same time the supposed end of the world is.

I doubt it. Until recently the weather was quite dry and most of us have seen the low reservoirs and rivers for ourselves. I actually thought you were going to suggest there may have been some weather modification to bring this rain on. Where I live, we've just gone through days of endless torrential rain. Probably a coincidence though.

edit on 2-5-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
oh cool.

So we can die of thirst then just die from the 'doomsday device' (reference to DR. Strangelove).

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if water butts are made illegal as your collecting the water companies water.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
It is a little strange that theres a hose pipe ban when we've just had the wettest April for like over 100 years!!
Dont know if it would be connected to 2012 tho? i did hear that it could a year ban, does seem strange tho.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
wettest april in 100 years so there isn't any real need to use a hosepipe.
but damnit you deserve the option to use a hosepipe

the river looks quite high but i haven't seen the state of the reserviours so i don't know why the ban is still in place until dec.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I wouldn't worry so much about some 2012 scenario. It all speaks for itself. Our water companies being privatised were sold off to all unsundry. To my knowledge those affected most like the Thames water district are owned in part by both an Aussie Bank and the Chinese. Just look at our water rates per year. We pay extortionate fee's to these companies to the tune of billions thus far and not one of them can be arsed to upgrade their systems or even deal with leaks adequately. They just rake in the cash and throw it at their shareholders.

Allegedly the torrential rain we have had for the best part of April is simply the wrong rain, odd that, they should tell that to my garden that's having no probs sucking up all that lovely rain. The trouble we have stems from these firms selling off many smaller reservoirs and treatment plants to build housing on.

It seems that all reservoirs are now at 100%, it's just the underground ones that are struggling due to this "wrong rain". It's laughable if anything else, rivers have burst their banks left right and center. Tewksbury is already badly affected, which is no surprise since I was at the Ironbridge Gorge last weekend and the river looked ready to go there, helped heaps by all the water running down the valley. Parts of York ended up looking like Venice. We are up to our eyes in mud, water and marsh land flooding.

People are starting to kick up a stink about it. A proper evaluation is being demanded. This is likely to go down in history as the biggest load of bollocks anyone has ever seen.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
theres flooding in alot of area's,

the weather seems strange to me this year.

why would you need a hosepipe ban when theres flooding in places?.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

"This is likely to go down in history as the biggest load of bollocks anyone has ever seen"

I totally agree with you on that one! i was in bath at the weekend and the river was overflowed onto the path!
also fields were flooded.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nake13

I thought that was the reason they sold `our water company` to the private sector? So that it would get updated before we joined the european union?
Victorian pipes, so what happened to all the water rates sice victorian times? No doubt it was scammed by govt. Used for anything else but the up keep of the system. As per usual we get the job of paying through the nose for it. I wouldnt mind if it was fresh clean water, that they were supplying us with.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   

First of all its not really a UK drought its England,second the reason for the drought was another dry winter so guess why a hose pipe ban would be until the winter? That's right that's when you can expect the most rain.

Some people just look to hard for a conspiracy in everything that happens

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by slaine1978
theres flooding in alot of area's,

the weather seems strange to me this year.

why would you need a hosepipe ban when theres flooding in places?.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Flood water tends to run off very quickly so doesn't help to top up reservoirs or the local water table that's why there will still be a hose pipe ban.
edit on 2-5-2012 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Here's what Karcher has to say, on the back of all their funky pressure washers:

www.karcher.co.uk...

Seems Hozelock offer stuff that can be used during a ban too:

www.hozelock.com...

I bet if the Water Companies owned Karcher and Hozelock, or the other way around there would not be a ban........
Or maybe thats just me being paranoid.
edit on 2-5-2012 by Mufcutcakeyumyum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Since companies make such huge profits providing us with what is basically a free commodity. These profits should be put into building more reservoirs and fixing leaking pipes. Instead the profits just get privatised for the benefit of a few individuals.

Sorry I know this has nothing to do with 2012, but neither does this drought.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well i still dont think the weather seem's normal to me this year.
and there's no hosepipe ban im my area. just have to wait and see what the weather's
like in the next few month's.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by slaine1978

Overall? Yes it does seem a little odd, but in light of the past few years this rainfall was overdue. Plus, apart from breaking rainfall records, this has to be the most normal April we've had in years. We got our April showers back, we should be rejoicing.

posted on May, 2 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
There are crazy floods here in the southwest, there are floods the size of lakes in some places. A few rivers have also nearly overflown too.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by kerrichin

perhaps i am reading to much into it, im not even sure i believe in the 2012 stuff im pretty much on the fence.

heres the article (i know i know not the best)
www.dailymail.co.uk... ears.html
edit on 2/5/2012 by kerrichin because: add text

What you're doing here is simply trying to mix chalk with cheese...absolutely nothing to do with each other?

"Just seems interesting that the ban is until december the same time the supposed end of the world is."

No it doesn't. My sister's birthday is in July, same month the Olympics start.......who cares!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I read lately that to live healthily a person needs 3 gallons of water per day.

The selling off of the treatment plants and catchment areas made worse by the ever increasing population in the South means demands outstrip supplies.

The only connection to 2012 that I can see is that during the traditionally dry months we are having the London Olympics where an even bigger demand will be made.

We cant have those tourists going without water, it would make England look like a third world country. Best deny its citizens who pay water rates than risk bad publicity that exposes the under investment in our infrastructure.

The water companies far from planning to address this problem are going to use this fake shortage to install water meters with the backing of the governments. Why?

A new indirect tax for us and bigger profits for the owners of the water companies

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
The "drought" was real enough after last years lack of rainfall, mainly in the South and South-East.
However, the North and Scotland had plenty of rainfall. This then leads to a realisation of just how screwed up this country is, where once again a national asset - water - was sold off to franchises / private "for profit" water companies.
So, instead of having a national provider, with investment in infrastructure that could have pumped excess water from one part of the country to those parts that are drier, we have a fractured (in more ways than one) industry that probably invests more in siezing water sources in third world countries than it does to repair the infrastructure back here at home. Such a vital necessity of life should NEVER be put into the hands of private "for profit" organisations. In fact, has there even been any benefit at all to the taxpayers who once owned all the industries and the infrastructure that were sold off, on the promise of better and cheaper services? I think not!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join