It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper's Hitler gaffe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Just when things couldn't get any worse, he had to open his mouth. The Harper government is sure taking a well deserved beating in the Canadian press over the last year. Lately we have the Lockheed Martin F-35 scandal, and now we have Harper trying to rewrite history to support his argument

On Thursday, during a heated exchange about when Canadian troops would finally be leaving Afghanistan, Harper responded to pointed questions from NDP leader Thomas Mulcair by stating: "Unlike the NDP, we are not going to ideologically have a position regardless of circumstances," he said.

"The leader of the NDP, in 1939, did not even want to support war against Hitler."

Harper was referring to pacifist CCF leader J.S. Woodsworth, well known for voicing lonely opposition in 1939 to Canada's participation in the Second World War.

After howls from the opposition benches about Harper's misstatement, he tried to laugh it off by blurring the distinction between the NDP and CCF.

"OK, CCF, same difference," Harper said. "Parties do change their names from time to time." Harper's casual rewrite of history gave creative Twitter users all the inspiration they needed: "It is a fact that, at the time, the #ndp refused to support our troops during the War of 1812," read a typical example from the flood of tweets unleashed by the Harper-NDP flap.

www.canada.com...

I used to genuinely dislike this guy, but now I just feel sorry for him. His pathetic attempts to steer public opinion keep on backfiring and he is one of the most mocked in Canadian history and it's only getting worse.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

I have disliked 3 canadian PM the most, namely Mulrony for this NAFTA agreement, Champell for the blatant miscarriage of justice on the innocent man convicted of murder, - forgot his name now. And naturally Harper. The PC governments seem to have a tendency to emulate strongly the US Republican party. And harper especially seems to be riding on a christian fundamentialis wave. As a Canadian, - Immigrant from NEUTRAL Austria - I had chosen canada as place to immigrate to especially for their back then pretty "Neutral" foreign policy. I had thought that with the end of the cold war, Canada would also exit NATO and become a true independent nation and a neutral one. Just the opposite seemed to is happening.
As a member of the Green Party, I have been made aware that NAFTA has a hardly ever mentionioned little clause that ensures that over 60% of Canadas energy is destined for the US market. This then in essence makes Canada nothing but another US "Backyard" - just that instead of being Spanish speaking as the guys south of the USA, we happen to speak English and live in Igloos as any educated American will tell you.
Naturally the "Reichtag Fire" of 9-11, saw Canada perforing its biggest political mistakes. Also the Liberals refused to go along with the Iraq invasion, they stil did foolishly enough fall for the Afghan trap.
Also the Canadian Forces can claim a proud history of "Just" wars to have engaged in, WW1 & 2, Not the Zulu war nor the Korean one. The Afghan and later the participation in Libya sure places now our Armed Forces among the ranks of war criminals. And naturally Harper is just too happy with this idea and label.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The NDP also support child molestors and murderers and they probably killed Jesus too...

I think Harper is spot on in this case, a man just speaking the truth...

*sigh*

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
the same interests put Harper and Hitler in power
Im sure he knows this.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Ah, it all makes sense now.

This isn't a biggie imo. Parties do change their names. The Conservatives did it the most recently.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Guenter

The Harper government sure has adopted an American style of politics. Don't get me wrong, our politicians have always been crooked, but they have never been so blatantly pathetic about it. This in your face hard line rhetoric coming out of Ottawa on a weekly basis is getting out of hand.

Wearing a Canadian flag while traveling overseas no longer has the effect it used to.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Guenter

Wearing a Canadian flag while traveling overseas no longer has the effect it used to.

That I can attest to with my many travels across the globe. The Canadian Passport or flag no longer gives people the impressions it used to. When I correct people in telling them that i am Canadian and NOT american, the usual answere is "Same F***** Sh**".

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
And as for parties changing their name, the current sask party changed the name of their former party, the progressive conservatives after a few prominent figures were charged with fraud and other various nefarious bs.
They changed the name under illegal terms, and it sat in the court system for years, where nothing ever really came of it.
The premier is harper's "mini-me", and has been groomed for almost 2 years to take over harper's evil reign, is mr. bradwall.
And people continue to read the msm headlines and say "everything is otay".

top topics

join