It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If there is no difference between a choice and a reaction, then there is no free will

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   
If there is no difference between a choice and a reaction, then there is no free will.

Studies have shown that the human mind is only conscious of a stimuli after 700ms that it has occurred. This means that the human mind is not aware of the present but only the 'past'. If it is only conscious of the past, then it is merely reacting.

Humans are just reacting to their human environment. However souls could plan their human experiences. However, the freewill that souls have is a 'singular free will' that is shared by everything thing in the Universe, because everything in the Universe is connected and there is truly only one 'singular free will'. This means that a 'personal free will' for each soul does not exist.

Each soul gets a part of the 'entire free will' to express its own qualities and fulfill its desires to know about the human reality for example. Souls preplanned their human lives to seek out their own curiosities of the human reality.

On the macro level, the Universe as a whole has a singular free will, but on the personal micro level, each individual soul does not have its personal free will.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by timerty
If there is no difference between a choice and a reaction

where did you find that peice of misinformation??

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   
My mind registered the title of this tread and reacted to this.

I then made the decision to read it. I made that choice. In the now, the present.

I also chose to reply. Not as a reaction to the thread, but the content I had read.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by timerty

All of the biggest life changing choices I've made came after a considerable time thinking them over. Free will isn't dependent on a split second delay of stimuli.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh
My mind registered the title of this tread and reacted to this.

I then made the decision to read it. I made that choice. In the now, the present.

I also chose to reply. Not as a reaction to the thread, but the content I had read.

You never chose anything. You merely reacted to this particular thread because the topic was most interesting to you. You read it because the subject was most interesting to you, you replied because that was the most interesting thing to do.

You simply reacted to what was the most interesting thing to do. You simply reacted based on your interests.

An action that takes much longer than a reaction does not make it a choice. Your perceived false notion of a 'choice' was merely the compilation of many reactions put together.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Logmafia
reply to post by timerty

All of the biggest life changing choices I've made came after a considerable time thinking them over. Free will isn't dependent on a split second delay of stimuli.

Your thinking is just many reactions put together. You simply reacted based on what was the most familiar or safe thing to do.

An action that takes much longer than a reaction does not make it a choice. Your perceived false notion of a 'choice' was merely the compilation of many small reactions put together to make a 'final' 'big reaction' you mistakenly perceived as a 'choice'..

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:11 AM
link   
What is the probability that your understanding of "soul" and "universe" may be incomplete?

Do you consider it possible that there might be more to learn?

You sure said "is" a lot in the OP.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

If there is no difference between a choice and a reaction, then there is no free will.

Studies have shown that the human mind is only conscious of a stimuli after 700ms that it has occurred. This means that the human mind is not aware of the present but only the 'past'. If it is only conscious of the past, then it is merely reaction.

I am having a hard time following the point you are trying to make. If I first need something to happen in order to determine my reaction, then how does that prove that humans have no free will? Why does it matter that it takes 700ms for my brain to register what happened?

It seems that what you are saying actually proves freewill. We see something, then we react.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaryStillToe

Studies have shown that the human mind is only conscious of a stimuli after 700ms that it has occurred. This means that the human mind is not aware of the present but only the 'past'. If it is only conscious of the past, then it is merely reaction.

I am having a hard time following the point you are trying to make. If I first need something to happen in order to determine my reaction, then how does that prove that humans have no free will? Why does it matter that it takes 700ms for my brain to register what happened?

It seems that what you are saying actually proves freewill. We see something, then we react.

I think many here are not aware of the actual definition of Free Will.

en.wikipedia.org...

"Free will is the ability of agents to make choices free from certain kinds of constraints. The existence of free will and its exact nature and definition have long been debated in philosophy. Historically, the constraint of dominant concern has been the metaphysical constraint of determinism. The two main positions within that debate are metaphysical libertarianism, the claim that determinism is false and thus that free will exists (or is at least possible); and hard determinism, the claim that determinism is true and thus that free will does not exist."

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
i'll just redirect you here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

you could also see some other free will threads, as you can see this was brought up not long ago.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by timerty

I'm going to put this quite simply and ironically..

We have free will because we have no choice but to have free will..

new topics

top topics

join