It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrying a Rifle in the State of Georgia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I've been doing some looking into Georgia gun laws and thinking about applying for a concealed carry permit. While researching, though, I've come across some information on rifles, or long guns as defined by the state laws, which suggests I could carry a loaded rifle around in an open, fully exposed manner without a permit of any kind.

Subsection b under Weapons Carry...

If you are not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm you may carry a long gun without needing a valid weapons carry license. However if it is loaded, you must carry the long gun in an open and fully exposed manner (this exemption is odd, a long gun is not defined as a weapon so I am not sure what law you would be breaking if you did carry a loaded long gun concealed).

And as for how the term "long gun" is defined...

Long gun - A firearm with a barrel length of at least 18 inches and overall length of at least 26 inches designed or made and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or made to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed:
(A) Shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger or from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged; or
(B) Metallic cartridge to fire only a single projectile through a rifle bore for each single pull of the trigger;
provided, however, that the term 'long gun' shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter (since the term "shot" is used instead of "bullet", a rifle that fires .17HMR would be considered a long gun). (16-11-125.1)

GA Gun Laws

Not that I would just tote one around, but I'm pretty sure it's legal according to the writing. Am I interpreting this wrong??

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jlm912

I don't know about Georgia but that seems entirely plausible. In my State as long as the gun is not concealed you can walk with it anywhere you like, handguns as well, locked and loaded. If it is even slightly concealed or you get in a car the rules change.

The average person on the other hand presumes this is illegal and even some of the police don't know the law so doing so and not getting stopped and questioned isn't likely. There seems to be this feeling that having a gun in public requires some sort of legal permit or a badge and in some states/cities it does but many states still have respect for the 2nd and many State constitutions prevent gun control laws in much better language than the 2nd even does.

You would still have to check out local laws though as in my state, in the capital the laws are different. I was looking into getting a concealed carry permit as well but decided I would much rather have it out in the open as a warning than have it hidden. Still might pursue the concealed permit though just as an extra legal protection.

You should contact your local NRA www.nra.org... they can tell you whats up.
edit on 28-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by jlm912

you are correct you can carry a rifle without a carry permit loaded and ready to fire as long as it is visible. Like a gun rack hanging up in the back window of your truck and also there are some who say you can carry a gun of any kind locked in loaded in your car, not on your person, without a carry permit. While I don't know if I would be willing to test that theory I do have my carry permit and keep a weapon in my car at all times, I am pretty sure also that you can keep a gun in your car without a permit as long as it is unloaded and the nullets are locked up separately I don't know anything for sure about this last one just what I've heard hope this helps some.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jlm912

I have no idea on US gun laws local or otherwise but your question did remind me of an incident a year or 2 back.
Man carries assault rifle to Obama protest -- and it's legal
Good luck finding your answer.

edit on 28/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Fixed link

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, everywhere I look confirms it. I can carry a handgun concealed and without a license in my own home as well as in my vehicle according to the state laws.

Taking guns to a protest -
"tear gas this"
Talk about ushering in martial law, though. There's not really a lot of protesting that goes on around here. The local occupy general assembly was maybe 10 people at their biggest that I've ever observed. Usually it's only 2-3 people.

I don't live in Atlanta, so I'm not gonna concern myself with laws of the state capitol. I do know it's illegal to discharge a firearm within Savannah city limits, though, under any circumstance. I live outside of em, however.

I also found it even more interesting that guns with barrels over 12 inches but under 18 aren't even defined as weapons under the law.

top topics

join